Permission Denied
I hope someone can help me with this issue as I've been struggling with this for days now. I'm getting permission denied on my Raspberry Pi ever since I upgraded to Windows 8. Debug log can be found here: http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=23907

I have my Windows 8 computer with mySQL installed and have shared my Movies & TV shows via SMB. Ever since Windows 8, i can no longer get my Pi to view my media. It does load everything from the SQL connection, but there is no thumbnail art and when selecting the "ghost" files it says The file is no longer available.

I've changed all my permissions on the media drive (internal drive dedicated to media) to allow Everyone read/write access, added this access to the share, inherited all permissions from the root level. I'm confused as to what is getting 'permission denied'. Is it my Windows 8 account? The SQL ID? The Pi ID?

Any help would be appreciated. I've also tried adding the IP to the sources.xml on my local computer and copied over to the Pi instead of the hostname, as well as adding an ID/password

Code:
<path pathversion="1">smb://xbmc:[email protected]/TV Shows/</path>

I've tried using the ID, xbmc, Pi, Root, and my local Windows 8 password to no avail. I've also created everyone of these ID's in computer management and gave full access to the drive and added them all to the administrators group (which also has full access to the drive). I seem to be going in circles with deleting the database, exporting and importing, single file, separate file and even reinstalled Raspbmc on the pi to start from scratch. Any information would be great as I've started from scratch so many times I don't even know where to start anymore.
I don't know about your SMB problem, but your media library is full of Windows local drive references which obviously aren't going to work on a Pi:
Code:
16:34:42 T:2921575488   DEBUG: GetImageHash - unable to stat url smb://HALO/Movies/21.and.Over.2013.R5.LiNE.Xvid.MP3-MiLLENiUM/21.and.Over.2013.R5.LiNE.Xvid.MP3-MiLLENiUM-fanart.jpg
16:34:42 T:2829300800   DEBUG: GetImageHash - unable to stat url D:\Backups\xbmc_videodb_2013-06-01\movies\30_Minutes_or_Less_2011-poster.jpg
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I agree, I imported the database from a backup and for some reason it references the location and I have no idea how to correct it Undecided
Do you need to preserve any data? If not I'd just dump the old library and re-scrape it from scratch, using only SMB (or preferably NFS) paths.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
I'll give it a try. I really only imported the database to preserve the watched vs unwatched flag but I'm willing to try anything.
So I tried a fresh database scrape and really, it just pushed the 'unable to start url' to the smb share, which actually makes sense.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=24070

I just can't figure out where the permissions need to be applied. The physical drive looks ok as i've given permissions to everyone. SQL looks ok as the user xbmc has grant all on *.* and it seems the pi is actually connecting to the database as it loads the IMDB plot and lists the shows, just no thumbnails or the actual movies/tv shows
The permission error is on the physical drive.
Where is the directory you are sharing? You said you set the permissions on the root of the drive. If I recall correctly, you cannot set the sharing at the root level. Say you have D:Movies. This is what you want to share. You first have to enable sharing and then on the securities tab enable read/write for the everyone group. The same would need to be repeated for D:TV Shows, etc.
I'm sharing M:\Movies & M:\TV Shows, I've recently changed the permission to be inherited from M:\ just in case they weren't being pushed down. Please see the images below:

Permissions on M:\ but not shared
http://i.imgur.com/T9WxIdc.png

Permission (all that I can possibly think of) applied to the actual share M:\Movies. These are the same on M:\TV Shows
http://i.imgur.com/1TxVBd7.png

When I try to access \\HALO\Movies or \\HALO\TV Shows I can play the files on another computer, but when using the Pi I get the error for videos
Code:
unix_err:'d' error : 'Permission denied'

Thumbnail Art gives this error
Code:
GetImageHash - unable to stat url smb://HALO/TV Shows/SomeTVShow/poster.jpg

I'm at a loss as the Pi is completely useless to me now. Damn you Windows 8!!
I got it!

After reading my last post I decided to reboot both computers to check the shares again (as I've made so many changes). Turns out it prompted for a password; I guess the computer upstairs was caching the id/password. The actual resolution was to 'Turn off password protected sharing' from Control Panel - Network and Internet - Network and Sharing Center - Advanced sharing settings

After that everything worked like a charm. I hope someone can find this information useful!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Permission Denied0