Setting up a NAS
So I've been looking into merging all my stuff in the easiest to access way possible. A Nas server seems to be exactly what I want. As I'm looking into it I'm getting more and more information and more and more confused honestly. Starting out I was going to be just using FreeNAS because I have an old desktop I'm not using that meets the ZFS requirements. And has a 500gig HD in it. So I thought it would be a good starting point then I'd expand into RAID and mutlidrive setups but that's a bit far ahead of where I'm at right now. Currently all my media is on a few separate external HD's. Movies on some TV shows on the other. 500 gigs compared to all of it total isn't much but since I'm just starting out I figure I'll just put what I'm currently watching on it and some oldies until I can get the money to add to it.

I'm just not sure what to use though as I'm reading a lot of the better stuff seem setup for more advanced rigs but since I'm using some basic stuff and will upgrade as I go along I'm not sure if it's good to start out with that. And I just want what's best for what I'm doing really. I've just started with XBMC but I've already gotten really used to it. My files are all named correctly and it works etc etc. When it comes to the NAS itself though I'm not sure what to setup. I've seen a lot of upnp is more preferred to mysql but any information I can find seems a bit outdated. Eventually I'll expand into the larger beefier stuff but right now I just want sort of a proof of concept up and running I can tinker with and learn with. Also as a sort of proof of concept for my roommates to share off of so I can get them to kick in some money for upgrades Tongue

Kind of just like my needs are a host of my files on my network that'll be able to have mutliple devices watching stuff off of it. Like 3 or so. And I don't want to slow down the network and I don't need the nas to transcode really. It'll be streaming to XBMC boxes and maybe a ps3 (if it can't play the MKV's I don't care I have only a few I usually mux them into mp4's) I don't have huge uncompressed bluerays because I'm not really at the point where quality completely out weighs size. And like 90% of my media is tv shows, so dvd quality overall. I just need a simple setup to ease into media servers. And I don't really want an HTPC hooked up to my tv. Just a box I plug into the modem and let sit. Since I'm letting roommates use my NAS with their own XBMC setup library sharing is kind of a worry for me. I'd like to keep the watched/playlist stuff separate but maybe merge a few like my computer and my tv. If that's not possible whatever, I haven't found a solid answer on that. I'm just worried that ''streaming'' from the nas to whatever I'm watching on will be slow or slowed down if we are all on it since I'm just using a older computer.

Sorry if it's long and bleh-ey I'm just not used to having to do this stuff. I have a friend who always helped me with hardware and network stuff and I did software and coding but he can't help me now. So I'm just starting to learn the more advanced stuff. Thanks in advanced for any help.
I think that you can't go much wrong with a Windows machine, and something like StableBit DrivePool

This gives you a familiar base operating system, the ability to run lots of applications if needed, and DrivePool gives you a simple way to expand your storage by adding or removing any drive, of any size, connected in any way, at any time.

For most people, they don't need the redundancy offered by complicated RAID setups for media storage. DrivePool allows you to duplicate just the folders you can't do without, such as photos, whilst allowing you to store everything in a simple way, with minimal configuration.
Hi

Not sure this is what you are looking for, but there is something that will do all of what you asked and more. I was in exactly the same boat and wanted to set up a NAS on an old desktop. I looked around for something suitable that would give me all the functionality I needed and also have the ability to teach me how to use the various different protocols etc.

I decided on FREENAS.

http://www.freenas.org/

Opensource Free software that has lots of support and is widely used. You install is on a USB stick following the step by step instructions and once done, you can then configure to your hearts content. It will enable advanced users and beginners alike to complete all the changes they want.

My NAS at the moment is sitting on an old desktop and is running perfectly. I have 2 500gb hard drives in it at the moment (still in POC) and they are configured in RAID.

All of my media is shared to XBMC and it runs perfectly streaming HD movies.

The permissions functionality of FreeNas is brilliant, and will enable you to set up a directory for each of your friends and give them access only to the areas that you want.

I actually do this, but I do it over the net using SFTP. I have opened up a port on my router to my NAS and my friends help themselves as and when. you would probably want to it locally, but it just shows what is able to be done.

Many formats and protocols are supported and it is impossible to list here, but you should check it out. For me, then spend was a tenner of a dedicated 4 GB USB stick. That was it!
Alright thanks. Freenas was the way I was planning to go. I have a bunch of large usb drives sitting around so that's not a problem.
I know you want to get this done but if you fail to plan just plan to fail...
My main advice regardless of what you use would be get a system the can support multiple drives for future growth like 3 - 6 drives.
I know this might seem crazy but 1T fills up quick and I have 4T now and will probably be expanding in the next 6 months to a year.
When you consider you store all your data, tv shows, movies, pics, home videos, console games, software it fills up quick.

freenas or unRaid are going to be your best options for software in my opinion.

I use unRaid myself just because that is what I started with but I think they are very similar and provide the same functionality.

Dont know if you use SAB or sickbeard or couchpotato but both unRaid and freenas have plugins for those as well as mysql, headphones, and of course transmission if you are into torrents.

Just my 2 cents!
יונתן בן-חיים
I have a plan, I was just wondering if there was anything I was missing. Since stuff I know already is being suggested I figure I'm covered enough. Big Grin I know storage fills up quick. I just got added picked up 2tbs in may and I already filled it up and I'm very size conscious so it's a bit startling. I tried using couch potato but it was kind of retarded. No matter what I set I couldn't get it to download the movie rips I prefer. It's like it either grabs a huge file or a small file. And when I asked support I got some lazy response I'd already tried. So I gave up on it. And I use Utorrent's RSS downloader for shows. It works perfectly fine except I just have to rename and move them then tell XBMC to update the library and I haven't seen anything that would cut those steps down.
Is this about software or hardware?
Software

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up a NAS0