Linux Custom audio device ALSA
Hi all,

I have a painstakingly setup custom audio device that does duplicating /upmixing in all the crazy ways I wanted, and it works great with mplayer. Now I'd like to tell xbmc 12.2 to use it, however, I can't find a way to tell xbmc to use said device. It is set as default in asound.conf.

Thanks for any help,

Serafean
I would like to ask the same question.
In many posts the problem boils down to the duplication of a stream to two different devices e.g. pcm and hdmi.

What if there is one device iec958 that is capable of playing stereo and passthrough. However for alsa to distinguish between these:
- the 'iec958' must be opened to play pcm
- the 'iec958,AES0=0x02' must be opened for passthrough

How the alsa layer can be informed about the content without the custom passthrough device option in xbmc? Note that for passthrough the stream type is commonly set to 2ch, so distinguishing by the type is not possible.

My basic question is:
- downgrade to previous xbmc? or
- wait for next release (if the custom device option will come back ever - why is it removed anyway)?, or
- there is a way do do it now in frodo (using any config file and provide the custom device name there, or at least different pulseaudio output sink, but maybe not in a way the player should be wrapped in a script...)?
+1 for custom audio devices.

I'll spare you the long story of my frustrations. The short version:

Audio stopped working for me after I updated my Fedora/Frodo/x86_64/Ivybridge system to Kernel 3.9.x. I eventually figured out that I now had two "hdmi" devices, and it's the second one I needed.

0) disable/remove pulse audio. (I never had it installed, but worth noting that it can grab the device.)

1) figure out what device you want (aplay, speakertest)

2) Set the device in ~/.xbmc/userdata/advancedsettings.xml. Here is my file:
<advancedsettings>
<audiooutput>
<audiodevice>ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1</audiodevice>
<passthroughdevice>ALSA:hdmi:CARD=PCH,DEV=1</passthroughdevice>
</audiooutput>
</advancedsettings>

2.b) you should be able to tweak any of the guisettings.xml by copying them to advancedsettings.xml and modifying them.

This worked for me, hopefully it will work for you. Look at ~/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log to figure out what device AudioEngine eventually opens once it's done exhausting all the wrong options from the auto-scan.

--- Carl

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Custom audio device ALSA0