XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)
Anyone hear about the Xbox One and discuss how it affects the HTPC market. For a LONG time we've known microsoft and intel wanted to bring PCs to the living room. Microsoft's WMC was a huge step in this direction but it ultimate never caught on wide spread due to how complex it was.
Xbox 360 was a step in the right direction with it's streaming integration but that too wasn't done too well. It worked great as a media extender with tons of things like TVersity, XBMC, Plex,

This brings us full circle to Microsoft's Xbox One. Xbox One is features HDMI passthrough, in that is connects to your Cable Box, and then to your Xbox One, allowing all of your shows to show up in Xbox's new guide, allowing DVR(supposedly for games but could be for TV too I don't think this is confirmed), and allowing integration with other devices so you possibly will be able to see stats of your favorite player while watching NFL as Roger Goodel was there promoting NFL and Xbox One as well. In short, we're seeing Microsoft's BIGGEST push into the living room yet.

Although I hardly think this is a direct competitor with XBMC, Xbox One certainly has the capability to extend a LOT of XBMC's features. I don't see it unreasonable for Xbox One, like the Xbox 360, to be able to pick up your movies, as well as all the meta data XBMC scrapes as well. In short, this could be the holy grail of devices to extend your media. Simple for users to setup, Allows you to watch all your stored media, live HDTV, and apps like netflix, etc.

What's your thought of how the new Xbox will affect the HTPC market, and whether it will integrate with XBMC (well whether we'll be able to make it work with it), and hell, whether we may be even able to install XBMC onto the new xbox, even if it's via hack as the new Xbox is in fact running Windows 8!
Makes you wonder how much we might have inspired Microsoft back in those original xbox days :) Sure, the idea has existed before XBMC, but I bet they had engineers checking us out :D
I think it's great that devices like the Xbox One make everyone's media and online streaming easier to access. I prefer XBMC because it is vastly more flexible in file support, the only hiccup being 10bit h.264 for a while but that's since been addressed. Ignoring the rare exception like that, you don't have to go 'So does this odd file play on XBMC?' and that's why I go with XBMC. At the same time, XBMC certainly isn't for everybody, it's high degree of flexibility degrades it's 'idiot proof usability' a bit.
I'm really hoping that Xbox One integrates well with metadata. XBMC is an AMAZING scraper, and just software in general. I'm really going to set my expectations high with the Xbox One. Then I'll be extremely disappointed.
(2013-05-22, 06:03)tential Wrote: I'm really going to set my expectations high with the Xbox One.
It's from Microsoft - you'll be fine.
who wants to take bets that it will be more limited than the 360 in playing back local media?
The Xbox One has a x64 architecture, and one of the operating systems runs on the Windows 8 kernel. Perhaps that second OS will be open for homebrew and XBMC could run on it?
(2013-05-22, 07:04)hardenbroekje Wrote: The Xbox One has a x64 architecture, and one of the operating systems runs on the Windows 8 kernel. Perhaps that second OS will be open for homebrew and XBMC could run on it?

They did mention apps, but i would imagine they were talking about something like the win8 app store.

Living in Australia, I could care less about all the TV features on the xbox one. I hope countries outside US don't get ignored but I have a hard time believing that. XBMC will always be relevant to me since things like netflix, hulu etc are not available to me.
I think since the XO has the ability to use Win8 Metro apps, it might renew (or create) interest in an XBMC project for that language. Maybe not a full blown port, but maybe the beginning of one or just a lite client?
It is doubtful that the One will be able to support all the formats that XBMC can handle, so if an XBMC Metro app could merely offer a superior alternative to playing/streaming, with the addition of a nice layout for displaying networked or local media.. it might be a huge push for the community in terms of recognition and adoption- which is the ultimate goal, right? Huh

I understand it may be an ambitious project, but think about the huge numbers that the XO can expose XBMC to!
Personally, the only thing that would make me buy it on day 1 is if its support for streaming your own media gets a substantial upgrade. Support for .MKV files, scraping IMDB to identify tv shows and movies based on their filenames, and integrating that into Live as it will your cable or satellite provider. Microsoft want to own the TV? Not everyone watches TV in the same way, or buys their content from them.

But the console is running on x86 architecture, so what do you think the hope is of getting an XBMC app on XBOX ONE? I doubt it would be hard to develop an XBOX ONE version, the trouble will be getting Microsoft to allow it on the console.
I agree, scraping for meta and displaying it beautifully is what makes XBMC so great in my eyes. If Microsoft wanted a serious bite at the TV market, one would think they would at least have something in that direction.

If other applications, submitted to the Windows app store, can (and supposedly will) operate on the console... I don't see why XBMC would be excluded if they went through the proper steps to get it approved like everyone else.
From what I understand, it's a very customized x86 architecture, but who knows.
The Xbox One seems kinda gimmicky to me personally. The whole hand gestures and voice control just seems pointless to me. Kind-of like when the first Pronto remotes came out (and I had one). They were really cool and awesome and the functionality was great but at the end of the day everyone realized that a full touch screen remote just wasn't super practical. I feel like the Xbox One COULD be the same way (but I've been wrong before) in that all the gesture control and voice control seems cool but in reality it's going to be more cumbersome than just hitting a button on your remote. And for me personally... I'll feel a little dorky sitting there barking out commands to my entertainment system. And on the TV thing... unless it works with satellite TV (which I doubt it will) then that functionality is kind-of a flop for many, many people.

Don't get me wrong - I'll still buy one but just for the gaming experience. If it could run XBMC (I know it CAN but will it be allowed) then I'd be ecstatic but I won't be holding my breath. I've already got my entertainment system setup to my liking between XBMC, Plex, Xbox 360, DirecTV, Apple TV and Sonos so I just see me swapping out the 360 for the XO and being done with it. I'll play around with the new functionality but I'll be highly surprised if I find myself actually using it on a day to day basis.
Yeah, I guess I see all that muscle in the XO and hope it will be put to good use by eliminating one of the other boxes on my TV stand. Any functionality of XBMC on the XO is a win in my books- may not be a perfect solution right away, but definitely a step in the right direction, I think.

The main thing I like about the voice control is the ability to power on (including the TV). That being said, with something as popular as Xbox pushing forward voice controls (and in another arena, Google Glass) I am really looking forward to this becoming a much more streamlined process and system. I probably won't use it much when powered on, but being able to wake it up with my voice while I look for a remote/controller is pretty exciting. Smile
The PS4 is using x86 architecture as well... any devs reading this considering an app for that platform as well/instead of XBO?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)0