Introduce a 'shortcoming' section for HDMI-CEC
Hi,

As many fans of XBMC did, I bought a Raspberry Pi and I tinkered with it. Then I installed OpenELEC on it. I tried HDMI-CEC for a moment and couldn't do what I wanted with the remote, I first thought there was an issue with the TV and/or OpenELEC configuration.

But that wasn't the case, while the TV is a Sharp with an Aquos Link —the Sharp branded name for HDMI-CEC— it didn't work as expected until I found out that the remote directional keys aren't sent over HDMI, but only a few play/pause/rewind/forward/etc. So the TV cannot control XBMC, or more complex systems.

This lost time could have been avoided if the following section described the shortcomings (of some TV vendors) on the HDMI CEC wiki page. For example : the Sharp LC-32LE600E remote directional keys are not sent over HDMI. I'm sure other vendors/models have similar limitations. Plus there might be other kind of shortcommings.
Also note that I propose the name "shortcommings" for this section rather than elaborate the existing "common issues with CEC" because there wasn't actually a technical problem in my case, just that some keys worked others didn't.

I hope this very little contribution will help others.

Cheers,
Brice

[EDITED : forgot the link to the wiki Wink ]
this is very much vendor and model specific. it's not so much "shortcomings of CEC", but most likely your vendor chose not to implement those keys in the model you got. or you ran into a bug in libCEC. but looking at the remote, and how it says Aquos Link at the bottom, Sharp chose to not implement the rest of the buttons. other Sharp models will have support for the rest, just yours doesn't.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Hi, yes precisely I understood that. But what you said is not mentioned on the wiki page. I didn't know that vendors might implement only partially the CEC at the time I first tried Raspberry + XBMC + Sharp TV, that got me confused as to what was wrong, XBMC, the TV, the HDMI wire, etc. Until I realized CEC support was incomplete even while the TV supported Aquos Link. I think other users might benefit from knowing that possible limitation as well Wink

Maybe the "shortcoming" name isn't my best pick, anyway I just wanted the page to say there could be a "limitation" where some vendors / some models do not fully implement CEC and that may mean that some keys are not sent over HDMI.

Cheers,
Brice
well, you can very much apply that to everything XBMC provides. it only works if you have hardware that supports it Smile

we've created a basic vendor support matrix on libCEC's website: http://libcec.pulse-eight.com/vendor/support
but this is vendor support in general, and there can always be differences per model. cheaper models often don't come with CEC, or with less features available. not a single vendor has implemented every feature that is documented in the spec, in any model. CEC is just the name of the protocol, and libCEC is an implementation of this protocol, but it also doesn't implement the full spec.

you always have to check which features are supported by your TV, or by your AVR. you also have to check whether an AVR that supports "HDMI audio" supports something like AC3 or DTS decoding.
opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
Hi, I am new to KODI and does not consider myself a technical person. I have a Sharp 70 inch TV. When I plug KODI into one of the HDMI inputs I lose all control with the TV remote...volume, power, inputs, etc...
Kodi works fine but I must unplug the HDMI to use the TV. Is there a fix?

paul
Please don't post the same question in multiple places. Once is enough
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Ok, massive bump...

I have a Sharp TV which has the same remote control and exactly the same problem as described by the topic starter. I was wondering if there is any way to get HDMI CEC working? Maybe through a different remote?
I am afraid that the only thing that it can do is use the useless 'Record' button, but maybe someone knows a solution/workaround.
The buttons that are forwarded over CEC are chosen by the TV.
There is nothing kodi can do if buttons are not forwarded.

There may be menu options that change the behaviour, but these will be on the TV and/or remote.
E.g. Panasonic has a magic option to enable forwarding the PVR buttons.

This option is described in the Panasonic user manual. It might be worth having a close look at your Sharp user manual or ask Sharp's technical support.
Thanks.
I contacted Sharp. I hope there is a way to get it working, because like this it is fairly useless.
Moved to general support section.
The reply of Sharp was that I should schedule an appointment with one of their technicians...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Introduce a 'shortcoming' section for HDMI-CEC0