• 123(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
(2015-06-30, 03:54)lmyllari Wrote: I haven't tried this with the OE image, only my own builds from the EGL branch. Maybe someone could verify on the test build?

If you play a video, hit backspace to go back to the file list and select a new video while the other is still playing in the background, it won't start. Instead, the previous video is replaced with the menu background (I think). After hitting "x", video playback will work again for any video selected.

Have this allso, works as normal with OE 6 beta 2
@maxodolo: Could you please provide a Debug Log? It's working fine for me and fernetmenta - playback of 720p50 with lanczos3 with navigating the menus next to it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-30, 10:29)noggin Wrote: I realise I'm one of the few people who watch 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 content regularly, but it would be great to see it in full resolution (and without the odd deinterlacing issues that appear to hit saturated content)

Given what fritsch says WRT the driver not supporting 4:2:2 I assume the deint chroma issue is because kodi/whatever is converting to 4:2:0 assuming progressive chroma - in theory as long as your 4:2:2 is flagged as interlaced it should be possible to convert properly. I don't know if kodi does the conversion or if it uses ffmpeg. If it's the latter then there is a flag to do interlaced chroma.

Ironic that intel doesn't do 4:2:2 as on bay trail at least, the deinterlacer needs 422, so it's doing another (interlace chroma siting aware) 420 -> 422 just after s/w 422 -> 420 - though I guess it does expect 420 "normally" from the h/w dec.
(2015-06-30, 19:08)fritsch Wrote: @maxodolo: Could you please provide a Debug Log? It's working fine for me and fernetmenta - playback of 720p50 with lanczos3 with navigating the menus next to it.

Tested it again on my new braswell machine and an older ivy bridge machine. on braswell: skipping when overlays are on. on ivy bridge: no skipping at all.

kodi log from braswell:

http://pastebin.com/WjbdjXaQ

Max
I currently think that this is driver / kernel performance related. I hope for improvement with newer kernels (4.2) and upcoming mesa.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-06-30, 21:25)AndyFurniss Wrote:
(2015-06-30, 10:29)noggin Wrote: I realise I'm one of the few people who watch 4:2:2 rather than 4:2:0 content regularly, but it would be great to see it in full resolution (and without the odd deinterlacing issues that appear to hit saturated content)

Given what fritsch says WRT the driver not supporting 4:2:2 I assume the deint chroma issue is because kodi/whatever is converting to 4:2:0 assuming progressive chroma - in theory as long as your 4:2:2 is flagged as interlaced it should be possible to convert properly. I don't know if kodi does the conversion or if it uses ffmpeg. If it's the latter then there is a flag to do interlaced chroma.
At one point Kodi replayed 1080i native 4:2:2 as progressive if you left deinterlace to auto, and so you had to force it to on. More recently it has correctly automatically switched to a decent 50i to 50p deinterlace (assume YADIF 2x?)

However whilst luminance heavy content has deinterlaced properly to 50p, saturated, chroma-heavy stuff has appeared to deinterlace to 25p. It's almost as if luminance and chrominance were being deinterlaced separately, and the luma was being deinterlaced to 50p but the chroma to 25p?

Odd. And a tiny bit annoying as a lot of my content originates 4:2:2 and it would be nice to watch it full quality rather than subsampled to 4:2:0 (which is also a pain).
Hi Guys,

Sorry for asking such a stupid Smile question, I know you all hate them Smile But.
I'm going to buy a box to install Openelec/Ubuntu/Windows, It should be under 300$,
Could you recommend something? Should it be latest NUC (i3)?
Or ?

Thank you and again sorry for such a questions

Edited:
Interested in:
1. Best performance / picture quality / responsiveness
2. FHD, no need for 4k
3. Playing Bluray's from SMB share
4. IP TV
5. Using with some univeral remote

At the moment I'm choosing between new NVidia Shield & "Black Box" (NUC, Chromebox, etc)

NVidia at the moment does not support some containers pit of the box plus it does not support some bitrates.
So it will take some time for them to polish their device....
Ask in the hardware forum - you are completely off topic here.
(2015-07-02, 01:16)noggin Wrote: However whilst luminance heavy content has deinterlaced properly to 50p, saturated, chroma-heavy stuff has appeared to deinterlace to 25p. It's almost as if luminance and chrominance were being deinterlaced separately, and the luma was being deinterlaced to 50p but the chroma to 25p?

Odd. And a tiny bit annoying as a lot of my content originates 4:2:2 and it would be nice to watch it full quality rather than subsampled to 4:2:0 (which is also a pain).

The issue is that the chroma sub-sampling positions for 4:2:0 are different for interlaced and progressive and of course a de-interlacer will expect the interlaced variant.

If you convert from/to 4:2:0 you need to know whether to do interlaced or progressive. By default in the "computer player world" progressive is assumed. Doing this results in interlaced chroma bleeding between fields - which confuses de-interlacers, and can look like you describe - IME what it looks like varies with the de-interlacer and the content/speed/direction etc.

Playing with kodi git from today using gl renderer I can see that ffmpeg is doing a progressive scale - I don't know anything about how kodi calls ffmpeg but from cli ffmpeg experience with interlaced content the words "auto inserted scaler" tend to be bad news.

Code:
16:50:02 T:140492792747776   DEBUG: ffmpeg[7FC707015700]: [src] w:704 h:576 pixfmt:yuv422p tb:1/50 fr:0/1 sar:1/1 sws_param:
16:50:02 T:140492792747776   DEBUG: ffmpeg[7FC707015700]: [auto-inserted scaler 0] w:iw h:ih flags:'bilinear' interl:0
16:50:02 T:140492792747776   DEBUG: ffmpeg[7FC707015700]: [Parsed_yadif_0] auto-inserting filter 'auto-inserted scaler 0' between the filter 'src' and the filter 'Parsed_yadif_0'
16:50:02 T:140492792747776   DEBUG: ffmpeg[7FC707015700]: [auto-inserted scaler 0] w:704 h:576 fmt:yuv422p sar:1/1 -> w:704 h:576 fmt:yuv420p sar:1/1 flags:0x2

interl:0 means progressive. As it happens ffmpegs yadif can take 4:2:2 so had the scaler been after it all would have been good. Still 4:2:0 though - I assume kodi gl yuv->rgb doesn't do 4:2:2?

The same happens without de-interlacer enabled.

Random kodi git observations - the preview picture for 422 looks wrong ( I guess it blindly assumes 420). While messing with per vid deint settings they sometimes failed to save - but then maybe I was not always quiing cleanly enough eg.change setting <s> enter on highlighted <exit>

Other thoughts - yadif needs a lot of cpu for HD content fine for SD. I don't know what h/w you use but even though radeonsi vdpau advertises 422 (packed) it doesn't work. It's possible to workaround but not (IIRC) that safe!
Rebased EGL builds on latest OE master (including kodi -rc1)
Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...271.img.gz
Update-tar: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5572...d85271.tar
I'm getting a crash every time I stop playing a video. Using a gigabyte brix celeron 1037u running Ubuntu 14.04.

Interestingly, if I press back button so video plays behind menu and hit stop then it's OK.
No you don't - cause I don't see your crashlog ...

Edit: Now without kidding, nobody can help you if you don't provide a Debug Log and a crashlog (which my builds should produce) ... as it obviously works for all the others ... and all the other things mentioned in thread 1(!) are mandatory.
(2015-06-30, 03:54)lmyllari Wrote: I haven't tried this with the OE image, only my own builds from the EGL branch. Maybe someone could verify on the test build?

If you play a video, hit backspace to go back to the file list and select a new video while the other is still playing in the background, it won't start. Instead, the previous video is replaced with the menu background (I think). After hitting "x", video playback will work again for any video selected.

I have fixed this in my EGL branch.
not seeing any crashes here on video stoppage, but am seeing an issue with SD interlaced content.

For 576i50 material, with deinterlacing set to 'auto' and lanczos3 scaling, video output is 30fps (dropping tons of frames; setting back to 'off' afterwards does not change). Setting to 'on' outputs properly at 50p. 720pi50 and 1080i50 material deinterlaced properly
Will rebase and make New images tomorrow ... Currently travelling.
  • 123(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416