OpenELEC vs Windows builds
Question 
I'm not sure I get the difference in builds - the OpenELEC ones are so much cheaper.

What can XBMC on Windows do that OpenELEC can't?

Thinking of grabbing a Zotac ID80 but I'm wondering why I wouldn't build an i3 / intel hd graphics box other than price.

Cheers
The ID80 (non plus) was dumped in Holland last March at € 130,- (end of life), what have you seen and what do they cost at this moment if still available?
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Zotac ZBOX-ID80-U Intel NM10 2 x 204Pin NVIDIA GeForce GT520M Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System
$211.99 CDN plus shipping?
The ID80 was followed up by the ID84 (with Atom D2550) and with the same nVidia Gt 520m GPU. The ID84 is still a bit more more available but is also almost E.O.L..

Both tiny PC's do well with OE but they are not the last state of art. I can understand that you consider a self build solution with the price for this Zbox, but mostly you can't get the self build as tiny as those already build barebone's. I one could still get one for the last dump prices then there is no competitor for that. If size is not an issue then maybe you can find a alternative.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
I guess I'm just wondering of openelec vs windows builds, because the id80 is far less powerful than the windows builds
That is correct, but the ID80 is powerful enough to be used as an low energy multimedia player that even has a possibility to display Full HD 3D (2x 1920x1080) in a Windows environment (with the right software setup). But if you have other plans with it besides playing media then there could be better choices.
in general, go for a Windows O/S if you:
- are a Gamer
- are a NetFlix subscriber
- need Bluray Disc Playback
- need to Surf the full web
Or if u use Windows media center to record tv
- need Bluray Disc Playback << that can be already being done under Openelec. I've had a Arctic MC001-BR and that played a physical Blu-ray disc under Openelec without any issues. Maybe there are some discs that give problems but the one I have played well with one of the last OE builds (3.xx)
(2013-06-16, 14:37)p750mmx Wrote: - need Bluray Disc Playback << that can be already being done under Openelec. I've had a Arctic MC001-BR and that played a physical Blu-ray disc under Openelec without any issues. Maybe there are some discs that give problems but the one I have played well with one of the last OE builds (3.xx)

Didnt know that Openelec could play physical Bluray discs (like movies)
(2013-06-16, 21:47)solamnic Wrote:
(2013-06-16, 14:37)p750mmx Wrote: - need Bluray Disc Playback << that can be already being done under Openelec. I've had a Arctic MC001-BR and that played a physical Blu-ray disc under Openelec without any issues. Maybe there are some discs that give problems but the one I have played well with one of the last OE builds (3.xx)

Didnt know that Openelec could play physical Bluray discs (like movies)

Its a bit hit and miss due to newer version of encryption being used. About half of my retail disks play in OE3. Also OE has a add on to install Opera web browser.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC vs Windows builds0