Apple TV 1 with audio out of HDMI and Analog?
Hello all, Im new to XBMC and apple tv 1.
I have just bought a apple tv gen 1 160gb and a broadcom xxxx15 card via ebayand should hopefully recieve them soon.
I want to run xbmc but I have 1 requirement, I need to be able to output audio from the analog and HDMI at the same time. as I have analog zone 2 input on my reciever. Just being able to play 720p will be suffice as well.

I have done a lot of reading all over the net, but it is still clear as mud to me. All, I have gathered is FRODO can't do it, and there seems to be a lot of mucking around to get it working with eden on linux.

would I be best running;

1/ atv1 w/crystal with jailbroken Apple OS/XMBC eden.
2/ atv1 w/crystal with OpenELEC 2.0(eden)
3/ atv1 w/crystal with Crystalbuntu??

I would rather not stuff around too much with trial and error as I don't have a lot of time with a young family needing attention, but if there is a sure fire way to get it to work with eden on Openelec 2.0 easily I would be happy, as I would get the benefit of a faster UI.

thanks for your help
Both OpenELEC 3.0 and Crystalbuntu 2.0 are easy as pie to get up and running, and work with XBMC v12 Frodo. I'm using an ATV1 with Crystalbuntu 2 and Frodo right now. Both are good, but to be honest, Crystalbuntu is a little faster with the interface. OpenELEC probably makes it easier to set up some stuff if you want to add torrents or a Live TV PVR server.

Both should be able to output over HDMI and analog, but I believe that doing this will limit HDMI to stereo, but I'm not entirely sure (it's been a while since I've tried, and both OE and CB have updated systems since then). I used to do this so that I wouldn't have to change settings when I switched the ATV1 to different TVs.

It took it a little bit, but Frodo now runs like a Champ on the ATV1.

I've got a lot of toys now that run XBMC, but my ATV1 still remains my most used machine.
Thanks for your reply Ned, it would be great to beable to use the Linux os, do you remember which version you were using when you were able to output from both? I will only be using stereo for both as this is only our loungeroom system. Do you remember out you had as the output settings? Etc analog 2.0 or hdmi 2.0.
From my reading there was all this talk about modifying a file/ patching, but that may have been to get 5.1. I don't have much linux knowledge.
According to this thread http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=8251

Crystalbuntu 2.0 can be configured to output stereo audio on all ports, including analog. I believe the script mentioned is fairly easy to run and just needs to be placed in a file that is loaded on the ATV1. If you ask in that thread for step-by-step instructions, I'm sure they'll help you out with it. If not, give me a buzz when your ATV1 comes in and I'll see if I can figure it out. (via PM or just replying to this thread, as I am getting notifications of new posts to it).
Cool looks promising, although from a bit of research it seems the new CB2 has issues with airplay, which is another must, should I just install CB1 or try OE2/3? My atv came today, I might try CB1 first if it possible.
AirPlay works fine for me on CB2. *shrug*
Ok, I'll give cb2 a go
gave it a go, installed from USB, airplay didn't work, didn't get around to trying dual outputs.
turned off then removed usb then turned back on to get back to osx, but it came up with a recovery screen, thought to myself that i should restore. Bad idea, I've now got a weird loop when my ethernet is connected. so I am now having trouble upgrading from 1.0 to 3.0.2.
when/if I can get back to 3.0.2 I will give openelec 2.0 a go as Ive read that all outputs are enabled by default.
got out of the loop, and updated, tried to install openelec and the atv wouldnt boot from the usb Sad, this is harder than I thought, Making a atv patchstick to try jailbreak now with xbmc for osx.
patchstick worked well, but only 35mb left in ram with xbmc installed, would like to revisit the openelec install or is it somehow possible to to install the original Crystalbuntu 1?
I tried installing openelec from 2 different usbs but wouldnt boot from the usb (the same usb that successfully instaled CB2 and the jailbreak)

any Ideas?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 1 with audio out of HDMI and Analog?0