• 8(current)
Best TV box for running XBMC
(2014-07-31, 00:50)nikicollazo Wrote: @metalizm where'd you get the box for $129? I just got the neo x8 (didn't need the extra dtshd on the x8-h) for $145 on amazon. the x8-h was $165

Newegg
Now that the Linux firmware for AMLogic devices such as Transmort S89 and Beelink S82 is out I can say these boxes are one of the best and fastest devices

AMLinux for Beelink S82 / Tronsmart Vega S89 devices
http://www.stane1983.com/amlinux/
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

So you lose ability to install Android apps with this?
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
For the hardware on the Amazon Fire TV at ~$75 (with $25 off coupon) and the ability to return it back to Staples I couldn't resist. It runs XBMC very smoothly and I'm not finding any issues. I was contemplating for the past month or two buying one of the S82 devices or waiting for the newer generation but with the cheap options running $60 a pop and the others at $120-140 it ended up being a no brainer get the AFTV. The 2gb RAM, 8gb memory, and the processor in it, if I recall correctly, benchmarks higher than the S82.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.... My limiter in running XBMC appears to be network speed and XBMC's own flaws. But I'm only recently adopting XBMC on a daily basis... I was using Roku for quite awhile since I cut cable 7-8 months back.

For an example of how well it's working. I just got my parents (65 and 60 years old, not vastly computer literate) one each and they barely know how to email, have trouble finding pictures or documents in Windows machines, etc. and they're both considering cutting their $140-200 cable bills.
Is the $75 deal still available? Link? Thanks.
My HT
(2014-08-04, 20:17)hdmkv Wrote: So you lose ability to install Android apps with this?
ّI dont need to run android apps on my xbmc box, I have ouya if my son wants to play android games and we all have plenty of android/ios tablets/phones to run our apps.
I just needed a descent xbmc box.
I know it still has so many works to do but for the price it works smooth and very fast
Proud xbmp/xbmc/kodi user since early days of 1st gen xbox

(2014-08-04, 23:41)hdmkv Wrote: Is the $75 deal still available? Link? Thanks.

Staples has that deal on and off all the time. Just keep an eye out for $20/25/whatever off $100 coupons from Staples.
Already have 3x FTV's Blush, so at this point, I'll wait for official Android TV boxes to come out Q4 as expected.
My HT
Hi all,

I've read this thread with great interest. I'm also looking for a TV media box, and from my research, it looks like XBMC or Openelec is the way to go. I do need a nice, sturdy remote with big nav buttons, and the box needs to boot fast, have no fan, and be responsive and slick.

I don't stream, so USB playback is enough.

What are my options?

Thank you!
  • 8(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best TV box for running XBMC1