Richland HTPC/Media-Storage - Hifi Case - 6 HDD
Question 
Hello there.

I´m building a HTPC/NAS combination for a friend and it would be great if some of you
experienced DIY-builders could take a quick look if this is suitable.

The PC will be connected to a Samsung 55" 3D TV and a Dolby True-HD/DTS-HD Master capable AVR later this year.
Use cases:
- XBMC (mostly dvd/bluray iso-files)
- weekly backups of two Laptops
- media storage
- little gaming (nothing fancy)

Core components:
------------------------
[Case] SilverStone Lascala LC10-E silber (SST-LC10S-E-USB3.0) (~100€)
[Fan] 2x Noctua NF-R8 PWM, 80mm (~60€)
[Fan] 2x Noctua NF-B9, 92mm (~60€)
[PSU] be quiet! Pure Power L8-CM 430W ATX 2.3 (~55€)
[MOBO] ASRock FM2A85X Extreme4-M, A85X (~ €65)
[APU] AMD A8-6500, 4x 3.50GHz, boxed / Radeon HD 8570D (Richland) (~ €105)
[CPU-Cooler] Thermalright True Spirit 90 M (~ €21)
[RAM] G.Skill Sniper DIMM Kit 8GB PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28 (DDR3-1866) (~ €60)
[INPUT]/RC] Logitech K400 Wireless Touch Keyboard (~ €30)
[HDD] 5x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 (~ €120)

Budget without the HDD´s would be <600€.

Things he already owns:
[SSD] SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5 128GB SATA
[HDD] 1x Western Digital Red WD30EFRX 3TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5
[OS] Windows 8

The build will not be running 24/7. Just when needed, approximately ~2h a day for xbmc purposes and a little longer on the weekend for the backups and a few games.

I summoned a few notes for the components:

Case:
- max. height: 180mm
- has to be silver
- enough space for 6x HDD and 1x SSD
- needs front usb 3.0

PSU:
Should be more than enough power. I think a 300W or 350W should also do the
job, but I couldn´t find one with cable management.

MOBO:
The more SATA-ports the better. If he decides to put a BluRay-Drive in there is already one short
and he would have to buy an expansion card.
With the noctua adapters(1x4pin to 2x4pin) it should be possible to connect all 4 case fans(the two 92mm behind the HDD-cases and the two 80mm in the back) to the mainboard, right?

CPU-Cooler:
According to Silverstone the max. height for the CPU-Cooler is 135mm
I´m not completely sold on the Thermalright cooler, maybe someone has a better suggestion?
For the general air flow within the case I think a top-blow cooler isn´t the best choice.
But it´s kind of hard to find a tower cooler with a big(120mm) and silent fan that fit.

RAM
Since only the A10 supports DDR3-2133 officially, the DDR3-1866 should be enough.
I don´t care about those questionable heat spreaders, but the kit got good reviews and is cheap.

We are aware that Richland will be a very short term generation and for the main purpose
an old trinity build would be maybe a 100€ cheaper. The thing is he also wants to play some arcade games
like NBA 2K13 and he is willing to pay the price for the better performance.
He wants to buy everything within the next 2 weeks or so.

I would be grateful for any constructive critic, suggestions or comments about this build.
For the PSU, are you able to find this PSU where you are? http://www.anandtech.com/show/5844/pc-po...k-iii-400w
(2013-06-07, 19:43)Dougie Fresh Wrote: For the PSU, are you able to find this PSU where you are? http://www.anandtech.com/show/5844/pc-po...k-iii-400w
Hello Dougie,
thanks for the suggestion. Yes, the Cooling Silencer Mk III 400W is available in Germany.
It´s even a little cheaper. Looks like it is the better deal.
Thank you!
It's a great PSU and it's actually built by Seasonic.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Richland HTPC/Media-Storage - Hifi Case - 6 HDD0