• 7(current)
A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements
(2016-05-23, 12:19)wrxtasy Wrote: No AMLogic can Hardware decode H264 Hi10P.
AML can software decode some 720/1080p Hi10P but there are still to many problems when tested with more than a single video sample. Its not reliable at all.

You really do need proper Intel Hardware.

what is the intel minimum for 1080p Hi10P ?
braswell N3150 = enough ?
Like they said in the Aliens movie....
Quote:“Nuke the entire site from orbit--it’s the only way to be sure”
I would just get a top of the line Intel i7 NUC, you know -- just to be sure... Wink

I'm a former MB user for several years, also been using PowerDVD for the last 3 yrs. We are getting ready to change our 30,000 fie NAS back to a media player platform so the HEVC discussion is of importance.

Power DVD 16 allows us to play 10bit HEVC MKV videos with no hardware changes to our PC. Previously to this upgrade, PDVD 14 & 15 would allow HEVC playback as long as it was not 10bit. Our current laptop is a Dell XPS from 2012 that runs PDVD 16. It has a Intel Dual Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz (Sandy Bridge). This laptop is a dual GPU system, uses Intel HD and Nvidia GT540M.
(2016-05-23, 16:46)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-05-23, 14:10)noggin Wrote: H264 Hi10 4:2:0 is a dead-end codec. It's never got hardware acceleration support (a Rockchip SoC was rumoured to have hardware support - but Rockchip Linux support is lousy), and so the only real solution is CPU decode - which really means a decent x86 platform at the moment.

Hopefully the perceived benefit of H264 Hi10 (reducing banding on Anime re-encodes AIUI?) will transfer to H265 10 bit so that is used instead - which DOES have hardware SoC support (AML S905 does it for instance) in the future. We could then finally stop having to answer the same questions. Again. And Again. And Again.

Where I'm at a loss is as to how this hasn't happened yet. Some in the anime scene want the leanest and meanest compression, which is why it's really the only scene you see Hi10 in use. With HEVC/x265 available readily, why have a good number no jumped to that ship already?
If you follow the doom9 discussions about x265, it's clear that the codec is simply still not on par with H264 encodes. Where H264 and older get blocky, H265 gets fuzzy with low bitrates. This is the worst case for anime encoding because you see it more prominent there. If you have high enough bitrates, the file sizes are only slightly smaller than H264, at the price of 5x - 10x slower encode.

So why should anyone switch at the moment? I say Hi10p will stay for quite a while longer.
I wouldn't exactly trust people, who thought Hi10P was a good idea as a release format, on the topic of what is practical for video encoding.
Having to buy relatively expensive Hardware just to Software decode decent bitrate 1080p H264 Hi10P, because some "Group" thought it was a good idea at the time shows that this custom codec really was not meant for widespread distribution.

No Hardware decoder on any hardware platform supports Hi10P and that says it all really.

(2016-10-25, 05:17)wrxtasy Wrote: Having to buy relatively expensive Hardware just to Software decode decent bitrate 1080p H264 Hi10P, because some "Group" thought it was a good idea at the time shows that this custom codec really was not meant for widespread distribution.

No Hardware decoder on any hardware platform supports Hi10P and that says it all really.
High 10 Profile is not some custom codec developed by a "group". It is part of the H.264 recommendation from ITU-T. It is just that while the anime world embraced it, the rest of the world shunned it.
(2016-10-25, 06:23)wesk05 Wrote: High 10 Profile is not some custom codec developed by a "group". It is part of the H.264 recommendation from ITU-T. It is just that while the anime world embraced it, the rest of the world shunned it.

First of all, Hi10 does see usage outside of the 'Anime World', though it's almost exclusively in the realm of prosumer and professional level video recorders for various kinds of film production. Film production routinely see's hardware capable of capturing images beyond 8 bits per channel that we typically see in consumer products. This is where a compressed 10bit storage format gets usage. This is of course specialized hardware and no where else do you see 10bit. It was never seen in any disc media or any streaming media, which is the exact media that low cost hardware decoding chips are designed for. They are built to decode consumer video on consumer products. Adding features beyond what is needed, for a super niche area of content, makes no financial sense and this is why you see no hardware companies bothering to embrace it. 10bit is not 'shunned by the rest of the world', it just doesn't make any financial sense to build hardware for a narrow region of a format that only see's usage in some pro hardware and on pirated anime.

More over, if those in the anime scene who used 10bit cared fuck one about how accessible to playback hardware their files were, they wouldn't be encoding them in 10bit. It is a willful choice to use a video format that has minimal hardware support and mostly relies on 'Big Iron' Desktop PCs or a few of the ARM type devices that are coming along which are powerful enough to do it in software. If you go and complain to a 10bit anime encoder about their usage of 10bit, they will simply say 'LOL, use a real computer noob' or something like that. Meanwhile, anime pirates don't care if you can playback their files on a little Android device or something, but you except chip designers to solve the problem for you if they hadn't 'shunned it'? That's just a fantasy.
(2016-10-25, 06:58)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2016-10-25, 06:23)wesk05 Wrote: High 10 Profile is not some custom codec developed by a "group". It is part of the H.264 recommendation from ITU-T. It is just that while the anime world embraced it, the rest of the world shunned it.

First of all, Hi10 does see usage outside of the 'Anime World', though it's almost exclusively in the realm of prosumer and professional level video recorders for various kinds of film production. Film production routinely see's hardware capable of capturing images beyond 8 bits per channel that we typically see in consumer products. This is where a compressed 10bit storage format gets usage. This is of course specialized hardware and no where else do you see 10bit. It was never seen in any disc media or any streaming media, which is the exact media that low cost hardware decoding chips are designed for. They are built to decode consumer video on consumer products. Adding features beyond what is needed, for a super niche area of content, makes no financial sense and this is why you see no hardware companies bothering to embrace it. 10bit is not 'shunned by the rest of the world', it just doesn't make any financial sense to build hardware for a narrow region of a format that only see's usage in some pro hardware and on pirated anime.
If you are going to equate all 10-bit to High 10 profile, then I really don't know what to tell you. I have never heard of Hi10P used for broadcast or professional video. To the best of my knowledge, Hi422P, Hi444P, Hi10Intra50/100 are the ones used in broadcast/professional video applications. I know you work in post production, so I'm all ears...
(2016-10-25, 07:53)wesk05 Wrote:
(2016-10-25, 06:58)DJ_Izumi Wrote:

If you are going to equate all 10-bit to High 10 profile, then I really don't know what to tell you. I have never heard of Hi10P used for broadcast or professional video. To the best of my knowledge, Hi422P, Hi444P, Hi10Intra50/100 are the ones used in broadcast/professional video applications. I know you work in post production, so I'm all ears...

Yep - 4:2:0 10bit H264 Long GOP ? If you are using 10bit why not use 4:2:2? I see quite a lot of H264 4:2:2 LongGOP use (it's a standard codec for satellite and fibre contributions for broadcast TV) but 8bit is still the norm.

Code:
ID : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID : 1 (0x1)
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High 4:2:2@L4
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Codec ID : 27
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 32.7 Mbps
Maximum bit rate : 36.9 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Interlaced
Scan type, store method : Separated fields
Scan order : Top Field First
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.709
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709

Hardware acceleration of 4:2:2 H264 is also not standard on consumer gear...
(2016-10-25, 07:53)wesk05 Wrote: If you are going to equate all 10-bit to High 10 profile, then I really don't know what to tell you. I have never heard of Hi10P used for broadcast or professional video. To the best of my knowledge, Hi422P, Hi444P, Hi10Intra50/100 are the ones used in broadcast/professional video applications. I know you work in post production, so I'm all ears...

I've never seen it used in broadcast either, only in some pro-sumer and professional capture hardware or cameras but not a tremendous amount either. If you want to try and argue that it's not much used in broadcast/production you aren't going to get that argument because I won't counter it. It's just the ONLY other place I've seen it at ALL but I also haven't seen it extensively. And I also work in post production, on AAA films that I can't even mention until they are released, but thanks for bringing your credentials into this. Smile
(2016-10-25, 06:58)DJ_Izumi Wrote: It is a willful choice to use a video format that has minimal hardware support and mostly relies on 'Big Iron' Desktop PCs
and because most anime fans play pc games anyway, they don't care
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
A serious examination of 1080p hi10p hardware requirements0