Server Advice Appreciated :)
Hello,

I'm also entertaining the idea of having a server, but I've been on the fence with the decision of building one or buying a Synology. If I built, the specs in this thread seem like they would be perfect since I'm trying to accomplish many of the same goals as the OP.

From all the research I've done, it seems like the primary benefit of the Synology device is the support and ease of use since it arrives ready to go. On the other hand, the custom built server is more powerful and less expensive, but it requires time and effort to get it going.

I'd rather spend less money, but when you calculate time, effort, and reliability and figure that into a fair monetary value, is it really worth it?

Also -
1. Is RAID really worth it?
- If I built a server, I planned on doing RAID, but I also considered excluding RAID from the build and sticking to the backups. RAID or no RAID, I'd still have separate backups and if an entire drive is media, which wouldn't be changing, do I really need RAID? Without RAID, if the drive takes a dump then I can just put in the backup of that particular drive, right? I guess the benefit here would be to not worry about configuring the array, in addition to some of the other issues if/when the array is being rebuilt after a problem.

2. I'm new to servers, so I'm unsure...can I build a server that does everything or most of what a Synology can do? (I know you can build a server and use the Synology OS, but from what I've read, it isn't necessarily reliable.)

3. Server Goals: XBMC streaming to multiple devices, Couchpotato, Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, FTP, Cloud Storage, VMware, Surveillance Station (Blue Iris?), DNS...?...I don't know...what other cool stuff can I do?

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(2013-06-26, 14:10)solamnic Wrote: For PSU buy a named brand silent psu... it may cost more but it will save you money in the long run...
(i have always been loyal to seasonic... but corsair, silverstone will also do, or you may go fractal if you want to match the color of the case Smile....)

Just avoid any no name PSU...

definately if you can get a Seasonic their quality is legendary i run one in my server and with 12 drives plus a 512mb video card and Quad-Core i still only draw around 80 watts most of the time and that is a bronze plus psu

i am rebuilding my server soon and i am planning on buying a Gold Series Seasonic

I can also recommend Corsair or Antec any of these three wil be good i own at least one of each and they all work well

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server Advice Appreciated :)0