Req Sort movie library by writers
Alright,

directors and actors might be the main stars in a film. Most people want to watch a movie because it was shot by a particular director, or because a particular actor plays in it. But what about the writers - the ones who actually create the stories which directors shoot, and actors play? Perhaps aren't they visible enough to get their own "sort by" option?

I love the xmbc's ability to sort movies by genres, years, actors and directors. It is enlightening, it makes you look at different movies in a different way. That's why I'd be happy to sort my library by writers as well, and perhaps wonder, "what? 'The Incredible Shrinking Man' was written by the same guy who wrote 'Duel'! What else did he write?"

If I only had the slightest idea how to do it, I would get to work right away.

Anybody interested?
You can do this either by creating a smart playlist (wiki) or by modifying the existing nodes via custom video nodes (wiki).
I just realized that this won't do exactly what you're asking here. I'll poke around and see what I can find out.
That's right,

somebody suggested here that I could use smart playlists, but unfortunately I couldn't get very far.

Funnily enough, I came across a list of all writers in the movie library while choosing a writer's name for a smart playlist (see screenshot). However, I can't figure out how to get that list to behave in the same way as the list of directors, actors, years, genres.

Any help would be highly appreciated!
I ask for the same thing... No answer ? :-(
There should now be the right options for grouping by writers in video nodes and smart playlists in v14.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sort movie library by writers1