• 2(current)
Release Random Trailers Screensaver / Script
(2013-06-30, 01:18)block134 Wrote: Is there a way to point this to a specified folder where I have my trailers saved for use with Cinema Experience?

Just updated version with this feature. Install from GIT See link on first post.
-ken Z-
First of all I wanted to give major kudos for making such a COOL useful app!

One of the problems I'm running into is as I get more of my movies ripped and entered, guests have a harder and harder time trying to decide what to watch.. it's information overload in a way. I've tried the "are you in the mood for a comedy, sci fi.." thing, I've tried showing them new stuff from 2013, or 2012 etc. But there are so many older movies which are so good that I think a screensaver app like this is an awesome addition to any media center.

Bug (1):

After working successfully a couple times, I think the screensaver app just crashed XBMC several times. The trailer kept playing in the background while the error was displayed (lol). I was able to fix it by uninstalling the add-on, exiting, re-entering, re-adding the add on, and setting it as screensaver again. Really not sure what happened but it's working again.

Crash example SS:
http://i.imgur.com/YNeOuN0.jpg

Bug (2):

Once I got everything set up I wanted to do a "burn in" trailer test while I did stuff in a nearby room, so I could monitor how the screensaver worked. It worked great. Splash screen would show, trailers would play. Unfortunately when I came back and hit ESC during one of the trailers, the XBMC UI never returned and the screen remained black except for I could see the XBMC cursor. Meanwhile, as I pressed buttons or hit ESC again I could hear XBMC making its notification noises in the background, yet the screen was black and there was no UI. I was forced to hit CTRL ESC (windows key) and right click, close XBMC. I tried it again later and the same thing is happening - I'm really not sure why when returning from the screensaver/trailer, it doesn't show me XBMC again. Meanwhile if I do a preview and only let 1 trailer play this does not happen. It seems to only happen when I let it go playing trailers for a while.

On to suggestions!

Is there a way to control the volume of the trailers being played? Can you add a % volume for trailers to the settings, so that we can play the trailers at a lower than 100% volume if it's just quietly going in the background? Could double as your trailer mute by setting to 0%. Sometimes the trailers just start blasting and it's super annoying. I don't want to have to manually change volume all the time.

Well thank you again for making such a super cool app!

Thanks
XBMC crashing, appears to be due to Random Trailers AddOn. The trailer info window opens and it looks like the trailer tries to start playing and then the app crashes. I just updated to 12.3. Don't know if that has any bearing or not.

Debug Log
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-12-26, 03:40)wgstarks Wrote: XBMC crashing, appears to be due to Random Trailers AddOn. The trailer info window opens and it looks like the trailer tries to start playing and then the app crashes. I just updated to 12.3. Don't know if that has any bearing or not.

Debug Log

Looking at the Debug log it looks like the YouTube addon is crashing. Random Trailers just tells xbmc to play the trailer, the you tube addon does the actual playing.

Does this happen with every trailer?

(2013-12-25, 21:08)Chupacabra_ Wrote: First of all I wanted to give major kudos for making such a COOL useful app!

One of the problems I'm running into is as I get more of my movies ripped and entered, guests have a harder and harder time trying to decide what to watch.. it's information overload in a way. I've tried the "are you in the mood for a comedy, sci fi.." thing, I've tried showing them new stuff from 2013, or 2012 etc. But there are so many older movies which are so good that I think a screensaver app like this is an awesome addition to any media center.

Bug (1):

After working successfully a couple times, I think the screensaver app just crashed XBMC several times. The trailer kept playing in the background while the error was displayed (lol). I was able to fix it by uninstalling the add-on, exiting, re-entering, re-adding the add on, and setting it as screensaver again. Really not sure what happened but it's working again.

Crash example SS:
http://i.imgur.com/YNeOuN0.jpg

Bug (2):

Once I got everything set up I wanted to do a "burn in" trailer test while I did stuff in a nearby room, so I could monitor how the screensaver worked. It worked great. Splash screen would show, trailers would play. Unfortunately when I came back and hit ESC during one of the trailers, the XBMC UI never returned and the screen remained black except for I could see the XBMC cursor. Meanwhile, as I pressed buttons or hit ESC again I could hear XBMC making its notification noises in the background, yet the screen was black and there was no UI. I was forced to hit CTRL ESC (windows key) and right click, close XBMC. I tried it again later and the same thing is happening - I'm really not sure why when returning from the screensaver/trailer, it doesn't show me XBMC again. Meanwhile if I do a preview and only let 1 trailer play this does not happen. It seems to only happen when I let it go playing trailers for a while.

On to suggestions!

Is there a way to control the volume of the trailers being played? Can you add a % volume for trailers to the settings, so that we can play the trailers at a lower than 100% volume if it's just quietly going in the background? Could double as your trailer mute by setting to 0%. Sometimes the trailers just start blasting and it's super annoying. I don't want to have to manually change volume all the time.

Well thank you again for making such a super cool app!

Thanks

I will try to duplicate the lock screen issue, Does it happen every time the screensaver starts and you let it run for a few movies?

I Like the adjustable volume idea, I think I know how to implement it and will give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks

Ken Z
-ken Z-
Just added new feature to allow adjusting volume during trailer playback rather than just simply muting it.

Currently available via git only at https://github.com/kzeleny/screensaver.randomtrailers

Ken Z
-ken Z-
(2013-12-26, 19:11)kzeleny Wrote: Looking at the Debug log it looks like the YouTube addon is crashing. Random Trailers just tells xbmc to play the trailer, the you tube addon does the actual playing.

Yes, as far as I can tell. I'm really just getting started testing. The crashes seem to be happening every time the screensaver launches. Only when set to Random Trailers. If I configure for trailers in a local folder will that limit playback to local files only (no YouTube)?
ASUS Chromebox M004U (LibreELEC 8.2/Aeon Nox SiLVO)--->HDMI--->Onkyo TX-NR646--->HDMI--->Panasonic P65VT30
(2013-12-26, 22:53)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 19:11)kzeleny Wrote: Looking at the Debug log it looks like the YouTube addon is crashing. Random Trailers just tells xbmc to play the trailer, the you tube addon does the actual playing.

Yes, as far as I can tell. I'm really just getting started testing. The crashes seem to be happening every time the screensaver launches. Only when set to Random Trailers. If I configure for trailers in a local folder will that limit playback to local files only (no YouTube)?

Yes if you configure it for local file it will only play trailers in a specific folder, it will not play trailers from your library.

I am running windows and only have that OS available to test on. I know they may allot of changes to support new osx.

I could put in a few debug statements in the script to determine exactly where it is crashing.

Also did it work in XBMC 12.2?
-ken Z-
(2013-12-26, 23:04)kzeleny Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 22:53)wgstarks Wrote:

Yes if you configure it for local file it will only play trailers in a specific folder, it will not play trailers from your library.

I am running windows and only have that OS available to test on. I know they may allot of changes to support new osx.

I could put in a few debug statements in the script to determine exactly where it is crashing.

Updated to latest nightly of Gotham and that seems to have stopped the crashes. Random Trailers works fine when I configure to use local folder. I get a huge number of YouTube script failures if I disable the local folder. Something like 9 out of 10 will fail, maybe worse. Is this normal? Here's a new debug log.
(2013-12-27, 00:39)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 23:04)kzeleny Wrote:
(2013-12-26, 22:53)wgstarks Wrote: Yes, as far as I can tell. I'm really just getting started testing. The crashes seem to be happening every time the screensaver launches. Only when set to Random Trailers. If I configure for trailers in a local folder will that limit playback to local files only (no YouTube)?

Updated to latest nightly of Gotham and that seems to have stopped the crashes. Random Trailers works fine when I configure to use local folder. I get a huge number of YouTube script failures if I disable the local folder. Something like 9 out of 10 will fail, maybe worse. Is this normal? Here's a new debug log.

I have had issues with youtube if I select 1080P as the resolution. I set mine down to 480P so it would start faster and eliminate buffering i was seeing. Not sure if that would help but it may be worth a try.

But that being said you should not be getting that many errors, can you play these trailers manually reliably?
-ken Z-
New Version 1.1.2 added feature to allow you to adjust volume of trailers rather than just mute.

You can download now from git or it should be in the official Repo soon.
-ken Z-
(2013-12-27, 01:18)kzeleny Wrote: I have had issues with youtube if I select 1080P as the resolution. I set mine down to 480P so it would start faster and eliminate buffering i was seeing. Not sure if that would help but it may be worth a try.

But that being said you should not be getting that many errors, can you play these trailers manually reliably?

Most won't play manually either. Perhaps I need to post this to a YouTube thread. In the meantime is there any way to keep the "Hide Trailers For Watched Videos" function when using local folder?
Hej! Zeleny,

Unfortunately even after upgrading to XBMC 12.3 and the latest trailer screensaver the "missing XBMC UI" issue still happens. Here are the steps I took:

1. Under settings > appearance > screensaver > preview > I let it go for 3 trailers. After which, the UI Returned just fine.
2. After setting the screensaver to 1 min to come on, and letting 5 trailers play, this is what my screen looked like (missing XBMC UI, but XBMC cursor. Also, if I pressed printscreen twice, the XBMC screenshot window would come up, but when I left it, there was still no XBMC UI. It was like it was running but never got refreshed and re-displayed somehow)

http://i.imgur.com/pbzjIsb.jpg

(2013-12-27, 08:20)Chupacabra_ Wrote: Hej! Zeleny,

Unfortunately even after upgrading to XBMC 12.3 and the latest trailer screensaver the "missing XBMC UI" issue still happens. Here are the steps I took:

1. Under settings > appearance > screensaver > preview > I let it go for 3 trailers. After which, the UI Returned just fine.
2. After setting the screensaver to 1 min to come on, and letting 5 trailers play, this is what my screen looked like (missing XBMC UI, but XBMC cursor. Also, if I pressed printscreen twice, the XBMC screenshot window would come up, but when I left it, there was still no XBMC UI. It was like it was running but never got refreshed and re-displayed somehow)

http://i.imgur.com/pbzjIsb.jpg

I have been trying to replicate this with no luck Confused What OS and Skin are you using. Could you post a debug log too, see here fi you dont know how http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file

Thanks!

Ken Z

(2013-12-27, 04:26)wgstarks Wrote:
(2013-12-27, 01:18)kzeleny Wrote: I have had issues with youtube if I select 1080P as the resolution. I set mine down to 480P so it would start faster and eliminate buffering i was seeing. Not sure if that would help but it may be worth a try.

Most won't play manually either. Perhaps I need to post this to a YouTube thread. In the meantime is there any way to keep the "Hide Trailers For Watched Videos" function when using local folder?

sounds like a youtube issue then.

Currently there is no way to hide traielrs for watched videos when playing from a folder. I only use folder to watch new trailers so I have not had a need for this but I will look into it.

Thanks

Ken Z
-ken Z-
Windows 7, x64 bit, XBMC 12.3, and stock Confluence skin. (Have not installed any skins yet)

Will PM log to you as soon as I can figure out how to strip it of any passwords or other info. Any idea of what to search for to remove them?

Thanks
(2013-12-27, 19:31)Chupacabra_ Wrote: Windows 7, x64 bit, XBMC 12.3, and stock Confluence skin. (Have not installed any skins yet)

Will PM log to you as soon as I can figure out how to strip it of any passwords or other info. Any idea of what to search for to remove them?

Thanks

That is exactly the same setup I am using without issues.

passwords may be included if you set them up on any addons like youtube etc. You would have to search for whatever user name you used. Also it will show your login name in the path to the XBMC profile folder. starting with c:\users\ Then your PC Login Name you may want to delete that too.

Thanks
-ken Z-
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Random Trailers Screensaver / Script1