Recommendations for refurb workstation purchase into XBMC box
Ok, so my ancient P3 1GhZ with 1GB of Ram just isn't cutting it with x264 mp4 files these days.

All I really need is the ability to play SD xvid and x264 mp4 files along with the occasional flv files, 720p at the most. I rarely try to play 1080p. (Maybe when my internet connection is upgraded I'll switch to HD.)

So instead of buying another ATV1 like I have in the bedroom (since those prices have been creeping up), I figured I'd buy a refurb desktop and either run Windows or Linux, be able to do some web browsing, and set up SAB and Sickbeard.

So, I'm thinking a C2D system less than $150.

My question to you - which one would you go with? Dell (Optiplex 745, 750, 760 era) http://www.ebay.com/itm/330942131200?ssP...1438.l2649 ,

HP/Compaq (dc5750, 7800, 7900) http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=...-R&cat=SYS ,

or IBM/Lenovo (M57, 8807) http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=...01&cat=SYS .

How well do the integrated graphics work in these systems for what I need?

I'll probably go with a mini-tower to replace what I have (and have the option of adding a graphics card), but I must say I am intrigued by the USFF systems with small size but no slots.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130936797753?ssP...1438.l2649
My TV has VGA input, and I have a DVI to HDMI if a system has a DVI out, but the integrated graphics would have to be decent.

Content would come from a NAS, streamed via 10/100 ethernet. I have a Blu-Ray that can play Amazon, YouTube and VUDU, but I wouldn't mind the convenience of some streaming (icefilms, Navi-X, etc.) Not a deal breaker though. No Netflix needed.

Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Raspberry Pi seems perfect for you. Really small and cheap (with everything probably around 50-60euro 60-80$)

Sd, 720p working really good, 1080p is working as long as the files are not to big for the 100mbit network.

Install openelec and you are ready to go.

The workstations should work but I would pay a bit more and get one of those mini PCs.
Becareful, intergrated gpu's from a few years ago were really bad, and from a quick look at the ones that you linked they to seem to be the kind... no hdmi outs and they probably wont provide hardware decoding in linux. Have you looked at a used atom/ion combo? Ive seen links to celeron NUC's for not much more than you want to pay. Or you could put a nvidia gpu thats supports vdpau into your current build, install openelec and have a very capable htpc.

A link to a Celeron NUC on amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Next-Computi...eleron+nuc
I have been intrigued by the RasPi, but it seemed like it was not ready for prime time the last time I looked at it - slow menus, prone to SD card corruption (and I have had issues with SD cards in cameras, phones and mp3 players), etc. But I might take another look. Thanks!

Also, the NUC is tempting, but $165 + $5 for a power cord + $25-35 for RAM + I don't have any USB 3.0 flash drives and I assume you would want one of those for the fastest response (I know running the ATV from the flash drive was frustrating for my wife). By then you are over $200.

I haven't seen many good priced atoms used. I'll look around.

As for upgrading the current box, probably not. I only have a PCI slot. No 'E'. I think the current card is a whopping 8MB. I added it because the on board was 1MB and my wife wanted to watch DVDs without pixelation. It was originally an eMachines Celeron box, so that gives you an idea of what we are working with. I thought about buying one of the few NVIDIA HDMI capable PCI cards, but they all were over $55, and at that point I figured I was half-way to a refurb almost. Guess I could look for a used one...

I had thought the integrated graphics on the level of refurb I was looking at was ok for SD video (Intel GMA 3100 or later usually, DirectX 9 or better), but thanks for letting me know.

Maybe I'll just keep an eye out for another good deal on an ATV1 or try an OUYA.

Anyone else?

Thanks again!
I have a Dell Optiplex gx620 and 755 SFF both C2D running well with Windows 7 and 8 respectively. Would advise against the USFF due to lack of expandability, but with the SFF you can do cool things like get a bracket to put two notebook or SSD drives in the desktop hd slot. You will obviously have higher power consumption with a full computer but that is your choice. These systems can be found off lease for about $100 online. Just upgrade RAM and your video card and you're good to go, probably right at your budget.
(2013-07-01, 01:00)Timewalker Wrote: I had thought the integrated graphics on the level of refurb I was looking at was ok for SD video (Intel GMA 3100 or later usually, DirectX 9 or better), but thanks for letting me know.

They will be ok for sd video, maybe even 1080p in wndows, and they have strong cpus for backup.
HP DC7100 and a low profile nvidia card was my last cheap machine. Under $150 for the system.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Weird. I thought I had posted a reply before I went to bed last night.
Anyway, thanks nchall. How much ram are you using with Win7?

Nickr/Nchall - recommendations for a budget video card?

Teedub- thanks. As I said in my first post, about 99% of my stuff is SD, with the odd 720p mkv thrown in.

Thanks!
GT610 low profile fanless.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
I would hesitate to put money into an old P4 and then a add-on GPU. Consider a DIY build with more recent technology, or hunt for a deal on Craigslist (if that's an option).

Otherwise, I have had good experience with Foxconn SFFs. (NT-A3700/A3500) I recently picked up a slightly used one off Ebay for about $100, add memory $18, add a good quality usb stick ($10), install Openelec and you are in business. If you want to put in a hard drive and run Ubuntu it will handle it with ease. Right now I have a 3700 as an OpenELEC HTPC and a 3500 as a desktop running windows 7 64 (kids computer).
Thanks! Craigslist around here hasn't been very fruitful. Local folks value their stuff waaaay to much and the economy has been such that businesses aren't turning over their PC inventory like they used to. I have a new ebay search set up for some nvidia ion systems as well as the C2Ds. I'll keep you posted. Might be a little while as my federal job starts furloughs next week, so I'll be losing 20% of my income for the next 11 weeks.

Thanks for all of the feedback! I welcome any more you may have.
Quick update - I actually found a good deal on another ATV1. Installed Crystalbuntu 2.0 and we are up and running with no issues.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep this post handy for future needs.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommendations for refurb workstation purchase into XBMC box0