Fan Speed annoyance
when you set a target temperature in the options, once the cpu reaches around that temperature, the speed starts going up and down and up and down, etc.

it sounds a bit odd and makes the fan sound like its dying.

perhaps some kind of system which would alter the fan speed only every so often instead of constantly changing it?

my congratulations and thanks on an absolutely superb dashboard.
you could set a constant % (for example listen for a common tone your fan makes and set it there) then you dont have to worry about being so particular about the temp. i usually go for @ 60% and have no issues.
it would be cool, to setup the fan speed also in 5 steps, not only in 10 steps.

currently its possible to set the fan speed at this selections:
10 - 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 - 60 - 70 - 80 - 90 - 100

with 5 steps i mean this:
5 - 10 - 15 - 20 - 25 - 30 - 35 - 40 and so on..

the reason for this is because i set my fanspeed at 30%. then the cpu gets a little bit too hot.

when i set the speed to 40% the cpu temp is ok. but the fan is too loud then..

it would be fine to be more precise with the fanspeed, if this is possible.

scape
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

the xbox will turn itself off if it gets to hot (i believe the cutoff is 65 or 70 degrees on the cpu) if you want to test the system just unplug the fan.

iirc the steppings are a hardware limitation.

the steppings are not actually percentages, xbmc is adjusting the voltage and the voltage is only adjustable in specific incriments. (likely 1v incriments 3v 4v 5v 6v 7v 8v 9v 10v 11v 12v) the percentage display is for user friendlyness only

if you want to see exactly what the voltages are throw a multimeter/voltmeter on the leads leading to the fan

my fanspeed is always @ 10% and i haven't had any issues with temperature :oops: i watch hdtv content and use upscaling for dvd's, no probs here
i am not using the stock fan in the xbox.
i am using a papst 80mm fan which is rotating slower and thus is more silent than the stock xbox fan. Wink

that's why i have to setup the fanspeed to approx. 30-40%.

scape
My XBOX built into a Sony Hifi CD-Player Case
XBOX Hifi Media Center Picture Gallery

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Quote:when you set a target temperature in the options, once the cpu reaches around that temperature, the speed starts going up and down and up and down, etc.

it sounds a bit odd and makes the fan sound like its dying.

perhaps some kind of system which would alter the fan speed only every so often instead of constantly changing it?

my congratulations and thanks on an absolutely superb dashboard.

do a fan mod, it's really easy. if you dont want to cut too much, put a small 60mm fan in your box to replace crappy stock fan and it'll be near silent all the time when set to 50c in xbmc.
yeah ive got an 80mm "stealth" fan which i have been considering installing. the only thing holding me back was the fact it really didnt seem to have the same blowing power as the stock fan.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Fan Speed annoyance0