Cat5 vs WiFi vs Powerline
I just bought a new home and need to need outfit it with connectivity. In my current home I have GB all throughout. I would like to do the same thing but dont want to relive the hassel of running cat5 from the basement to the second second floor off the main. I had trouble with wireless while watching HD or 3D movies which is why I ran Cat5 everywhere. I have read good things about the Powerline adapters but before I invest in them I wanted to ask for opinions from people that have used them. So what do you think?

Thanks,

David
They are better than WIFI (but performance depends on the electrical wiring in your house)

If I were you, I'd go for CAT5 - it's the only way you can guarantee proper performance.
You have to try powerline adapters to see if they work for you, I'm afraid - I know people who love them, yet I had no end of trouble with the ones I tried and was glad to get rid of them.

In the end, I'm a wires man - trying to shift large files around on even 802.11n is futile compared to a length of UTP.
Sold... I had to run a 220v line to the attic anyway for the dryer and havent closed the holes yet. Ill just run the Cat5 off to the side of the 220v and then drop into each room.

Thanks!
Running a mixture of Solwise 200Mb and 500Mb powerline adapters here.

Test software shows connections of approx 160-180 Mb transfer rates - I have no issues with streaming 10-15GB 3D MKV's from my NAS through my Pi...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
I also use powerline with no issues but if you can get the Ethernet ran do it and while you are at it get Cat6 not Cat5...
יונתן בן-חיים
I understand the GB can be carried over both Cat5e ad Cat6 for up to 300 feet but Cat6 may result in slightly faster transfer speeds due to more resistance to interference. Have you noticed any real differences between the cables on less that 100 feet runs? I have some left over cat5 already so I was planning to use that.

Thanks,

David
Yeah Cat5e can do GB and no I cant say I have seen an issue in under 100ft runs.
I work in a Data Center and order Cat6 for projects at work so I ran my house with Cat6 with leftover cables from projects but have used plenty of Cat5e over the years with no issues as well.
יונתן בן-חיים
Cat 6a is the way to future-proof your house - you'll be able to upgrade to 10Gbit ethernet once it's available at consumer-level prices (and there are finally signs that it might be starting to head that way).

The minimal extra cost is worth it over Cat-5e IMO.
I would be wary of running cat-anything too close to your AC wiring, but if you have an opportunity to run proper cabling then jump at it.

I use powerline because post earthquake I am renting and not about to go to the time and trouble of running cat6 in an old house that isn't mine.

But repairing our house (if/when) most wall/ceiling coverings will be off and I will be fully wired. The most tech capable 1927 house in town Smile

Present setup though has the server/backend and lounge xbmc/mythfrontend box wired to the router (because they are next to each other). The HD homeruns are also hard wired to the router and thence to the server. The HD homeruns really didn't work over powerline to the server, very glitchy tv!

Each (of 4) bedrooms has powerline and an xbmc/mythfrontend box and it seem to work, but I don't think we ever really have all 4 of the powerline clients going at once. (for one thing the hard wired lounge 65 inch setup wins the popularity stakes over watching 32 inches in the bedroom). Occasionally I get lag in the master bedroom and have to unplug/replug the powerline box. I do look forward to a fully wired setup again, but powerline can work OK if wired isn't an alternative.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Im going to go ahead and run the cables but I have now read enough about catX and electrical that I will not run them in the same holes.

David
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up running cat5e since I had it already. Works great.
I am contemplating the same thing and i have come to the conclusion that i think it is best to run cat6 cable through the house. It should be a little easier for you as well since you've just moved in. i have a cluttered attic Undecided nothing beats being hardwired imo.
I agree with magao. Cat 6 since you're doing a virgin run. Speeds are only going up so max it out now while you have the opportunity. You'll be glad you did...
If your home network supports MoCA ie FiOS and you have coax wired to the needed rooms, you could use an ethernet to coax bridge (ECB).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cat5 vs WiFi vs Powerline0