Linux HDMI resolution and "keep alive" issues
Howdy fellas, first post in here but I've obviously been lurking for a while, the guides and several threads here have helped me setup my htpc almost perfectly!

I've seen a few threads somewhat related to this problem, but couldn't find a solution or one that was quite the same exact problem, but please point me to another thread if you recognize the issue..

My new machine is based on a gigabyte mini-itx celeron 1007u board, with intel HD graphics. It has hdmi output, which if plugged in directly to the TV (5 year old Samsung plasma, 720p) works perfectly. The output resolution when plugged directly to the TV seems to be 1024x768 (weird, as I would expect it to be 1360x768).

I want to run the signal through my A/V receiver (Sony HT-SS380) though.. And that's where the problem starts. Right away, when booting up, the boot screen, bios, etc are all off - the image is cropped. When the machine boots into XBMCBuntu/XBMC, the image looks fuzzy, text is hard to read, etc. The available resolutions, in xbmc and openbox, are 1280x720 and 1920x1080 (and a few smaller resolutions that I can't remember. 800x600 maybe?).

The other (perhaps related?) issue is that my receiver seems to shut itself off after a while (10 mins or so, not sure) as if there is no signal from the htpc, even if I'm actively using the machine (happened yesterday a few times while installing packages, setting up addons etc).

So my question is, can I force the display's native resolution somehow, even if the receiver is somehow messing things up? Does anyone have any links or details to how the hdmi protocol actually works, as far as detecting the display's resolution, etc..? Any tips that might help would be greatly appreciated. Any ideas about keeping the receiver on would be appreciated as well!
Hmm dig some additional digging into this. My TV (Samsung PN42A400C2D) has two HDMI inputs - the manual mentions a PC input (the resolution is indeed 1024x768, only the 50" model of that generation had the higher display res) must be connected to HDMI 2. That's the port I had been using when plugging straight into the TV, but my receiver is plugged into HDMI 1. I'll have to test if swapping the HDMI inputs on the TV will propagate the correct resolution through the receiver, and hopefully not affect the other devices plugged into the receiver!

I'll update the thread when I test this out. In the mean time, does anyone think the receiver shutting itself off might be related to this as well?..
No such luck.. Seems like it's the receiver's fault and there's not much I can do about it. Tried to force the 1024x768 resolution by adding it as a mode through xrandr but the screen goes blank when I switch to that mode. Oh well Sad

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI resolution and "keep alive" issues0