RPI x2 and MySQL slowness
Hi guys,

I've been using XBMC on my RPi for a long time now only for watching movie/tv shows.

The otherday i decided to set it up using a Shared MySQL DATABASE.

However this make using XBMC a very slow task... Everything works however it is down in pace...

Navigation through the menu is very slow..
When plying a file, the TV is is on but all i can see if a blank screen however the sound from the files can be heard. and after 20-30 seconds the video would appear.

Is there any tweaks that can be done to improve the functionality of this? Or the fact i'm using the RPi will mean i can't improve the settings.
Using MySQL made my xbmc more responsive.

Where are you running MySQL? On the same Pi as xbmc wouldn't be advised. Running it on a PC/linux machine would be better.
I'm using a QNAP TS410..

And the RPi have the latest version of Open Elec on... i think its 3.05.
Identical setup here, but only 1 Pi and 2 ATV'2

- XBian OS with XBMC updated to latest 12.2 Frodo release
- Central MySQL database on the NAS, all 3 devices configured to use the central DB (using IP's for hostname, not names)
- All the media on the NAS, using NFS protocol

Also using a very fast skin, Amber

I am using 200-500Mb powerline adapters between all the kit, not Wifi, and no issues here with slowdown.
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
(2013-06-25, 19:52)popcornmix Wrote: Using MySQL made my xbmc more responsive.

Where are you running MySQL? On the same Pi as xbmc wouldn't be advised. Running it on a PC/linux machine would be better.

I run mysql on the same Pi as xbmc and I don't see anything unreasonable in menu speed. A second Pi on my network runs its own mysql as well as apache2 and acts as a backup server to my GoDaddy-located server. And Pi2 connects to Pi1 via WIFI and everything is reasonable. I really don't recollect much difference in speed now as compared to before I ran mysql.
O ok...
My Qnap is quite slow, as its only got 256 ram, so it might be the db, slowing down everything.
In your advance settings are you guys setting anything beside the basic set up? As I'm using xbmc for a video lib only i've put the following in the advance settings.

<advancedsettings>
<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>
<host>192.168.0.84</host>
<port>3306</port>
<user>xbmc</user>
<pass>xbmc</pass>
</videodatabase>

<videolibrary>
<importwatchedstate>true</importwatchedstate>
</videolibrary>
<loglevel>2</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>
Hi shamz84,

Yes that is whats in my advancedsettings.xml - I also have the music db set up as well

Do you have much else running on the QNAP, or what is your network connection like between the Pi and the QNAP?

I have the following running constantly on my QNAP TS410

- NFS Services
- Web Services
- MySQL
- Sickbeard
- SabNZB
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
I had mine set up on MYSQL with 2 Pi's talking to it.. It died one day and i couldn't get it going and when i set them both back up as normal seperate SQLLITE DB's i couldn't believe how much faster they were than the MYSQL...

IMO, 2 seperate DB's Scheduled to scrape over night and the "watched" status synced via TRAKT.tv is the ideal solution for me.
I found out it was my nas, couldn't handle being a sql server on top of everything else.

I had a spare Pi and thought i'd try and install Raspbian on it with a mysql database.

This seem to have done the tick... Quite impressed how fast is...now i just need to sync the fan art in one location etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RPI x2 and MySQL slowness0