TV Calibration Settings
i haven't seen anything like this posted yet so i thought i would throw it out there. i recently jumped into the world of high def front projection and purchased the avia home theatre disc (yes i know there are others that are better). for those that don't know the avia disc contains lots and lots of useful test patterns and some basic instructions on how to use each one and what they are testing for. i was simply amazed at how much better everything looked and how much more pleasant my picture quality was after running through these test patterns and making the necessary adjustments to my setup.

i would have never thought that my settings were off by so much that the clarity would be a considerable improvement so i started thinking about how useful this would be to have built into a media center to optimize your viewing. i would imagine the test patterns could be added under look & feel with a spin control to select the test pattern and a button to retrieve the usage instructions for the selected pattern then another button to display the pattern. perhaps this would even be worthy of it's own video test pattern tab with spin controls seperated by sub categories for different tests to simplify things a bit such as sub categories for white level adjustments, sharpness adjustments, resolution tests, tint/hue tests, saturation tests, etc.

just an idea, let me know what you guys think, i personally would love to see this implemented as it would be very helpful to many people to improve more than just xbmc as well. hell, it would have saved me $20 too, lol.

regards,
los93sol
easy enough to suggest Wink
sounds real easy to add...
a bit harder in reality!

where are we supposed to get the test-gfx ? all premade discs are ©opyrighted
something like this sounds perfect to make as a script imo
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

haha, of course it's easier to suggest than to actually do. i realize the premade discs are copywritten, but i guess i wrongly assumed the test patterns were a standard and there would be no implications which could possibly make their inclusion illegal.
there are some public test patterns...

use google image search
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
test pattern != calibration image

i imagine what los93sol is after is something similar that some game has, ie change brightness until you can just barely see xyz in the background

needs images (opensource) + documentation (opensource) + a developer
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

without getting technical, the calibrations the games have are a dumbed down version of the images i posted + contract control. really, that is very basic and not so great.

here's the best way to do it, and i'm not sure you will even need a dev (but you may)...

1) create a screen (custom xml) that will show the image (like one that i posted).

2) modify keymap.xml to use the brightness/contrast/sharpness controls (i could not find these but they may be avail and/or you may need a dev to add keymapping for these into code).

done.

i'd love to see this too. i think tweaking the interface setting this way would give a cleaner viewing experience and the controls are already built into xbmc.

great feature suggestion!
the images affini posted are along the lines of what i was looking for. Smile i'm not entirely sure i understand what you mean about using the keymap.xml for the brightness/contrast/sharpness controls though, the user would need to change these settings on their own tv to tune the calibration images, unless you were talking about using it for something else.
i was talking about actually controlling the xbmc settings, not the tv. obviously the tv settings are a no brainer using those images. Wink
adjustments should be made on tv, if at all possible
and issue isnt primarily images, but instructions how to calibrate properly

(pike @ dec. 09 2005,21:54 Wrote:adjustments should be made on tv, if at all possible
and issue isnt primarily images, but instructions how to calibrate properly
actually that is partially true...

to get the best picture possible you should tune each tv input separately and each device separately.

so tweaking xbmc would also be helpful to fine tune since each input device is different.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TV Calibration Settings0