My second XBMC box
I previously build an A6-3500 box in a full ATX case with an A75-UD3 board from Gigabyte, it was later upgraded to an A8-3870K since the CPU was EOLed and it was cheap on Boxing day. That machine is running Windows 7 and is an all in one, XBMC/Steam/SABNZB/CouchPotato/SickBeard/Transmission machine with 10TB of storage in it. My roommate loved it and she's having me build her an OpenELEC machine.

CPU: A6-5600K ($61.99)
MOBO: MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 ($59.94)
RAM: Corsair CMV4GX3M1A1333C9 4GB ($23.99)
WIFI: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450MBPS Dual-Band Wireless N PCI-E Adapter ($29.99)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 500W Power Supply ($39.99)
Case: Nmedia HTPC-6000B ($74.99)
Remote: Mediagate GP-IR01BK ($27.99) (This is getting to be a tricky remote to find even though I'm a fan of it, any idea why?)

She wants it to later hold HDDs with media, I'd have gone with an ATX case but she wanted something more suitable to being next to the TV, so she picked out the HTPC-6000B from Nmedia. It's sorta big but it'll look the part and will hold up to 7 HDDs. For OS storage I'll be using a recycled 2.5 20GB HDD that was removed from an Xbox 360 once upon a time.

While this isn't as super silent or as tiny as a lot of boxes, my desire was more to have it be flexible and have longevity. Hopefully the A6-5600K will be enough to decode h.265/HEVC and/or VP9 when they become common. I wanted to avoid the trap people have landed in with their little APU boxes like E-350s. I don't mean to insult those awesome little boxes, but their uses are going to be going 'GOD DAMNIT. D:' in 12-24 months when newer stuff becomes popular. Anime fans have already seen this with h.264 10bit. I'm not certain if the A6-5600K will be enough to have this box last 4-7 years, when 4K material becomes more popular it might need some upgrades but it shouldn't need more than a replacement FM2 CPU or some sort of hardware accelerator going into one of the PCI-E slots. It should be a lot nicer than having to toss a while box out the window and start from scratch in a few years. She's a Linux fan so this'll be my first time building an OpenELEC box when I prefer Windows 7.

Everything has shipped and it should arrive Tuesday, I'll post some pics and comments when that happens.
A girl linux fan? What is the world coming to?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Check out the Silverstone Tek GD08B HTPC Case, and the Silverstone Tek GD07B HTPC Case. They can hold a lot of HDDs and look every bit the HTPC part.
(2013-05-28, 08:36)nickr Wrote: A girl linux fan? What is the world coming to?

Maybe one day it'll come to a point where sexist things like men expressing shot that a woman knows how to use a computer won't happen anymore. Smile

Obligatory Pile Of Boxes Photo:

Not exactly the most space efficient case, but it has no shortage of expansion room to keep it up to date:

It looked a lot smaller in the photo on NCIX. Well, it fits...

It's alive! It's alive! ~Weird Science~

I am having an issue however. It's failing to make use of the GPU to decode any video. The CPU has enough power to do it but it's not the most efficient route. I'm using the latest 12.2 build of XBMCBuntu, any ideas?
(2013-05-28, 23:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I am having an issue however. It's failing to make use of the GPU to decode any video. The CPU has enough power to do it but it's not the most efficient route. I'm using the latest 12.2 build of XBMCBuntu, any ideas?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
(2013-05-28, 23:55)Dark_Slayer Wrote: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Would OpenELEC have this issue or was all that already built in?
(2013-05-28, 23:36)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2013-05-28, 08:36)nickr Wrote: A girl linux fan? What is the world coming to?

Maybe one day it'll come to a point where sexist things like men expressing shot that a woman knows how to use a computer won't happen anymore. Smile
I apologise if I offended anyone. I didn't intend to, but on reflection I can see how I might have. Sorry.
Quote:I am having an issue however. It's failing to make use of the GPU to decode any video. The CPU has enough power to do it but it's not the most efficient route. I'm using the latest 12.2 build of XBMCBuntu, any ideas?
You probably want the XVBA/Wsnipex branch.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-05-29, 00:14)DJ_Izumi Wrote:
(2013-05-28, 23:55)Dark_Slayer Wrote: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Would OpenELEC have this issue or was all that already built in?

The generic and generic OSS builds use open source drivers as far as I know

The fusion build should have it built in
The Generic OSS build contains open source drivers while the Generic build contains proprietary drivers.
Found the solution by blindly following guides to update fglrx, causing buggy xvba and then somehow install 13.0 Alpha 3 resulting in stable xvba. But this 13.0 Alpha 3 also allows multithreaded h.264 10bit decoding where 12.2 doesn't, so that's a bonus.
She's wearing a ghostbusters shirt, too!

NEVER LET HER GO
(2013-05-30, 02:17)Ned Scott Wrote: She's wearing a ghostbusters shirt, too!

NEVER LET HER GO

That's me... o.O
Girls on internets?!?!
and presumably a DJ too. All the best people are DJs/HTPCers Smile (though my DJing days ends promptly once the kids arrived)
(2013-05-30, 04:14)Dougie Fresh Wrote: and presumably a DJ too. All the best people are DJs/HTPCers Smile (though my DJing days ends promptly once the kids arrived)

Nah, that's just a throw back to a stupid internet name I made when I was in high school.

I do make films though. Smile

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/h...5419_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/h...8582_n.jpg

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My second XBMC box0