OpenElec Install Over Crystalbuntu HDD
Hey everyone

sorry for the total noob question, I've searched the forum but couldn't get a detailed answer to my questions.

I have a 1st Gen Apple TV (grey) and I have installed Crystalbuntu onto the HDD, so it boots directly to XBMC which is great love the program.

My problem is I now only noticed that my wifi will not work(ethernet cable is not an option of me and my wifi card is still installed in the ATV, i didn't install the crystalhd card).

Now I've read that Openelec supports wifi and component connection without any files to be edited, so my question is should I install Openelec on the Apple TV instead?

Is I possible to just install Openelec over Crystalbuntu from a USB stick or do I need to reinstall the original ATV to factory settings and if so how is this done.

Sorry I know a lot of questions in 1 post, hopefully someone has the knowledge to help me

Cheers lpoolfan
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2013-06-18, 12:06)lpoolfan Wrote: My problem is I now only noticed that my wifi will not work(ethernet cable is not an option of me and my wifi card is still installed in the ATV, i didn't install the crystalhd card).

Why use (stay with) Crystalbuntu if you haven't a CrystalHD card installed?
because without linux installed you only get xbmc eden and most of the add ons are not supported in eden.
(2013-07-05, 19:21)phil14 Wrote: because without linux installed you only get xbmc eden and most of the add ons are not supported in eden.

OpenELEC is Linux as well.
He means that he installed Crystalbuntu over the original ATV OS because we no longer support the original ATV OS (which is based on Mac OS X 10.4, and Frodo min-requirement is OS X 10.6).

As for why someone would use Crystalbuntu over OpenELEC, probably because it preforms a lot better on ATV1 hardware. I was using OpenELEC for a long time on ATV1, and really tried to give it a chance, but Crystalbuntu 2 runs a lot faster (GUI, etc). Crystalbuntu is just a specialized ATV1 XBMC ubuntu build, and isn't really specific to having the Crystal HD card or not, despite the name.

OpenELEC is a lot easier to set up things like wifi and TVHeadend (Crystalbuntu is actually missing some kernel drivers for some USB tuners).

As for OP's question, yes, you can install OpenELEC right over Crystalbuntu. There's even an option to copy your XBMC settings from Crystalbuntu over to the new OpenELEC install.
Sorry, this is a dated thread but I just tried to install over Crystalbuntu and it ignored the bootable USB inserted.
(2013-12-02, 07:08)KonaHilo Wrote: Sorry, this is a dated thread but I just tried to install over Crystalbuntu and it ignored the bootable USB inserted.

Try holding "down" on the Apple remote while booting up, which should force it to look at USB first for bootable media.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenElec Install Over Crystalbuntu HDD0