Linux Intel G630T or i3 3225?
Long time lurker, first time poster with a question that I just can't seem to find the answer for. I'm about to build an XBMC front end to stream media over a wired connection from a central server. Basically I have everything I need specced out (Antec ISK 110, Noctua NH-L9i, 4 GB Ram, SSD, M-ITX mobo etc) but I have a question about the processor.

I've looked everywhere and I haven't found a solution that satisfies me yet. Basically will the Intel G630T handle ffwd, rewind and skipping around in the video without buffering and delay? I know it will handle 1080p playback but when I jump back and forth 30 seconds, 10 minutes etc will it have zero lag? I have a Raspberry Pi and while it handles normal playback well when I try to navigate through the stream it slows down and buffers etc and it drives me nuts. I know the 3225 will handle it but being about 50 bucks more I'm wondering if I could save that money and just get the G630T.

Oh and one other minor question. Will it handle heavy duty UI skins smooth as butter? If I can't find a "definitive" answer to these questions based on others experience I'll probably just bite the bullet and get the i3 3225 because in the long run 50 bucks won't break the bank as far as the build goes but if I can save that money it would be nice.

Thanks and thanks for all the useful information one can glean from lurking here.
Yes and yes. Even my celeron g530 machine could do all that with an SSD.
Awesome. Thank you! Heck maybe I can get some emulators to run on it too Big Grin
I would not spend any extra money to get a T version CPU. In a HTPC you are not going to see any less power use so you're paying a premium for a lower TDP CPU and you won't really see any benefit. Not sure where you are getting your hardware but currently on Newegg the G2020 is $3 cheaper than the G630 and $15 less than a G630T. In that case I'd go with the G2020 for sure.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Thank you.
I'g get a Celeron too, but I would get an Ivy Bridge or even wait for the Haswell Celerons to come.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel G630T or i3 3225?0