HTPC Antenna Shield and PC Case Common
Hi all,

I am in the process of putting together a HTPC system for a friend. I have found some great USB TV tuners online that work really well with Linux and Myth (backend).

I have been racking my brain as to the best way in which to place 4+ Tuners into my case. The tuners are small- and I would rather have everything in one box rather than have hubs sticking out the back & splitters connected etc...

If I were to place everything 'inside' the HTPC case, can anyone give me some idea if the Antenna Connector can be bolted to the case itself? (Thus grounding the shield?)

I have looked online at images of PCI cards and it looks like they try very hard to stop the outside case touching the Antenna Connection. They normally have a super large hole to avoid it touching.

Obviously I don't want to try either way just incase something goes bad. However I also can't find any Panel Mount F-Plugs which are insulated...

If there is anyone that has been in this same boat let me know.

Cheers,
Alex
It will be fine. Think about it this way... their rf (coax) input is touching their card bracket (metal) which is touching the case (metal) so they do have a common ground.
The RF shield is suppose to be grounded to sink the interference that the shield collects. It should be fine but be aware that the more connections you place in an RF cable, the more "holes" it creates for signal interference and loss. Connections inside the case could lend the cables to pickup the large amount of noise from the PC itself.
Have you thought about pci or pcie cards?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Antenna Shield and PC Case Common0