Migrating from Windows to Linux?
Topic: Migrating from Windows to Linux
Setup: Shared MySQL Library
Concerns: Losing My Hard Work!

So I have looked around some and haven't really found a solution to my question. I am currently running XBMC 11 Eden on my HTPC Windows 7 Machine. It has a 4x JBOD external eSATA hard drive caddy with 4 drives full of my shows and movies. The movies are on one drive, while the tv shows are spread across 3 drives. Over 1400 Movies, and 134 TV Shows! I have the system running a SQL database for 3 users, myself, my roommate and a guest account. So far everything has worked great. My room mates computer can have his watch status etc, and I can have mine, while the neighbors use the guest account.

So the dilemma....it has been running great for 2 years. But I am doing more then just media server with this hardware. I have been pushing the hardware beyond its limits and now face the problem of upgrading the hardware, etc.

So the question is....is linux gonna be a pain the a$$ to setup? I can't backup my files single, because it gives me some crap about unable to write. Now I haven't tried to do a single file backup, but that is another question for later.

Question 1 – Should I stick with Windows or go Linux?
Know: I know Ubuntu pretty well, and have been playing with Linux Mint – I like it!
Usage: Will be running:
a. XBMC Client (Duh to watch on my 55” TV)
b. SQL Database (For clients: My PC, Roommates, Neighbors) ***
c. Minecraft Server (yes I'm addicted)
d. Plex Media Server (for the occasionally away from house viewing)
e. Ventrillo Server
f. Other various tasks (no gaming)

Question 2 – Should I stick with 11 or upgrade to 12?
a. Tried before, and got bad results, took my computer forever and never let it finish.
b. Like said before, scared of upgrading database!
c. And notice on question 1 – SQL Database or go with native sharing with 12?

Question 3 – How the heck do I migrate database or even get XBMC to see library?
a. Asking this because if I move to Linux from Windows, I know directory structure is different.
b. Will this be a pain to migrate data over? I don't want to rescan everything in!

I do apologize for the long post, but wanted to get most of this out of the way. Even if I only get one question answered, I would appreciate what I can get. Mostly I am worried about migrating to Linux!
funny... I use MyQL... and I use Linux only on some of my secondary boxes (3 @ Pivos Xios DS's).

I like the flexibility that Win7 provides on my main XBMC system.

Of course, I do not have my main XBMC system also function as my Media Server... I have a different Win 7 box for that in the home office.

12.2 is fine. The DB migration will happen smoothly in MySQL. (if you want a better view into that, use HeidiSQL to really "see" what is going in within My SQL.)

And... 12.2 will have all the DB's the same across windows, Linux and even Apple products. Video 75 and Music 32.

13 Alpha looks really good, but I went back down to 12.2, as the music DB bumped up to 33, and the rest of my media network was only on music 32... so that was a bridge too far for me.

I think what may be going on for you, is that your XBMC may need to split out its media server function, and leave the media client in the living room.

Your network want to grow!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Migrating from Windows to Linux?0