Linux Live cable TV on XBMC Linux build
I apologize if this thread is redundant, but I have spent hours on this forum without finding an answer to my question.

I am looking to build an HTPC running XBMC on Linux (either OpenELEC, XBMCbuntu, or an install on a full distro) and am interested in that device replacing the Tivo STB I currently rent from RCN. Based on my understanding, I need to put a tuner card in the HTPC and obtain a CableCard from RCN. Will I be able to get all of my channels (expanded cable package without premiums) to play live and record with this setup in linux, or is this only possible with Windows Media Center?

If that is not possible, has anyone had any luck using a backend like MythTV to control a Tivo (as DVR and live TV tuner) through XBMC?
I've been researching the very same thing. And i think it has to do with the copy once, copy all, etc. I think it varies from vendor to vendor and across the various channels.
That's the impression I get. CableLabs, the consortium of cable companies that develops CableCard standards only approves WMC and Windows OS because they can control the flow of the signal from their cable network to your screen and everywhere in between. They see open source, which to them means potential security breach. Now on to figuring out how many of my channels are copy once. Most seem to be copy freely. Best of luck to you and your build.
I came across this http://www.missingremote.com/forums/cabl...aster-list maybe it could be of some assistance. same to you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live cable TV on XBMC Linux build0