Req Multi-System Synced Audio Play
Think we need to wait for Ethernet-AVB before sync audio/video streaming via lan is viable.

There's a good article in a current German magazine on the subject ( http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt/2013/13/176/ )
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
(2013-06-04, 18:03)DonJ Wrote: Think we need to wait for Ethernet-AVB before sync audio/video streaming via lan is viable.

There's a good article in a current German magazine on the subject ( http://www.heise.de/ct/inhalt/2013/13/176/ )

Sorry, missed this response.

I think that will help quite a bit yeah.

What I stumbled across being the most problematic was a) Wifi, lots of latency, especially when syncing between two devices which both are on wifi b) When audio clock isn't exact. Android for example was problematic here for me, unless I did do a programming error it seemed that on my galaxy nexus, the clock just wasn't correct always Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
how the heck does sonos do it? more novice curiosity
This is the Secret they make money with...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I would like to weigh in on this a little bit as I think it is a great idea, since there are times I would like to fill my whole house with music as I'm constantly going from one section of the house to another as I'm cleaning. It'll be cool that if I started playing a song on one machine I could go to the sidebar and bring up a "Distribute Music" window and select (via check boxes) all my Kodi instances I want the song to start playing on.

With that said I did a quick search and found the following articles about synchornized network based audio playback, hopefully this gets the brain juices flowing more:
- An old Kodi addon
- A microsoft employee experiment
- A Stack Overflow discussion
+74529 on that one!

I'd love this. Synced playback would be an amazing addition to a Kodi-a-fyed house/shed/man-cave!

I'm literally in the middle of cleaning the house and was just about to turn off the music in the sunroom and start it up in the lounge room but thought I'd quickly Google it see if anyone had worked it out yet for Kodi.
Hmm, yes it is no simple solution, but the ms employee experiment linked by @Talguy describes a good solution approach.
1. Determine which system is master
2. Slaves sync time to master using sntp
3. Music is selected on master and slaves are notified of the music file, slaves start loading the file
4. master starts playback and notifies slaves of exact time the music started playing
5. slaves start playing by seeking ahead into the song current time + measured startup delay - master start time (startup delay is measured by each player as to adapt to different machine speeds, this is the time from calling play this until music plays).
6. Master sends regular (1 second? Needs testing) updates to slaves with current position
7. Slaves determine difference between current position and master position and speed up or slow down playback if the difference is small, skip if the difference is large (reduces audible artifacts).

Probably needs additional checks against fluctuating up/down and checks to determine message lag from master to slave.

Can the kodi player specify playback speeds in small enough steps?

Would like to work on this, but not enough time and haven't worked on kodi base at all yet.
I wonder if the new audio DSP with it's hooks could make this a possibility someday. At least to stream an encoded audio stream of the output on one machine to another.
I'm subscribing to this old thread in hopes of ongoing progress or if someone shares the solution from somewhere else

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Multi-System Synced Audio Play0