Req [Suggestion] Movie Set artwork conformity / standard
(2015-03-17, 10:43)JohnWPB Wrote: Yet another year & 3 main releases later and now a newly named XBMC -> Kodi, and NOTHING on this gap in XBMC.

You have to wait for a developer to care about this "gap" as much as you do. I would probably like it if set art were there but it doesn't bother me the way it is now because I am much more interested in the actual movie.

I have been writing code since I was 14 and while I can write pretty code I can't make things pretty so usually I put my emphasis on function over form.

To Nick's point you should probably look at future proofing your set-up a little better so you don't have to keep starting over. Consider your time spent/frustration as an expense and if possible invest more to lessen it. In other words, in some cases, the more you save today the more you may pay tomorrow.
I still don't think you are completely seeing everything I am trying to explain here. Yes, adding something like this from scratch is a LOT of work, and I absolutely do realize that. It would be a LOT of work from scratch to add just a few images. That being said, most of the work has already been done, and most of it functional already. It just needs a couple minor tweaks/additions to complete.

These features have been in the core code for something like 4 years now, and are so close to being complete, but just not quite fully implemented.

(2015-04-27, 13:54)uNiversal Wrote: FYI the whole movies sets meta/fanart feature requires: xml scraper regex / MYSQL/SQLITE and skinning skills and maybe a touch of C++ skills.

I will address each of your points:

"C++ skills" Adding the feature to Kodi's base code:
Currently, All of the code for Kodi to can handle movie sets is already done. Have a look at the settings/video/library screen where the option to "Group movies in sets is located".

You can then manage a movie set, adding and deleting movies from any set directly from within Kodi and can browse for the "Set Cover" you would like to use. When you select a Movie Set when browsing the library, it organizes and displays them correctly.

Skinning:
The ability to display the set art is already in most skins, to Include the default included Cofluence, as well as my skin of choice, Transparency.

"MYSQL/SQLITE" database tables
These tables obviously exist already, as you can download choose the images manually in Kodi, and it displays them for later use.

"xml scraper regex" for scraping:

The Kodi scrapers already retrieve what is needed. When an API request is made say to TMDB, it returns the JSON will EVERY item available for the movie. ALL images, ratings, text ect. When the scraper retrieves this information, it grabs the locations to the Poster, Fanart, and other images and then downloads them.

Here is a snippit of what is returned when Kodi makes a request for images such as poster and fanart. Note the 2 images that are currently downloaded by Kodi (Poster & Fanart) at the top, followed by the rest that can easily be added. It could not be easier, it is already there every single time Kodi makes a request with NO changes needed to request the information.

Quote:{
"name": "The Bourne Ultimatum",
"tmdb_id": "120",
"imdb_id": "tt0120737",
],
"movieposter": [
{
"id": "57317",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/movieposter/the-bourne-ultimatum-528aa45a8633a.jpg",
"lang": "en",
"likes": "4"
},
"moviefanart": [
{
"id": "50927",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/hdmovielogo/the-bourne-ultimatum-5232c108a0b11.png",
"likes": "7"
},
},
"moviesetfanart": [
{
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/hdmovielogo/the-bourne-ultimatum-7232c133a0c54.jpg",
},
],
"moviedisc": [
{
"id": "29003",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/moviedisc/the-bourne-ultimatum-5156389dc28f2.png",
"likes": "5",
"disc": "1",
"disc_type": "bluray"
},

],
"moviesetposter": [
{
"id": "1613",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/moviesetposter/the-bourne-ultimatum-4f78564165f48.png",
},

All that is needed to be done, that I can deduce without seeing Kodi's code is:

Add an additional line of code in the scraper for each of the new images, and then save those images them locally, and add the location to the database into the already existing tables.

Add a single line of code, when doing individual movie exports, to save those new images to the respective movie folders as it already does now for fanart, poster, .nfo ect.
------------------------------------------
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
(2015-04-27, 20:38)JohnWPB Wrote: I still don't think you are completely seeing everything I am trying to explain here. Yes, adding something like this from scratch is a LOT of work, and I absolutely do realize that. It would be a LOT of work from scratch to add just a few images. That being said, most of the work has already been done, and most of it functional already. It just needs a couple minor tweaks/additions to complete.

These features have been in the core code for something like 4 years now, and are so close to being complete, but just not quite fully implemented.

(2015-04-27, 13:54)uNiversal Wrote: FYI the whole movies sets meta/fanart feature requires: xml scraper regex / MYSQL/SQLITE and skinning skills and maybe a touch of C++ skills.

I will address each of your points:

"C++ skills" Adding the feature to Kodi's base code:
Currently, All of the code for Kodi to can handle movie sets is already done. Have a look at the settings/video/library screen where the option to "Group movies in sets is located".

You can then manage a movie set, adding and deleting movies from any set directly from within Kodi and can browse for the "Set Cover" you would like to use. When you select a Movie Set when browsing the library, it organizes and displays them correctly.

Skinning:
The ability to display the set art is already in most skins, to Include the default included Cofluence, as well as my skin of choice, Transparency.

"MYSQL/SQLITE" database tables
These tables obviously exist already, as you can download choose the images manually in Kodi, and it displays them for later use.

"xml scraper regex" for scraping:

The Kodi scrapers already retrieve what is needed. When an API request is made say to TMDB, it returns the JSON will EVERY item available for the movie. ALL images, ratings, text ect. When the scraper retrieves this information, it grabs the locations to the Poster, Fanart, and other images and then downloads them.

Here is a snippit of what is returned when Kodi makes a request for images such as poster and fanart. Note the 2 images that are currently downloaded by Kodi (Poster & Fanart) at the top, followed by the rest that can easily be added. It could not be easier, it is already there every single time Kodi makes a request with NO changes needed to request the information.

Quote:{
"name": "The Bourne Ultimatum",
"tmdb_id": "120",
"imdb_id": "tt0120737",
],
"movieposter": [
{
"id": "57317",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/movieposter/the-bourne-ultimatum-528aa45a8633a.jpg",
},
"moviefanart": [
{
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/hdmovielogo/the-bourne-ultimatum-5232c108a0b11.png",
},
},
"moviesetfanart": [
{
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/hdmovielogo/the-bourne-ultimatum-7232c133a0c54.jpg",
},
],
"moviedisc": [
{
"id": "29003",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/moviedisc/the-bourne-ultimatum-5156389dc28f2.png",
"likes": "5",
"disc": "1",
"disc_type": "bluray"
},

],
"moviesetposter": [
{
"id": "1613",
"url": "http://assets.fanart.tv/fanart/movies/120/moviesetposter/the-bourne-ultimatum-4f78564165f48.png",
},

All that is needed to be done, that I can deduce without seeing Kodi's code is:

Add an additional line of code in the scraper for each of the new images, and then save those images them locally, and add the location to the database into the already existing tables.

Add a single line of code, when doing individual movie exports, to save those new images to the respective movie folders as it already does now for fanart, poster, .nfo ect.

If it is that easy no doubt your PR will be on github later this week.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
JohnWPB might have sounded ungrateful when he said 'another year and nothing' (paraphrasing), but his point isn't invalid. He just needs to approach the request from a less negative perspective. If you update the thread once a year to see if it has been added, don't complain about it not being added, but talk about how awesome it would be to have this and remind people of the rewards it would bring. Feature requests forms are basically a sales pitch to devs who are looking for new projects, and you want to make your sales pitch sound as appealing as possible. For us non-coders, that's all we can really do.
If I had already finished my first project I would not mind looking into some of these things I am less passionate about. However, I haven't and at this rate I may never.

I have an Echo coming next week... maybe I will figure out how to side-load it with Kodi. Everyone is going to want to hear their movies on it, right?
WTF is an Echo?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Shame on you for asking a question:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_Echo

Kidding, of course.
"Alexa, Display recently added movies on the Living room TV" Smile
Intel Quad core 3.8 Ghz / Windows 11 Pro / 32 gigs RAM/ MCE Remote /20 Tb storage / Intel Iris 550 chip-set outputting 4k via HDMI to a 80" LED TV / just over 5,800 movies

Have you entered your 5 Movies? - Support themoviedb.org as THE best open source movie information site.
Oh you mean like we android users already have with yatse?
Actually it was a joke and, stupid me, I should know better on a support forum. Someone might get a remote interface to work on an Echo but it won't be me. That kind of thing is not really in my wheelhouse and the Echo is a first gen of its kind.
(2015-04-28, 05:01)nickr Wrote: Oh you mean like we android users already have with yatse?

Yes, but on steroids. The Echo is always listening, and no need to take out your phone/tablet, unlock it, find the app and launch it, and then select search, and then click the microphone.

With the Echo, anyone in the room could simply say "Alexa, display recently added movies". (just an example of what could be to come)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Suggestion] Movie Set artwork conformity / standard1