Linux XMBCbuntu LONG delays on starting Internet Streaming
Was running XMBC 10 for AGGGGEESSS without much issue

Am now running Frodo 12.2 on the same box (a Zotac ID41)

For the most part - using the LAN, it seems to work flawlessly, but when it comes to pulling information from the internet, it seems to have issues.

I can playback data from the file server's SMB share flawlessly, but when I got to play a trailer, or a youtube clip, or stream an internet radio station it WILL do it, after a delay anywhere from 30 seconds to 6 minutes before it plays the stream.

I thought it might be the youtube add-on, but it does it with the radio add-on as well. Then I noticed the weather add-on is also taking a LONG LONG time to update when I first load or click refresh, likewise getting the list of available trailers to view with TrailerAddict takes forever too, as does Funny or Die and College Humor

So it seems like, local LAN it's working a treat, but accessing anything from the internet takes AGES

/etc/network/interfaces
Code:
root@zotac:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.100
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.254
dns-nameservers 203.12.160.35 203.12.160.36

Thought it might be my routing tables, but aside from not having any routing for the Local Loopback interface, it seems ok.

Code:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.254   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     1      0        0 eth0

resolv.conf
Code:
root@zotac:~# cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 203.12.160.35
nameserver 203.12.160.36
nameserver 127.0.1.1

Process List

The frustrating thing is that when logged into the shell, the internet is working well enough I can apt-get and install vim to work with instead of nano without any issue.
Likewise, installing new add-ons appears to have no noticeable delay

xbmc.log file from when I told it to play a YouTube Clip via my Android phone:

It took it 20 minutes to play the YouTube clip from when I gave the instruction to it actually playing.
It TRIED to start straight away - I got the Loading Stream message immediately, it just then sat there for 20 minutes before it kicked in.

This is standard for any sort of stream at the moment.

If I go to open an internet radio stream, - same thing happens....

I'm happy to consider that I've done something stupid - just don't know WHAT?

Any thoughts?

** Edited to put the logs somewhere people could see them...
First of all, welcome on the forums!

Please upload every large log to pastebin or xbmclogs.com and do not spam the forum with them as per forum rules (wiki).
When you upload a log, make sure it is a debug log and do not cut out parts. See this wiki page: upload a debug log (wiki)

I have removed the large pastes from your post.

In regards to your issue, I would do some speedtests with downloading a file from the internet from the command line.
Code:
wget http://speedtest.tele2.net/100MB.zip
(2013-06-02, 09:30)Kibje Wrote: ....

In regards to your issue, I would do some speedtests with downloading a file from the internet from the command line.

Code:
wget http://speedtest.tele2.net/100MB.zip

Connection speed should not be an issue.
I'm running an ADSL2 connection with downloads, youtube streams, Vimeo, etc... all working on every other system on the network, including my mobile phone via WiFi.

My Windows PC says:
Quote:Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 03/06/2013 @ 04:19 PM

Mirror: TPG
Data: 17 MB
Test Time: 10.01 secs

Your line speed is 14.61 Mbps (14605 kbps).
Your download speed is 1.78 MB/s (1826 KB/s).

The wget on the xbmc box returned the following result:
Quote:104,857,600 1.04M/s in 2m 55s

Any clues??
Could be a fragmentation issue. try to reduce your MTU of the network device, e.g. ifconfig eth0 mtu 1452
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Doesn't appear to be a fragmentation issue. Not seeing any network errors which would indicate that and changing the MTU didn't seem to alter performance a great deal at all.

None of the other networked systems are having any issues. This system isn't having any issues streaming files from the LAN, just internet feeds, which come in a darn site SLOWER given they're not local...

This system never had any issues with streaming internet feeds (youtube/radio/etc...) under XBMC v.10..... Only since moving to 12.+

I'm still open for any ideas....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XMBCbuntu LONG delays on starting Internet Streaming0