• 105(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-04-15, 07:45)fritsch Wrote: I don't use 14.2 anymore at all. It would be good, if you could consider a stable backend without teething problems, that way we have to hunt much less false positives.

Isn't 14.2 helix the stable release. or are you referring to TVheadend as the Live tv backend?
Yes. There is no stable version of tvheadend. Before we removed it from OE, we asked the tvh devs which version to ship and they could not name one as it changes daily for good or bad, nobody knows.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Switch to vdr, it is rock solid, fast, low on resources, never used anything so good as VDR for tv. I use it for a long time now, works without any problems (small ones, but nothing serious), and not to mention the great plugins like live, vnsi-server, epgfixer streamdev, etc.
@fritsch do you have any news regarding the new Braswell SoC boards? I cant seam to locate anything, also contacted mb manufacturers, but no new info at all. Asrock, and perhaps Asus, is the one I hope will make great Htpc boards, let's hope so.
Nope - nothing. Will come to market in May - so we will see.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, we're almost there. I hope Asrock will make a board with optical out, HDMI cec support, perhaps cir for USB remote power on. If Brashwell will do the job as we are hoping it will, that would finally be the best board. Strange that manufacturers doesn't consider this, after all, for optical out they need a cheap Realtek audio chip, and the CIR is also a penny, everything else is built into the SoC. It would be also an ideal htpc/NAS combo, just add a pcie sata card, and you have 2-10 SATA ports, and the SoC would be powerful enough to do basic home server functions (even Plex).
(2015-04-17, 06:51)gurabli Wrote: Switch to vdr, it is rock solid, fast, low on resources, never used anything so good as VDR for tv. I use it for a long time now, works without any problems (small ones, but nothing serious), and not to mention the great plugins like live, vnsi-server, epgfixer streamdev, etc.

Unfortunately VDR doesn't support the opentv epg for the satellite provider in my area of the world, even though it does support opentv for other regions like skyuk. So you only end up with now and next data in the epg. where as Theadend does and you get a full epg for the HD channels.

The plugin epgfixer may be able to work around the issue but would require time and effort.

I am on the unstable ppa for tvh but i don't have any issues with it.

If you were to ship a stable version of tvh it would be 3.4.
@redstorm although it is off topic here, but you should take a look at vdr plugin extended epg, it will grab epg data for you. If your provider is not supported atm you can contact the developer, he is very helpful. Remember, vdr with plugins can do (almost) anything, just need to know how to configure things.
@redstorm: Try first vdr with eepg plugin see if it support opentv for your region. If it doesn't as gurabli mentioned contact the developer.
This systems are practically same the codes are already there, i was really amazed when they added my provider how simple it was. It was just a matter of entering a pid number in the right place inside eepg.c file.
@decaturguy

As i said to Gurabli in a pm the functionally of the two is basically the same, however tvh supports a full epg for my region, where it VDR does not , i took a look at eepg, and my experience with opentv epg without the correct huffman dictionary and genre map you wont be able to decode the data.

anyway the issue was nothing to do with Tvheadend and was caused by an incorrect setting on the AVR and i have no desire to change something that works perfectly fine for me to something that will have less functionality (re epg for my region).

This is off topic, nothing to see here move along.
(2015-04-17, 18:07)decaturguy Wrote: @redstorm: Try first vdr with eepg plugin see if it support opentv for your region. If it doesn't as gurabli mentioned contact the developer.
This systems are practically same the codes are already there, i was really amazed when they added my provider how simple it was. It was just a matter of entering a pid number in the right place inside eepg.c file.

For some reason, even though it has been around for about 5 years or so, the UK Freeview HD (HD terrestrial in the UK) platform doesn't work properly in VDR with eepg. The Huffman codes that are used to compress the UK HD channels EPG (an initiative that avoided encrypting the HD services) are 'out there' (and I believe not entirely dissimilar to the Freesat Huffman codes) - however I think the way they are flagged isn't quite the same. TV Headend has excellent support for Freeview HD.

As an observer, TV Headend seems to have better support for UK and possibly Nordic stuff, whilst VDR appears to work brilliantly for Germany, and possibly also France?
(2015-04-17, 06:45)fritsch Wrote: Yes. There is no stable version of tvheadend. Before we removed it from OE, we asked the tvh devs which version to ship and they could not name one as it changes daily for good or bad, nobody knows.

It's a real pity - as for the UK, TV Headend delivers far better functionality than VDR. (VDR appears not to support UK HD channels EPG on DVB-T/T2 even with eepg), but I can see why OE have removed it as there isn't a formal release system, and some of the changes have been pretty radical.
@fritsch
This looks very promising news in respect of Braswell: Link

I'm not sure if the N3000 will be available for ITX motherboards, but the second lowest N3050 should be. It is 6W compared to 4W of N3000 but looks much stronger, probably a reasonable compromise in terms of speed and power.
The N3150 should be "very" powerful, running 4 cores, double L2 cache, and higher graphics frequency, still holding to 6W TDP. I guess nothing will justify the much higher price of N3700.

The things they wrote about the GPU performance looks promising, doesn't it? If it is almost on pair with the i5-4210Y and much stronger then N3520, it should be theoretically be perfect for our purposes, at least I hope so. I really hope in a few weeks time we will have a sample itx board.

And there is also VT-x and BPT available!

This will be THE htpc/NAS killer build for those who prefer their own builds (like I do). Get a nice ITX case, add a PCIe SATA card (2-8 ports), drop in a picoPSU or a small DC board PSU, put in your drives 2,5" - 3,5", install Ubuntu Server + Kodi, and there you goSmile

Do we benefit anything (especially on Linux) from the DirectX 12 and Open GL 4.2 support?
Yeah - that will become really great. I just tested the DX11 rewrite of kodi's decoder and render on my company's laptop - Hevc 1080p in hardware - really nice!
(2015-04-20, 13:09)gurabli Wrote: @fritsch
This looks very promising news in respect of Braswell: Link

I'm not sure if the N3000 will be available for ITX motherboards, but the second lowest N3050 should be. It is 6W compared to 4W of N3000 but looks much stronger, probably a reasonable compromise in terms of speed and power.
The N3150 should be "very" powerful, running 4 cores, double L2 cache, and higher graphics frequency, still holding to 6W TDP. I guess nothing will justify the much higher price of N3700.

The things they wrote about the GPU performance looks promising, doesn't it? If it is almost on pair with the i5-4210Y and much stronger then N3520, it should be theoretically be perfect for our purposes, at least I hope so. I really hope in a few weeks time we will have a sample itx board.

And there is also VT-x and BPT available!

This will be THE htpc/NAS killer build for those who prefer their own builds (like I do). Get a nice ITX case, add a PCIe SATA card (2-8 ports), drop in a picoPSU or a small DC board PSU, put in your drives 2,5" - 3,5", install Ubuntu Server + Kodi, and there you goSmile

Do we benefit anything (especially on Linux) from the DirectX 12 and Open GL 4.2 support?

8 drives spinning in the living room?
Me thinks you haven't actually tried that Wink
  • 105(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416