Linux - VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 4.8 Average
gurabli Offline
You got me here, I haven't done that, and I don't want to do that. I just wanted to illustrate that it is possible, or it should be, if we get lucky. If one goes with so much drives, probably building a separate has box is the solution, I completely agree. However, I'm running a home server with itx board and 4 hdd now, and it is still in my living room, in a Pioneer hifi stand, you can't even hear it is on. It comes down to choosing proper drives too, but still, you are right. I believe a 2 drive raid with another drive for system should do the trick for most of us, and that will be noiseless for sure.

HTPC: ASRock ION 330, 2x1GB RAM, 32GB 1"8 SDD, itx case, DVBSky S960 USB DVB-S2, picoPSU 120W
Openelec 5.0.2 DualAudio Build
find quote
y2kbadbug Offline
After following the instructions is it safe to update to vivid?

Using Tapatalk
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
No idea - never tried it. Is there something in Vivid that makes it running better?

"Your most vocal users are not reflective of your userbase" J.M.

Audio Engine: SPDIF has only 2 pcm channels. DTS, AC3 are encoded via those 2 channels. It's obviously clear that you are not able to change Speaker Layout when running via SPDIF.
No help without a proper Debug Log No answer yet? http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
find quote
laric Offline
Donor
I would think for a dedicated Kodi box there is nothing making it better in vivid. I guess those that wants to upgrade either just want to upgrade to be in front or is using the box for other X sessions

If my post helped you then there is a nice "Thank user" button on the bottom of the post.
find quote
jawilljr Offline
(Yesterday 08:34)fritsch Wrote:  No idea - never tried it. Is there something in Vivid that makes it running better?

Vivid has kernel version 3.19.3. Which should help with Intel graphics. Don't know, haven't tried yet.
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
I could think of:

+newer Mesa with bugfixes (10.5.x)
+ systemd (!) faster boot (needs adjustments to the upstart script)
+ kernel 3.19.x out of the box
- vaapi is still 1.5.0 and needs wsnipex ppa

As I am 120% busy with work - if someone could do those steps and would take over this howto - I would be thankful.

Audio Engine: SPDIF has only 2 pcm channels. DTS, AC3 are encoded via those 2 channels. It's obviously clear that you are not able to change Speaker Layout when running via SPDIF.
No help without a proper Debug Log No answer yet? http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
(This post was last modified: Yesterday 09:25 by fritsch.)
find quote
y2kbadbug Offline
I will attempt it. Might have trouble figuring out how to convert the upstart script to systemd, but if I figure it out I'll post the results.

I just purchased a newer NUC, the 5th generation I5 with Intel HD 6000, so I need the better drivers also, that's why I want vivid.

Using Tapatalk
find quote
fritsch Offline
Team-Kodi Developer
Don't forget to use the wsnipex vaapi ppa - without that a critical bug in VAAPI itself will make the machine crash on stop.

find quote
robo989 Offline
Fan
I recently treated myself to a new Broadwell i5 NUC...followed the how-to on page 1 and all working perfectly, except for one issue. every 1 in 7-8 resolution changes on start-stop of video I'm getting the "everything is a shade of pink" thing.

The issue doesn't go away by further changes to display mode and can only be rectified with a reboot.

Any ideas?
Thanks
find quote