Req Fill black bars to match screen aspect ratio
overstretching is IMO the visually best approach (center keeps aspect while edges are stretched) and we already support this. The proposed feature in here gives me serious headache - might be good tool to brainwash somebody though Smile
(2013-06-21, 14:42)davilla Wrote: In my option, this is utter garbage. If black/gray bars upset you so much, a) stop watching 4:3 content on 16:9 hdtvs or b) get a 4:3 TV.

you do mean "In your opinion" right?
fixed, happy now ?
(2013-06-21, 14:42)davilla Wrote: In my opinion, this is utter garbage. If black/gray bars upset you so much, a) stop watching 4:3 content on 16:9 hdtvs or b) get a 4:3 TV.
(2013-06-21, 15:21)da-anda Wrote: overstretching is IMO the visually best approach (center keeps aspect while edges are stretched) and we already support this. The proposed feature in here gives me serious headache - might be good tool to brainwash somebody though Smile
+100
(2013-06-20, 11:18)tria Wrote: This is no less distorted than a full stretch, in fact it is way worse. It is hard to focus on, and might cause seizures. Please no!

Maybe take the 5-10% of both sides stretch them both ways 50% of the way out, and fade them to black as you go toward the edge of screen. There will be distortion but it will be minor, and the fade to black will make it less distracting than clear cut black. Better, average the 5-10% color values for each side, and fade to that color as you go to the edge of screen. Maybe also stretch area in middle a little bit so that the stretched sides become less stretched. It might waste several cpu/gpu cycles, and I wouldn't use this even if implemented. I don't mind full-stretch, but just stating a better alternative than what OP suggested.

The stretched image inside the black bars is a copy of the image (those 5-10%). In the end you will see the full not distorted image plus the filled black bars with colors similar to the image edges.
Nothing is better than 4:3 stretched to 16:9. I prefer even the black screen before this stretched thing.

Some flash players use this way to fill their black bars for 4:3 videos. Other solution is where the black bars are filled with a calculated colors to match the edges, not with the distorted part of the picture like I make in the examples.
I ran across this thread looking for a similar solution for displaying iphone Vertical Videos. You know when you video something in portrait mode?

I've seen news programs that have a neat effect when showing such videos; they display the left part of the video blurred and zoomed in the left black bar, and the right half of the video blurred and zoomed in the right black bar. It gives the illusion of watching a "clip" with just some special effect on it, rather than annoying black bars or some bad work-around to the problem.

Anyone know what that technique is called? I've seen it many times on many different TV shows in the last year or so and it seems to be the perfect way to mask bad vertical-videos that are short and whose purpose is just as a reference clip or something. I think this OP's technique could also be used for the purposes of short clips.
This may be better described by overlaying the undistorted 4:3 image over a stretched and blurred 16:9 image of the same. This is described here: http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/32207...-9-project

You can also process your 4:3 videos using the method in the link if you want.

This is a reasonable option for 4:3 playback, rather than suggesting people have separate TVs or just put up with the black bars... sheesh.
Still looks like crap to me Smile But if others like watching crap, so be it.

Blending, stretching and other alterations of video only serve to distort. Personally, I have zero interest in supporting such abominations.
@davilla just logged back in here to say **CUT**

MOD EDIT: cut. See below.
Nope. You don't get to insult him. Maybe he's being rude or whatever, but don't personally attack people over something like this. If he called you "crap" or an "abomination" then maybe it would be different, but he's describing the video being that way when it is distorted. So, don't make it personal.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fill black bars to match screen aspect ratio1