• 88(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
hi fritsch,

here is my setup:
GPU set to 0-255
Kodi to 16-235 ( Prefer VAAPI Render off )
TV 16-235
i was just wondering, if using VAAPI-MCDI as deinterlace method will break my chain, since it will call vaapi render while playing interlaced and progressive contents?

thank you!
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
MCDI forces vaapi render which does not honor the limited range setting. It has no influence on progressive content.
So if you are dependend on 16 to 235 range _and_ MCDI, the only chance you currently have is setting the GPU to Limited Range and keep the "Limited Range" setting disabled.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
since leaving gpu at defaut range which is limited btw, and kodi to full will produce some visible banding and colors level saturation, i think my only option is sticking to my current setting and use yadif deinterlacer.
thanks alot guys!
keep up the great work.
LG OLED65C8 / Denon AVR-X3200W / KEF E305+ONKYO SKH-410 / Synology DS2415+ / Logitech Harmony Companion / ZOTAC MAGNUS EN1060K (Kodi DSPlayer x64) / LightSpace HTL, DisplayCal, HCFR, Calman / i1D3 OEM Rev.B, i1PRO2 OEM Rev.E
I have some question.

My setup at the moment is:

- Intel NUC D34010WYK
- Panasonic ZT60
- Kodibuntu 14.0 RC3

The problem is, a can see a lot of banding and i don't know how i can fix this problem.

Which settings (RGB Range at all devices) are the correct one for my setup?
I'm a beginner in this and i hope you can help me.
(2014-12-19, 00:18)Flotho Wrote: I have some question.

- Intel NUC D34010WYK
- Panasonic ZT60
- Kodibuntu 14.0 RC3

The problem is, a can see a lot of banding and i don't know how i can fix this problem.

For best playback quality (no banding in greyscale ramp, blacks and whites don't clip):
GPU: Full Range
Kodi: Limited & disable Prefer VAAPI Render
TV: Limited
Downsides: forget about GPU Deinterlacing, Kodi GUI looks dull, crashed black desktop, not ok for gaming but if your nuc is htpc dedicated your are ok.
(2014-12-19, 01:09)sat4all Wrote:
(2014-12-19, 00:18)Flotho Wrote: I have some question.

- Intel NUC D34010WYK
- Panasonic ZT60
- Kodibuntu 14.0 RC3

For best playback quality (no banding in greyscale ramp, blacks and whites don't clip):
GPU: Full Range
Kodi: Limited & disable Prefer VAAPI Render
TV: Limited
Downsides: forget about GPU Deinterlacing, Kodi GUI looks dull, crashed black desktop, not ok for gaming but if your nuc is htpc dedicated your are ok.

Thanks for your help! Smile

Who can i set the GPU to full range?

And how i'm able to use the Yadif deinterlacer?
(2014-12-19, 00:18)Flotho Wrote: Thanks for your help! Smile

Who can i set the GPU to full range?

And how i'm able to use the Yadif deinterlacer?

check the 1st post from frisch:

Code:
# remove all those to set Full rgb range make sure to change HDMI2 to match your device
# starting from the next line, including end script
post-start script
sleep 1
DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI1 --set "Broadcast RGB" Full
end script

yes you'll be able to use Yadif deinterlacer, named as DeInterlace in OSD video settings.
# DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --output HDMI2 --set "Broadcast RGB" Full

Maybe I am missing the point / some script sets different, but AFAICS Full is the default setting for the driver.
nope, sadly not. Intel most of the time sets Limited.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Oh OK, was just going by what man intel said.

Can't say my TV looks wrong, but then I haven't put a ramp on it + you say mostly + I am testing bay trail with input swapping with an xbox so I didn't set the TV up like I am used to seeing from my main PC (game mode vs thx).
Doesn't the Intel driver try and be intelligent and default to Limited when driving HDTV Resolutions (i.e. 1920x1080, 1280x720) and Full when driving PC resolutions (1024x768, 1440x900 etc.)?

Personally I want the end result to be Limited range as my XBMC boxes are routed through AV Amps, and the other inputs feeding them (satellite receivers, DVD / Blu-ray players etc.) are all outputting 16-235 Limited range content (and all the source material I watch - TV, DVD, Blu-ray etc. - is delivered 16-235)
We all can find out :-)

Here is a testvideo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...-video.mp4
(2014-10-03, 11:13)fritsch Wrote: For the Baytrail users which highly suffer from GPU performance, you can try to install mesa 10.3. This is a rather easy task. It is enough by following these steps:

1.) Create /etc/apt/preferences.d/utopic with this content:
Code:
Package: *
Pin: release a=utopic
Pin-Priority: -1

2.) Create /etc/apt/sources.list.d/utopic.list with:
Code:
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu utopic-security main restricted
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic main restricted universe multiverse
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ utopic main restricted universe multiverse

Now run:
Code:
sudo apt-get update

And now install the relevant packages from utopic, by doing (remember that -t utopic):

Code:
sudo apt-get install -t utopic mesa-utils libegl1-mesa:amd64 libegl1-mesa-drivers:amd64 libgbm1:amd64 libgl1-mesa-dri:amd64  libglapi-mesa:amd64 libgles2-mesa:amd64 libosmesa6:amd64 libxatracker2:amd64 libwayland-egl1-mesa:amd64 libopenvg1-mesa:amd64

Would be nice if some baytrailer could report back with the output of:
dpkg -l |grep 10.1.3
dpkg -l |grep 10.3.0
dpkg -l |grep mesa

Edit: Thanks at newphreak for finding the missing package.

I had to remove this today as when I did a dist-upgrade it removed more or less the entire X stack of packages. Is there a way to still use these or are the trusty ones just as good?
Yeah, no bad reports on default LTS, keep it. Make sure it's fully uptodate though.
  • 88(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416