XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)
(2013-05-22, 17:19)Rumik Wrote: The PS4 is using x86 architecture as well... any devs reading this considering an app for that platform as well/instead of XBO?

I doubt the devs are seriously considering anything for either platform, at the moment. Too much is unknown about either device for there to be anything more than cursory interest (at least at this point in time). Then again, who knows? Maybe they are looking into them (though I would be mightily surprised if they were).
XBMC running on new xbox Smile (in my dreams). I am sure that there is no way Microsoft would allow the playing of mkv's and iso's fully
(2013-05-22, 17:34)ralob Wrote:
(2013-05-22, 17:19)Rumik Wrote: The PS4 is using x86 architecture as well... any devs reading this considering an app for that platform as well/instead of XBO?

I doubt the devs are seriously considering anything for either platform, at the moment. Too much is unknown about either device for there to be anything more than cursory interest (at least at this point in time). Then again, who knows? Maybe they are looking into them (though I would be mightily surprised if they were).

(2013-05-22, 18:54)mrhyde1969 Wrote: XBMC running on new xbox Smile (in my dreams). I am sure that there is no way Microsoft would allow the playing of mkv's and iso's fully

Fully agree on both counts.
Why would either Sony or Microsoft open their systems up to every Tom Dick and Harry when their whole history is control control control. X86 basic architecture does not mean an open system, or drivers that interface with anyone who does not comply with their bullshit. IMHO this is a distraction from open source XBMC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Sony is already extending an olive branch toward indie game developers. Such a change of attitude would be great if continued further. Times are changing, if we, as consumers, can see the need for consoles to be more flexible- you can be sure that such big companies have had it cross their minds at some point.

I think it isn't about 'opening up their systems'- but the fact that Metro apps will be able to work on the new Xbox. It has nothing to do with control. If they allow an XBMC metro app into the market place for desktops, which, I see no reason why they wouldn't, what is to stop that same application working on the new console- if other such applications are able to make the jump?

This would not change, nor distract XBMC's mission of of promoting its open source software. It would instead help it continue to diversify into other markets, attracting new users- as it did when they opened it up to Android.
Will there be an open API to the video acceleration on Xbox? If not it's off the table isn't it? Does anyone even know the answer to that question?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I am not going to get the new xbox. But would if by some miracle xbmc was able to run on it.perhaps we should start a partition to Microsoft telling them if they allowed it happen then we would buy oneHuh Wonder how many would have to sign it for them to show an interest? Smile
Reading this thread (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=144569) it seems that there are a number of workarounds to meet the Windows Store's standards, and the issue is more that XBMC would need a lot of work to get into the Windows Store, and that Microsoft would most likely move the goalposts and find silly reasons to reject an XBMC app in order to placate their content partners. Porting XBMC to a Windows 8 app made zero sense for the type of home-built HTPC's most of us use, because any living room PC running the full Windows 8 can just run XBMC as a desktop app.

It would be pretty sweet to have XBMC working on the XO with full voice and gesture commands, but I can see why the devs would consider it a headache and a major diversion. What happens if they do all that work and Microsoft rejects it anyway? The XO will never be fully jailbreakable because it's too easy for Microsoft to brick your unit as a gaming console with software updates and online checks, and the door would always be open for Microsoft to change its Windows Store rules to exclude XBMC.
Considering I buy the majority of my games used, that alone is reason for me not to get the new Xbox. I'll stick with my HTPC.
I wouldn't need XBMC to run on the new xbox. It'd be convenient yes but not a necessity. I just used Windows Media Player to access my XBMC library and the majority of information showed up. Genre, Title, IMDB rating, etc.

Would being able to use the XBMC interface, and all of the nice plugins help? DEFINITELY. But if you could access all of your media, through Xbox One's interface, with the majority of the data that XBMC has, that wouldn't be bad either. I doubt it'll pull everything, but it'd still be great.

I think though that getting an XBMC addon to Xbox One wouldn't be that hard if we petitioned Microsoft. It'd be a more locked down version (no addons), but being able to access your whole media through your favorite skin would be a +. I really don't see why Live TV wouldn't work through the addon as well.

Like eg4190 says though, I think it'd be possible to make an XBMC that'd work. It's just would you want to put that effort in for that console?

@msarro no one knows the used game thing yet. It's a rumor. The rumors being spread about the new xbox are way out of hand.

I wasn't trying to say Xbox One would run XBMC though when I started this, just whether people though HTPC type tools/media would become more popular as XB1 is primarily a media device now for the living room and no longer just a gaming console. The whole presentation was Media media media, and barely referenced games, although they are there and will be presented at E3.
(2013-05-29, 18:50)tential Wrote: I wouldn't need XBMC to run on the new xbox. It'd be convenient yes but not a necessity. I just used Windows Media Player to access my XBMC library and the majority of information showed up. Genre, Title, IMDB rating, etc.

Yea but one of the things that many people seem to like a lot about XBMC (including me) is it's flexibility in terms of being able to play a wide variety of file formats. The Xbox operating system is very limited in this regard which makes it something that I wouldn't want to use for streaming my personal library.
(2013-05-30, 16:28)turnerm Wrote:
(2013-05-29, 18:50)tential Wrote: I wouldn't need XBMC to run on the new xbox. It'd be convenient yes but not a necessity. I just used Windows Media Player to access my XBMC library and the majority of information showed up. Genre, Title, IMDB rating, etc.

Yea but one of the things that many people seem to like a lot about XBMC (including me) is it's flexibility in terms of being able to play a wide variety of file formats. The Xbox operating system is very limited in this regard which makes it something that I wouldn't want to use for streaming my personal library.

Assuming it could play that wide variety of formats of course. If it couldn't play the format what's the point.

I really can't see a reason why MS wouldn't even want XBMC on the XB1. I'll never understand it as it's less work for them. Instead of paying 1-2 coders to do the job, it's done for free. But they want that closed system. I REALLY hope the XB1 plays more formats. Hell, I remember when I couldn't play MKVs (Does it even do that yet?), it was so frustrating.
the thing ive been thinking about with the xbox one is cinavia. Dont know if they will be required to use it, but all new blu ray players must have it which would kill using it as a streamer. The TV intergration it has is pretty neat tho.
What about using an XBMC box as a "cable box" with the HDMI pass-through? It won't reduce the number of boxes, but may be able to blend the interfaces just enough to work well if possible
I seriously doubt that the xbox one will be able to run even half of the formats that xbmc supports, same goes for the ps4. And oddly, sony's blu ray players can play more formats than the ps3. Odd that isn't it?

Plus the biggest and most stupidest thing with that is, m$ will charge a subscription for services I can get in xbmc, in my smart tv, and smart blu ray player for free.

Seriously, why charge for access to services I already pay for like netflix, love film and bbci player?
HTPC: Motherboard: Asus F2A85-V, CPU: AMD A10 6800K, RAM: Kingston XMP BEAST 16GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, LG CH12NS30 Blu-Ray drive, Samsung, and WD various 2 and 3TB for storage, Windows 8.1, one for all remote/FLIRC, Logitech z906 surround system.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC vs Xbox One (affect on bring HTPC to the Living Room)0