HTPC NUC
Hi all,

I am kind of new to this HTPC thing. I did have some research in the internet, but still bit unclear/confused on things, hence I refer them to the experts here.

Currently I am using Plex Media Server in my Windows 7 x64 desktop (in my bedroom) to stream my media/movies to my Samsung TV/Blueray device (using Plex Samsung TV/BlueRay client) in the living room via wired LAN.
It's been working OK, but definitely have some limitations, e.g. unsupported formats, no HD audio, no FF/RW functions on some formats, slow navigations, etc.

I came across XBMC, which supposedly better than Plex, but no Samsung client.
Hence, I am thinking of buying a dedicated HTPC for this, which will be directly connected to my TV via HDMI.
Intel NUC (DC3217IYE) looks to be a good candidate as from what I've read, it can do 1080p with HD audio, high bitrate and all that.
If I buy an HTPC, I plan to install OpenElec OS in it and probably get Flirc for the remote control.

The main problem with NUC solution is quite pricey because I need to buy mSATA, the RAM (thinking of using 2GB only) and even the power cable isn't included!
Since I am planning to only use OpenElec, which only 100MB installation, 30GB mSATA (the lowest GB capacity at the moment), will seem to be 'wasted' and not cost efficient at all. It will cost me around $400.
By the way, I plan to use the NUC with OpenElec to get the media/movies from my desktop PC in my bedroom (running Win 7) via local network.
Can OpenElec do this, i.e. grab media from network drive?

I did have a read about the possibility of booting OpenElec via USB thumb stick and/or SD card, but it seems that some people experiencing some slowness after a while due to increasing number of fanart pictures, etc.
A system that run smoothly and can play everything are the most important aspects that I am looking for in a HTPC system.

What options do I have here? Should I wait for Haswell NUC which will be launched in Q3 2013 instead or are there cheaper but as good alternatives out there?

Please help me with suggestions/recommendations/any other possibilities. Sorry if it's bit long to read, but I hope it does convey what I try to achieve..

Thanks!
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534

XBMC/OE can do over "network drive". A lot of people has NAS in use for library. I do so too.
I have used USB fast thumb and I haven't complain about... but I am still looking further to go with mSATA.
I actually don't own NUC but I had i3 NUC for a few weeks to play with, so I will wait for a Haswell (it looks like it will also have IR on-board).
In the mean time Xtreamer PRO will still be in use.
If you're TV isn't 3D or you only care about 2D, the Intel Celeron 847 NUC will work just as well with OpenELEC.
(2013-06-07, 15:54)Crssi Wrote: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=140534

I have used USB fast thumb and I haven't complain about... but I am still looking further to go with mSATA.

Which USB thumb drive are you using? Is it USB3 or 2 because current NUC models only have USB2.0 sadly..
If you have nothing to complain about, what is the main reason you are looking to switch to mSATA instead of keep using OpenELEC on USB?

Is Haswell-based i3 NUC going to be more expensive than current i3 Ivy Bridge NUC when it's released, you reckon?

Also, read about current Intel chips cannot/could not play 24p properly, is that still an issue or fixed?
I read a post saying that i3 NUC + latest OpenELEC version can play 24p properly, not sure if he is right..?
It was USB 3.0 thumb drive and it is faster than 2.0 even that on board USB is 2.0.
I have two reasons for mSATA: it is faster than USB (I would like to get very short boot time) and I dont like to have dongles hanging out of the box.

Dont know about prices
Haswell will have IR, but to say anything now it is still premature.
I am in no hurry (but I am eager to get Smile) for new box, so I will wait.

No one can (graphic manufacurer... i think Sigma can do) play 24p appropriate, but this should be no problem, at least I havent noticed any, because this means 1 dropped frame every 5 minutes of playing or so.
Properly playing is not about OS like OE, but it is in graphic hardware.
As I sad, I havent seen any problems, but what I have wrote is what I have heard/read on forum.
I think this is so little and unnoticeable detail that you should not really worry about... but I can be wrong.
I think I read the new Haswell stuff plays the 24p content properly now, I'm not sure of the details though. When I get home I'll have to dig up the article.
(2013-06-10, 15:25)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I think I read the new Haswell stuff plays the 24p content properly now, I'm not sure of the details though. When I get home I'll have to dig up the article.

This?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7007/intel...spective/4

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC NUC0