• 3(current)
XBMC settings won't save, why????
Awesome sounds good mate thanks in advance.

Hope you can get it sorted Smile and hope the plugin thing will work! I would have thought it has to be fixed outside of XBMC as as soon as XBMC is opened it will do what it does to overwrite those settings files with the default crap which then can't be overwritten with the correct settings with XBMC running using the settings files - shows how much I know!

Fingers crossed.
try this out, let me know if it works for you, its working for me, kind of i think it needs a little more tweaking, but test it out and let me know how it goes.

unzip this file in your addons folder...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qla78k
heres the logic in case anyone is wondering...

1.- unzip the folder inside the zip into your addons folder, shouldnt be a problem..
2.- REBOOT NOW the script will load AFTER the first reboot.
3.- Set your settings however you want in xbmc. AFTER previous reboot
4.- REBOOT from within XBMC, you know the little button thats on your bottom left side of the screen besides the favorite button.
5.- whenever the scripts detects a shutdown or reboot it will do a hard copy of your guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml into our scripts folder.
6.- after reboot it copys back the files previously copied into your userdata folder and THEN logs into XBMC.

Let me know how it goes, sure it needs a couple reboots when first installed but its doing good here in my box.
Will give that a go when I get home tonight. Sounds gooooooooood!!! Smile

So, once I've done steps 1 thru 6 above, I don't need to do anything again? All I need to do is boot XBMC as per normal and shut down the media player as per normal (don't need to exit XBMC first)?

Thanks mate.
yes, you dont have to do anything anymore, its working very fine for me!!!

if you want to save you have to exit with reboot or shutdown xbmc.

if you didnt change any setting you can power off the device however you want you can unplug the AC adapter or whatever and it will have your lastest saved settings Smile

Remember it always holds your guisettings and advancedsettings in the scripts folder so even if lights go out you ALWAYS have a backup file there that will copy ALWAYS into your userdata folder when it boots.
Great thanks. Do i have to deleye my advancedsettings.xml file first? And/or my guisettings one? Or leave both? And do I need to create a directory for where the plugin stores the proper settings files that it uses?
1.- No you dont delete anything, the plugin will save whatever it finds and that includes your changes..
2.- You dont need to create a directory, the zip file contains a directory with two files just drop the directory thats in the zip file in your addons folder
3.- advancedsettings.xml and guisettings.xml will be stored in that folder that you dropped in your addons folder, it will do it automatically so dont worry about it.

let me know if it works for you.
Hey there,

Ok put the zip contents into the Addons folder (in their own folder), turned device off, turned on, ran XBMC, set up settings how I want them, quit XBMC using the quit icon on home scree, turned device off, turned device on, started XBMC and settings are as how I left them (but they always are at this stage so I won't know if this worked for a few days or perhaps a week or so as that's when they normally reset!).

I see in the code it has a few 'print' lines.. I didn't see any text on screen throughout the above process, does this mean it didn't work?

I also am looking in the addons/plugin.tv.start/ folder and see only addon.xml, advancedsettings.xml and default.py. There is no guisettings.xml. I though it was supposed to copy both?

Please advise Smile And hoping it is working with just the advanced settings in there. Would also be cool to see that print text in your script so that I can see it working. Should the print text show when device is booted? Or when XBMC is booted?

Ta.
the print statements are for debugging, should show up in the xbmc.log

the script looks into your userdata folder('special://masterprofile/') as mentioned in the wiki here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Special_protocol

if you only found the advancedsettings.xml in the folder thats because thats the only thing that found the script. Keep doing the proper shutdowns or reboots, for a couple of days and keep checking if the guisettings.xml shows up. If it doesnt please report back to me as maybe your xbmc installation is making a copy in another folder. But i really dont think this so.

Check to see if theres a guisettings.xml in your userdata folder that folder should be on the same level as the addons folder... I hope it fixes your problem, i will keep checking in on this post to see what happens
on the other hand if you made changes to your settings a guisettings.xml should be created in your userdata folder, its strange that it didnt, maybe thats the reason you are losing your settings..
I dont believe i have a masterprofile folder? I do have a guisettings file this is under userdata. Is this not where it should be? Can i use echo tags to print text onto the screen in the script?
there are two userdata folders the xbmc userdata which is not writable at least on my midnight gbox

and the userdata for the user which is located in the masterprofile...

you could point the script instead of masterprofile to where ever you want just use something like

change this:
destinationDirectory = xbmc.translatePath('special://masterprofile/')

to:

destinationDirectory = '/root/.xbmc/userdata/'

xbmc.translatePath() is only used to translate the "special" paths but since you are going to hardcode it to the directory you want you dont need it..

look for the xbmc.log you will find all the debug information there.
Oh ok so where is the masterprofile folder located I have never seen that folder whilst in there. Maybe thats the issue because i make advancedsettings in userdata not masterprofile? Why are there 2 locations for settings though and which does XBMC actually use?

Thanks
There are two userdata folders, the system one contains default settings necessary for XBMC to operate, and the userdata folder for user modifications. Do not touch the files in the first system-userdata folder. This page (and most references on the wiki) are about editing the second, user-accessible, userdata folder.

please continue to read this here:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata

that will teach you all about the userdata and settings you need to backup.

Also the masterprofile is a "special" path that is "invented" by xbmc, its not a real path, its just a way to find the same folder under diferent operating systems, thats how we developers can make 1 plugin that works for most setups.

Thats why i used a special path because according to the wiki and my device its the special path where the userdata guisettings.xml and advancedsettings.xml are located.

wiki says:

special://masterprofile - XBMC's main configuration directory. Normally located at special://home/userdata, this directory contains global settings and sources, as well as any XBMC profile directories. Normally special://home/userdata

source:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Userdata
Hmm ok you've lost me lol. So, what do you recommend I do seeing as how only advancedsettings.xml appear in the script folder and not guisettings.xml? Is just advanced settings enough? I should leave as-is and it should be fine? Or do I need to change something somewhere?

Please advise - much appreciated!

Oh also, can I add echo "text here" lines to the script to show text on screen so I know when it's running?

Thanks mate.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings won't save, why????0