Win Tuner support in Windows Server 2012
Hello all,

First time poster. I tried to search but couldnt find this answered elsewhere. I have XMBC running on windows server 2012 (free from dreamspark!) and have just found out that there are difficulties in running a TV tuner in Windows server 2012. Does anybody have any advice on this? I have hoping to have the N54L as an all in one HTPC with an XFX HD6450 and tv tuner but now require your expertise!

Thanks in advance.
This is not going to help you in any way, but I don't think Windows Server is the optimal platform for running a HTPC. Unless you use it for other purposes I suggest you look into alternatives.
I do use it for other purposes. Any further suggestions? I thought about virtualising xbmc buntu but would prefer to avoid it.
(2013-06-29, 16:42)bowett Wrote: I do use it for other purposes. Any further suggestions? I thought about virtualising xbmc buntu but would prefer to avoid it.

If you can use a virtualization platform that can passthrough a PCI device this approach wouldn't be bad at all (I contemplated it for a friend but the project is one ice for now). I wouldn't use XBMCbuntu though if all you need to do is run the backend.

If you have a USB tuner basically every virtualization software would work since they all support USB passthrough to a guest.
Just an FYI, I'm running XBMC on Win Server 2012 using an HDHomeRun TV tuner for OTA channels. I can't say that Server 2012 is the best platform for XBMC, but it does seem to work okay. I originally chose it for its disk pooling technology (and I had a free license), but I haven't used that yet. Watching TV in XBMC has been pretty solid.
(2013-07-03, 17:45)awp0 Wrote: Just an FYI, I'm running XBMC on Win Server 2012 using an HDHomeRun TV tuner for OTA channels. I can't say that Server 2012 is the best platform for XBMC, but it does seem to work okay. I originally chose it for its disk pooling technology (and I had a free license), but I haven't used that yet. Watching TV in XBMC has been pretty solid.

Hi

What version of 2012 are you running? How did you get it to work?
Sorry for the late reply. I'll subscribe to this thread so I see your responses sooner.

I think I'm running Essentials. Or whatever the bare minimum version of Windows Server 2012 is. What problems are you experiencing? I don't remember having much trouble with the HDHomerun. It's a network-based tuner, but I believe it does install a pseudo driver so that the OS thinks it's a TV tuner. It's possible that I had to install it in compatibility mode or something (which is often the case with Windows Server). But it works great now along with ArgusTV and XBMC.

By the way, installing and configuring TV for XBMC isn't the easiest thing in the world. The guide helped a lot, but ArgusTV is really confusing to configure. It also requires MSSQL (which is free, but just another application to install). Once configured it works perfectly with XBMC and is very easy to use. There are alternatives to ArgusTV, but when I did this I think Argus was the best choice for HDHomerun and Windows.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Tuner support in Windows Server 20120