XBMC on pi. Getting service to start on boot??
I use XBMC on my Pi to play media to my telly but I also use it as a uPnp server. I find it a bit unreliable to play on other nodes in my home network, so via SSH I installed and configured minidlna. Works a treat. However I have to start it manually by typing sudo service minidlna start.

I have tried the following 2 command and it still doesn't work on start up.

sudo update-rc.d minidlna default. Returns: using dependency based booting sequency. and doesn't work

insserv minidlna

Both of these don't work.

Also, if I put a script in /etc/crontab.daily. It wont run. So basically I cant schedule anything.
(2013-06-02, 17:58)saintben1234 Wrote: sudo update-rc.d minidlna default. Returns: using dependency based booting sequency
This, I think, is because the system uses upstart, and not the old-fashioned rc.* system.
I'm afraid I cannot instantly give you the correct method.

Quote:insserv minidlna
Sorry - don't know about this one

Quote:Also, if I put a script in /etc/crontab.daily. It wont run. So basically I cant schedule anything.
Have you checked (a) that the system settings are set for running crontab server
(b) that permissions and paths (for executables) will be correct in the crontab environment?
Derek
just googled it and no clear instructions on how to start a program using upstart. All I want is service minidlna start running on start up. That's it

Cheers
What distro?
I googled for 'linux upstart example', and found lots of things -
amongst them was this collection of bits which might be enough for you.
If not, why not duplicate my search and see if you can find something more appropriate
Derek
Not all "linux" is the same. There are three major distributions for XBMC on the Pi, and you need to tell us which one you are using: OpenELEC, RaspBMC, or XBian?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC on pi. Getting service to start on boot??0