Linux Volume control not linear
Yes :-) thx.

Something not working?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
As far as I can see, no. It changes the volume linearly, and everything looks fine to me :-) Haven't really tested it more than a couple of minutes, though.
Some more advanced use cases like AC3, DTS passthrough and multichannel output I described in the wiki for pulse - so feel free to test some additional things :-)

13.3 will get those changes and of course upcoming 14.0
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hi,

Just compiled it on Debian Wheezy.
I noticed a discrepancy:
A) XBMC and pavucontrol at 100%. Change XBMC to 0% and pavucontrol stays at 100%
B) XBMC and pavucontrol at 100%. Change pavucontrol to 0% and XMBC follows at 0%
C) XBMC and pavucontrol at 0%. Change XBMC to 100% and pavucontrol follows at 100%
D) XBMC and pavucontrol at 0%. Change pavucontrol to 100% and XBMC stays at 0%
Yes - that's something else, it's called "flatten volumes". Some distribution ship this config by default. Ubuntu does disable it (which is the "more to be expected state".

make sure you have somewhere in your /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

Code:
flat-volumes = no
And btw. debian wheezy ships a stone old pulseaudio :-) version 2.0 - I am happy that it works at all
Isn't flat-volumes for preventing change of pavucontrol by XBMC ?
I think flat-volumes = no in Debian (flat-volumes = yes is commented)

Why do we have a different behavior in scenario B and D ?

Thanks !
(flat-volumes = yes is commented) - yes is the default, see: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/luci...onf.5.html

Ubuntu explitictely disables it.

The big question is: what do you change in pavucontrol? - the xbmc stream? or the global volume? - xbmc won't adjust it's slider as long as you don't press it - but you should hear the difference in volume, when you change with pavucontrol.
Sorry I was a bit quick in explaining the scenario.

I changed the global volume in pavucontrol and when I said that XBMC follows or stays, I mean that I press a button, to see if it adjusts automatically.
In scenario B, after pressing the XBMC button, it jumps to 0%
In scenarion D, after pressing the XBMC button, we are still at 0%
Yes - global volume never ever changes xbmc's stream volume(*), besides you use flat-volumes = yes, then it changes it but only when making it more silent. This is the default on debian wheezy and what you see is exactly what flat-volumes does.

flat-volumes is fully counter intuitive.

(*) audio gets more slient but the stream value stays the same.
To be more clear:

If (flat-volumes = no), which is the default on ubuntu:

Reducing Global volume -> xbmc's audio get more silent -> but the xbmc stream value stays constant. As stream volume is relative to global max volume.
Increasing Global volume -> xbmc's audio gets louder -> but the xbmc stream value stays constant. As the stream volume is relative to the global max volume.

Reducing xbmc stream volume from pavucontrol -> xbmc's audio gets more silent -> xbmc's stream volume adjusts like the pavucontrol entry, you can see the silder going down.
Increasing xbmc stream volume from pavucontrol -> xbmc's audio gets louder -> xbmc's stream volume adjusts like the pavucontrol entry, you can see the silder going up.

Reducing xbmc's stream volume from within xbmc -> xbmc's audio gets more silent -> pavucontrol shows that change directly in the stream volume (not! the global volume)
Increasing xbmc's stream volume from within xbmc -> xbmc's audio gets louder -> pavucontrol shows that change directly in the stream volume (not! the global volume)

You can verify this by adding that option to the config file and reboot.
There is a request about that in Debian:
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=674935

I've read many times explanations about this flat-volumes but still couldn't get it. I guess it's late. Will try again tomorrow to understand.

But if you say that everything is OK, then all is fine !

Thanks !

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume control not linear0