• 127(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-07-07, 21:01)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 19:36)noggin Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 16:25)jjslegacy Wrote: okay so I am a little confused.

I have always been using this:

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector

I guess I thought I was going to be able to get rid of the limited kodi as the washed out blacks in Kodi are a bit annoying but no biggie.

Since I have always been doing this - should I really see a change? I assume there is nothing really different?

I could run full on the projector but I would have to switch for other sources so doesn't seem ideal.

Thanks!

Washed out blacks are a sign that something is wrong in your configuration. The stuff being discussed here is about removing or minimising banding. Previous builds have had the capacity to get black levels right for both limited and full range displays.

A well set-up system should have black blacks...

just to make this clear.

- Full range xrandr, limited kodi + limited projector

this does not work for vaapi non-EGL. this is not only about banding but also about having foot and head room aka wtw, btb

Yes - that is the other benefit - though well mastered content should only have over/undershoot transients <16 and >235 and shouldn't have 'real' content present. (The headroom and footroom is there to avoid clipping over and undershoot on transients - particularly on older analogue sources that have been digitised. If you don't preserve them and process them you can end up with ringing etc. due to clipped transients. Of course if your display is scaling, processing etc. and you have clipped transients in your output from Kodi, you could see artefacts introduced I guess, so preserving <16 and >235 is definitely a good thing.)
(2015-07-07, 04:49)jjslegacy Wrote: I first tried to just remove all the xrandr settings I had in the openelec setup and unwind any settings I had in kodi.

This meant - chromebox would be at Limited ( I think?) and the projector was set at standard (16-235). I also turned off the use limited range I had set in kodi.
I had dithering setting was enabled by default.
This looked pretty good but the grayscale ramp still didn't look 100% smooth like it does with the full/software limited range option I had earlier.
You could try lowering the dither bit depth to 7 or 6 to get rid of banding. Using xrandr to set GPU output to full range is the better option, but if you try this, please report here. Some users may not be able to get around the GPU like that.
(2015-07-08, 01:22)lmyllari Wrote:
(2015-07-07, 04:49)jjslegacy Wrote: I first tried to just remove all the xrandr settings I had in the openelec setup and unwind any settings I had in kodi.

This meant - chromebox would be at Limited ( I think?) and the projector was set at standard (16-235). I also turned off the use limited range I had set in kodi.
This looked pretty good but the grayscale ramp still didn't look 100% smooth like it does with the full/software limited range option I had earlier.
You could try lowering the dither bit depth to 7 or 6 to get rid of banding. Using xrandr to set GPU output to full range is the better option, but if you try this, please report here. Some users may not be able to get around the GPU like that.

Some quick testing before my wife got bored and made me put the movie on showed that a bit depth of 6 looked pretty good. Will have to test a bit more
Quote:This meant - chromebox would be at Limited ( I think?) and the projector was set at standard (16-235). I also turned off the use limited range I had set in kodi.

This is problematic! As when chromebox is limited and kodi outputs FULL, which it does, when Limited in kodi is not set. It would be upscaled to 0 .. 255 and then again downscaled by the driver ... this is no good combination and should be avoided. The 6 / 7 bit would help a bit. But I would not suggest that combination - as we don't really know what "the auto limiting" by intel's driver does.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
makes perfect sense.

I am going to stick with full on the chromebox,limited on kodi and the projector. Although I did really like the picture when I had full set across the board but it's hard to do a real a/b comparison of those setups although I suppose technically they shouldn't look any different for bluray content.

Again thanks for all the work - great to see such enhancements on the vaapi side
has anyone here successfully built the EGL branch on i386? If yes, please provide OS, gcc version, mesa version
(2015-07-05, 08:28)fritsch Wrote: I want his Debug Log and the other logs from thread 1.

Hi again, sorry I've been away travelling and wasn't able to access my system remotely.

I've updated to the latest build (16.0-aplha1 from a few days ago). I was initially getting a blank screen on playing some videos but after fiddling with the rendering settings everything is OK. No crashes on stopping a video either.

Thanks for replying and apologies for not getting this over to you earlier. Thanks also for the excellent work with these builds.
I've build packages of the EGL branch for ubuntu trusty and vivid.
You need the following PPAs:
ppa:wsnipex/mesa
ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master

run sudo apt-get dist-upgrade after adding the PPAs.
First thanks for all the effort and time you spent on this EGL branch.

@wsnipex - thanks for the ubuntu packages,
anyhow in a first quick test / comparison between this packages and openelec package on the same hardware within the same sample files I can not reach the same good results (skip/drops) as I had with the openelec package. test within Openelec package

So first I added the 3 repository updatet and did the dist-upgrade and also rebooted the device.
I use the same sample files (from fritsch). In general high skip rate on the sample files.

So what can / should I provide to narrow down.

kind regards
Brujo
AS Rock Beebox * Kodi 17.0-RC2 * Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Mind providing the logfiles from thread 1?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-07-10, 16:39)fritsch Wrote: Mind providing the logfiles from thread 1?

yepp your are full right fritsch...

kodilog
mesa
dmesg

the "strange" behaviour is, sometimes the skip increase fast and sometimes not within the same sample files. Changing for example from Madi - Maci, vaapi bob when the sample run - the movie stops and I have to stop start again the sample.

kind regards
Brujo
How about upgrading to kernel 4.1 - which I also had in my build? Furthermore also bump xserver-xorg-video-intel on this one, here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572..._amd64.deb

Btw. also revisit vs my last image that I posted - in the first images we had simply forgotten to activate lanczos 3 optimized ... it was not used at all :-) - which explained the nice results at the beginning. Resualts are still nice, but yeah - you know ...
Ok will do the update of Kernel & xserver later on and give feedback.

appreciate your support...

looks fine with & Kernel 4.1.1 (will see if the Box freeze or not)

Hardware: Intel BYT Celeron N2930
video scaling method: in general Lanczos3 is to heavy for this Celeron

Bilinear
1080i50 with MADI / MCDI deinterlacing on a 1080p display: perfect
576i50 with MADI / MCDI deinterlacing scaling to 1080p: perfect
720p50 with MADI / MCDI scaling to 1080p: perfect
4kp30 with MADI / MCDI scaling to 1080p: perfect
4kp60 with MADI / MCDI scaling to 1080p: perfekt

Lanczos3
576i50 & 720p50 skip a lot and not fluid (MADI / MCDI / VAAPI-BOB)

until now I am very surprised with it - thanks a lot Guys - its somehow magic what you squeeze out of such cheap HW :-)
Tried to update 14.04 following the guide and the last set of PPAs

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2049190

ppa:wsnipex/mesa
ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-fernetmenta-master

but must have got something wrong as I seem to get rendering ("o" shows whats going on but the display is black) and audio but no display with all VAAPi methods: I will reinstall from scratch as its probably my fault. To jump over local issues I:

Tried Openelec image SadLatest ??)

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2046231

OpenELEC-Generic.x86_64-6.0-devel-20150705085847-r21092-g61fac66

samples from

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid2039227

Results

Hardware: Intel Baytrail Celeron j1900 Gigabyte -Brix 4Gb single channel and HDMI connected to 1080P display.

Bilinear
1080i50 (serverus sample) with MADI / MCDI deinterlacing on a 1080p display: no skips or drops, skips when displaying "o"

1080i50 (BBC News sample) with MCDI deinterlacing on a 1080p display: no skips or drops, skips when displaying "o", tearing/artifacts on ticker.
1080i50 (BBC News sample) with MADI deinterlacing on a 1080p display: no skips or drops, skips when displaying "o", no noticable tearing/artifacts on ticker.

576i50 with MADI / MCDI deinterlacing scaling to 1080p: no drops or skips, smooth scrolling but obvious artifacts on both MCDI and MADI

4kp30 with MADI / MCDI scaling to 1080p: perfect
4kp60 with MADI / MCDI scaling to 1080p: perfect but occasional ( not noticeable) skips when playing, skips when "o" is pressed to give results or overlay displayed

Lanczos3
576i50 & 720p50 Upscale & 4k downscale skip a lot and not fluid (MADI / MCDI / VAAPI-BOB) - BoB + Lanczos3 does not skip until "o" is pressed.

couple of questions. I read a large number of the 1900 odd posts , but the story is so fast changing due to the excellent work going on, it is now hard to follow.

I came to Kodi from mythtv as a frontend, ( for predominately 576i50 or 1080i50 off air recordings ), as I was "upgrading" from my old Acer revo to a shiny new nuc like BRIX. Mythtv has virtually no usable support for VAAPI and I had heard good things about kodi/openelec as a frontend.

post #1 states "If you are running a Baytrail NUC or a 847 Celeron NUC or comparable - choose Scaling: Bilinear and Deinterlace-Method: BOB"
"VAAPI-MCDI is not available on a Baytrail as this is an IVB based chip." [is post 1 just very out of date ? ]

I was so disappointed with the j1900 display quality after ion. I was about to replace my new j1900 with a 2975U, or possibly a 3050 nuc, hoping to get back to decent (ion) video quality, but now am confused whether the video quality is the same on baytrail and on haswell and braswell, with the current state of this code. My use case is predominantly UK HD Freesat, so 1080i50.

The story was quite clear ( buy a chromebox/2955u/2957u) before you inconveniently made the code so much better :-) :-)

I know this is not the " what hardware thread" but a summary of current hardware dependent capabilities would be really useful in the first post.
Hehe, yeah it's hard to follow I must admit.

We got MCDI / MADI fixed for IVB and SNB. BYT is the same as IVB.
With the EGL rewrite it seems that some BYTs are now able to do lanczos 3 optimized upscaling.

The first post is nowhere near correct anymore and I should close this thread and start a new one - dedicated to this ongoing EGL work in special OE builds and on Ubuntu 15.04.

So in one sentence: Since EGL was done, VAAPI is much, much, more useful then it ever was and even on Baytrail we now have very good results. Still the 2957U or 2955U in the chromebox are much more capable than a Baytrail. Same goes for the new Braswell GPUs, which are far superior to the BYTs, but those are still WIP and might not be as stable as one wants them to be.

Does that clear it up?

Quote:Lanczos3
576i50 & 720p50 Upscale & 4k downscale skip a lot and not fluid (MADI / MCDI / VAAPI-BOB) - BoB + Lanczos3 does not skip until "o" is pressed.

the Deinterlacing method should only make a difference whenever you run interlaced! So in the above quoted test, it is only used in the 576i50 case. Make sure to have set Deinterlace = Auto, never to On.
  • 127(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416