Managing libraries with multiple format versions of the same albums
Hi guys - long time XBMC user but infrequent poster here. First off - hats off to Team XBMC for what is an awesome piece of software and has long been a central feature in our household.

I'm just wondering how (and even if) other people manage their music libraries where they have multiple copies of the same album in different formats. Let me explain more, as I'm sure that sounds like a fairly daft setup at first.

XBMC sits on my media server PC which also hosts iTunes, iTunes and XBMC are both pointed to the same music library, so that if I add something to iTunes in lossy format it automatically is picked up by XBMC. Makes sense, and means that when I'm in my home office I can use my iPad to stream my iTunes library.

My "standard" rip will be done to FLAC, however if I want to be able to stream the music I also have to have a lossy version on iTunes, as it doesn't understand FLAC. The drawback with this is that I either have to tag the albums separately (AlbumName - FLAC, etc) which stops the scrapers working properly, otherwise when XBMC plays an album it ends up playing both copies of track 1, then both of track 2... or the album twice.

Am thinking that there has to be a more elegant way to manage this without having to mess around with suffixes on album titles, but the only option I can think of is to jailbreak the iPad and put XBMC on it Smile

How do, or would other people combat this?
If you're invested in the Apple/iTunes format, then why not rip your CDs as ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) - this will allow you to have a single audio file which is compatible with both XBMC in lossless, and compatible with your iTunes library.
Thanks very much - that appears to work a treat. I'd missed the advent of Apple Lossless, so have tested it, built a killer DOS script and am running a batch that, using FFMPEG, will convert my existing files from FLAC to ALAC.

Job's a good'un!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Managing libraries with multiple format versions of the same albums0