Win Heads-up on SMB File Sharing Problem in Windows 7
Just wanted to post a quick note in case it's helpful to others. I had been chasing down an issue where XBMC suddenly couldn't access my SMB network shares and therefore my whole video/music/everything library wouldn't work. It was an odd issue where it would work one day and then the next it would just stop responding. If I rebooted the host machine then things would begin working normally again.

Turns out this is a Windows SMB issue (with a hotfix available which I haven't tried yet) that I was bumping into because I was ripping DVD's across my network. This rapid I/O operation on a network share causes the SMB file sharing to stop responding which will kill my XBMC clients as I have them all pointing to the host machine using an SMB file share location. Rebooting the machine works fine but I will install the hotfix and retest.

Just FYI... this was also killing my Sonos system as well.

So if you are having an issue similar to this and you doing something that would cause a large amount of I/O activity on a network share (such as ripping a DVD across your network instead of storing it on the local machine doing the ripping) then THIS is your issue.

Here's the documentation from Microsoft.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2582112
Thank for the heads up!
Thanks a bunch ! moving to Windows subforum as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Heads-up on SMB File Sharing Problem in Windows 70