• 2(current)
AMD Kabini Boards
(2013-06-09, 20:56)Dougie Fresh Wrote: It'll probably be a while before they are out. I think I read late Q3'13. No word on prices. It will run OpenELEC but you will not get HD audio bitstreaming support unless someone somehow comes out with updated Linux AMD drivers that support it.

Does anyone know the status of HD-bitstream in the opensource driver ? Read a post a while ago that audio over HDMI should be enabled by default in kernel 3.11, but there was no mention of which formats it supported. If this issue is solved AMD really have a great HTPC platform with the Kabini.
I guess that only compressed formats like ac3, dts and aac are supported as AMD only gives 2 channels to use. So no DD TrueHD and DTS-HD (or however bitstreaming audio is called on Linux).
Wink 
(2013-07-31, 14:30)Robotica Wrote: I guess that only compressed formats like ac3 and sac are supported as AMD only gives 2 channels to use.

OK, I´m pretty sure I read somewhere that the HD limitation is not the hardware, but rather the proprietary Linux driver. Windows supports HD decoding with AMD GPUs so I can´t see that it would be a hardware limitation.

This page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Aud...gure_audio only mentions the problem when running Linux.
I didn't ment hardware limitations.

To quote fritsch:
Quote:AMD: No Bitstream at all, LPCM only 2 Channels, more channels only possible via pseudo formats like AC3, DTS that are coded on two real channels max 48 khz via hdmi (spdif 96 khz)

Off course, this is on Linux with fglrx drivers; Windows and AMD is a perfect htpc match. I haven't used Radeon drivers with xbmc but reading the forums it should work with most formats.
Quote:Off course, this is on Linux with fglrx drivers; Windows and AMD is a perfect htpc match. I haven't used Radeon drivers with xbmc but reading the forums it should work with most formats.

Sounds promising, a passive Kabini board with Linux HD decode support would definitely be my next HTPC. Getting rid of the crap fglrx drivers at the same time would be a bonus. Looks like AMD and others are doing a lot of work with the open driver, I think it was well over 100 separate patches going in to kernel 3.10.
Quote:Gigabyte deserves a special mention with their Kabini Gigabyte Brix. This is a better equipped Intel i3 NUC competitor with a price similar to the Celeron NUC.

How does the price of Gigabyte Brix compare to Intel Celeron NUC or i3 NUC?
From what I can see the i3 Brix is more expensive than the i3 NUC.
The Celeron NUC is much cheaper still.
(2013-07-31, 15:56)LasseKongo Wrote: Sounds promising, a passive Kabini board with Linux HD decode support would definitely be my next HTPC. Getting rid of the crap fglrx drivers at the same time would be a bonus. Looks like AMD and others are doing a lot of work with the open driver, I think it was well over 100 separate patches going in to kernel 3.10.
Not to mention all power management related patches in kernel 3.11, also lesser CPU usage on audio decode, new oss Radeon employee, Marek Olšák, complete updated oss dev tools, opening uvd (possible vdpau), openGL4.3 drivers, their new console customers.

This time, it's easy to see that AMD is really committed in bringing their infrastructure to a level to execute their strategy (run as much as possible on the GPU and let a few ARM/x86 CPU's be an assistant of this GPU: Lego SoC with GPU as a its' main part) and xbmc users will benefit.
(2013-07-31, 16:05)joelbaby Wrote:
Quote:Gigabyte deserves a special mention with their Kabini Gigabyte Brix. This is a better equipped Intel i3 NUC competitor with a price similar to the Celeron NUC.

According to here: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/19/gigab...intel-nuc/ the Kabini variants will cost between $50-$75. If that is true I will definitely buy one on the condition that the fan is really silent. Can´t find anything on release dates though.
I also have an $50 ARM Cubieboard waiting to run XBMC, but as long as Allwinner don´t cooperate with specs to their video decoder, I guess it will be collecting dust, and I have to buy yet another x86 HTPC. Too bad since the hardware is cabable of 1080p decoding and HD audio with only 3W power consumption.
(2013-07-31, 17:17)LasseKongo Wrote:
(2013-07-31, 16:05)joelbaby Wrote:

According to here: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/06/19/gigab...intel-nuc/ the Kabini variants will cost between $50-$75. If that is true I will definitely buy one on the condition that the fan is really silent. Can´t find anything on release dates though.

No, prices aren't announched yet. Semiaccurate is really stupid to think prices will be that low given all components in there.

Those barebone Kabini Brix (with embedded APU) will probably be between $100 and $200, depending on the SoC used. Add 4 GB RAM and a 16 GB SD-card an you'll have a very nice thin-itx HTPC for under $300, similar priced as the i3 NUC/Brix.

But also expect HP, Zotac, Lenovo and others to announce nice products.
It's really sad that AMD can't get this platform going. In a few weeks the new Intel Bay Trail Atoms will be introduced...
http://channeleye.co.uk/amd-jaguar-produ...on-ground/
It's frustrating that 2 months after "release" (aka announcement of vaporware at Computex or whatever it was) that a Google for "Kabini mini itx motherboard" still only find the press releases from June.

Haswell i3, Pentium and Bay Trail ... seems like all I will need to offer. If Kabini ever comes out then it'll be a fine gaming platform but from HTPC Intel will have it all covered.
@dougie:
You're right about the annoying delay.

However I still expect them before Silvermont bay trail-d (which happens also to be delayed). I expect wide availability from those kabini's as soon as Xbox and ps4 hit the shelves, starting in november.

(2013-08-27, 13:22)Mntz Wrote: It's really sad that AMD can't get this platform going. In a few weeks the new Intel Bay Trail Atoms will be introduced...
http://channeleye.co.uk/amd-jaguar-produ...on-ground/
For netbooks. But I still see Intel Atom as a crippled platform while the j2850 looks cool. For HTPC usage it's still better to use the Haswell Celeron/Pentium. But both the Celeron and Pentium chips feature the older Intel HD Graphics core. The most significant additions to the new Haswell lineup are the Core i3 processors features the full Haswell architecture and GT2 graphics core (HD 4600 / HD 4400) retailing between $122 – $149 US. Core i3-4130T (35W, HD4400) seems great for now.
And I've just read about new Kabinis appr. in early '14..... LOL
Yes.. It's terrible. Detail availability March 2014. And I'm already waiting since Fusion launch for a next gen htpc...
And the successor is expected to be launched in the second half of 2014 or the first half of 2015.

Unreasoned
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AMD Kabini Boards0