• 115(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Quote:EDIT: Could you tell me exactly how to install these:

- Kernel 4.0.5 from mainline kernel
2016841 (post)
Quote:- xserver-xorg-video-intel https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572..._amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i xserver*.deb
Quote:- Wsnipex's i965/libva drivers - currently 1.6.0pre1
In the first post:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:wsnipex/vaapi
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
(2015-06-10, 21:56)fritsch Wrote: 15.04 + kernel 4.1-rc7 + wsnipex vaapi ppa + kodi nightly.

Should we use the latest available kernel (atm it is 4.1-rc8)?
Is the latest Kodi nightly also required to work properly with Braswell or even Helix would work?
Braswell needs: Kernel 4.1-rc minimum, furthermore it needs mesa 10.6 (latest commit), even better mesa master ... there were some very, very evil bugs in there until some days ago still ...

We hope to get it right on OpenELEC.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks!
I'm not sure, but mesa is included in Kodi or I need to install/update it too (besides the already listed 15.04 + kernel 4.1-rc7 + wsnipex vaapi ppa + kodi nightly)?
you need to update mesa yourself, its not part of kodi
(2015-06-16, 08:59)wsnipex Wrote: you need to update mesa yourself, its not part of kodi

Thanks! Can you please link me to a how-to for installing, updating mesa on ubuntu server?
There is no howto - you can use oibaf's ppa - but this will break, most likely even daily. We can think of packaging mesa 10.6.x if we want to do this or better when wsnipex has time and volunteers - I lack the skills of doing that in a launchpad compatible way.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-16, 09:35)fritsch Wrote: There is no howto - you can use oibaf's ppa - but this will break, most likely even daily. We can think of packaging mesa 10.6.x if we want to do this or better when wsnipex has time and volunteers - I lack the skills of doing that in a launchpad compatible way.

Well, it doesn't sound too good. It seams it is still not too easy to configure ubuntu to work properly with Braswell. I mean thanks to you guys I can do all the necessary things, but now I'm stuck on mesa...
Man, you are a great guy, but incorporate the whining into searching a solution :-)

For now on BSW:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

done. This gives you the possibility to test mesa and do bugreports on freedesktop. Not that hard, is it?
(2015-06-16, 10:59)fritsch Wrote: Man, you are a great guy, but incorporate the whining into searching a solution :-)

For now on BSW:

Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

done. This gives you the possibility to test mesa and do bugreports on freedesktop. Not that hard, is it?

Thanks fritsch, and sorry about the whining, I really don't want to sound so stupid. I'm still learning a lot, and when I want to understand something, I have millions of questions and become boringSad And it is easy to get lost when using googleSmile

You are the best community I ever came across, thumbs up!
I currently search a Baytrail user.

In order to do a blind test:

1.) Install OpenELEC 5.95.2
2.) Go here: http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/ and download
http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/720p50_h264.mp4
and
http://solidrun.maltegrosse.de/~fritsch/...samples.ts (link updated)
3.) Go to Video -> Acceleration and choose: Enable HQ Scaling when Scaling above: 20%
4.) Play the first file, click on the film role and select: Deinterlace: Auto Deinterlace-Method: VAAPI-Motion Adapative Scaling: Lanczos3 Optimized and Save for all videos.

Play both videos, press "o" and check the skip / drop values (and roughly a bit the fps values)

-> Report and write down those findings.

Next:
Upgrade your OpenELEC to:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...05f65d.tar (by putting it into the update-share and reboot).

Continue at 3.)

Please also report the stats (meaning skip / drop / (fps values))
fritsch asked me to report my findings:

Foxconn mini PC (nT-i2847) with 2GB of RAM and an Intel Celeron 847. The "TV" is actually a monitor running slightly higher than 1080 at 2048x1152.

All settings were set as instructed.

Before the updated files:

720p50_h264.mp4 - played and looked watchable, but not totally smooth and there were reported skips

576i50_mpeg2_samples.ts - audio played and the video was basically Optimus Prime frozen and flickering, with tons of reported drops and skips. Totally unwatchable

After the updated files:

Both files played perfectly smooth as far as I could see, and there were zero reported skips or drops. FPS was around 49.6 to 50.6.
On a baytrail. Zotac CI-320.

With 5.92:
720p file: Around 1500 skips during the playback. Doesnt skip many frames under water. Skips many frames and is especially noticable with the helicopter shots with the panning, during that part the picture stutters. Framerate jumps between mid thirties to mid forties. Picture quality however is great.
576 file: Around 2000 skips. However playback seems smooth, and doesnt seem to "stutter", framerate is a steady 25fps, so I guess that's why.
Both files had less than 5 drops.

With new version:
720p: file no skips or drops druing playback, steady 50fps. Best performance during a panning shot i have yet seen out of the BYT!!
576i file: no skips or drops, steady 25fps. Seems better, but maybe a trick (its hard to see past all the compression noise to be honest)

If you want more fritsch, just yell Smile
Thanks much.

So big thanks to FernetMenta, who made Lanczos3 Optimized possible on Baytrail chips. Those chips are now perfect for doing nowadays LiveTV (1080i50, 576i50 and 720p50), the latter two with brilliant upscaling capabilities.

We are looking forward to integrate those in real OpenELEC after (6.0 release). I will provide special builds with the patches picked on top from now and then.

Something, perhaps important, too:

Only(!) relevant for this special EGL build
Color Conversion (for this new version):

Prefer VAAPI Render Method in combination with "Use Limit Range" now outputs Limited Range RGB without(!) any upscaling to full and downscaling afterwards.
If you have a Limited Range TV, set your GPU to full range (xrandr) and check the "Use Limited Range" option from within kodi. That setting will rescale the GUI / Picture Gallery and so on, but keep the Video in its original Limited Range -> no banding anymore.

If you prefer everything on Full Range, a little shader scales the Limited Range to Full Range automatically when the above "Use Limited Range" is not ticked. If you don't need "Deinterlace" method for deinterlacing, cause VAAPI-MADI, VAAPI-MCDI and VAAPI-BOB are working nicely, you don't need to disable Prefer VAAPI Render Method anymore in order to bypass the Full conversion with using the SW Render.

For the future we are working with intel's mesa department to copy the NV12 surfaces directly. That way we will gain another 1.5 increase as we don't need to have VAAPI convert NV12 to RGB32 (limited) internally.

For source builders:
You need fernementa's EGL branch (Revert the pvr api bump, as other addons are not compatible with that one), libegl1-mesa-dev installed and a patched libva-driver-intel (see wsnipex vaapi ppa, we worked around a segfault there).

Known Issues:
- Sometimes when you seek, it segfaults
- When you press stop with Amber skin, AEON Nox it also segfaults.

Remember: This is work in progress!

Some stats on chromebox (dual channel memory):
Before (4k 60p): with bilinear downscaling -> 42 fps with lanczos 3 downscaling -> 18 fps
After (4k 60p): with bilinear downscaling -> 60 fps with lanczos 3 downscaling -> 59 to 60 fps with one skip per 10 second

So performance is, thanks to the zero copy approach, tripled.
awesome work FernetMenta and fritsch!
  • 115(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416