Failed playback via FTP
I have been playing around to see if i can share my collection to family members via FTP but "some" don't seems to be working.

I have the FTP site mapped and id say about 60% play without issue but some just refuse to play, it tries for about 30 seconds and then errors: "one or more items failed to play, check the logs file for details".

the logs report:
Code:
15:39:06 T:2901820512   ERROR: Open - Error, could not open file ftp://--MY FTP SITE--:21/Media/Movies/--MOVIE DIRECTORY--/--MOVIE NAME--.avi
15:39:06 T:2901820512   ERROR: OpenDemuxStream - Error creating demuxer
15:39:06 T:3045969920   ERROR: Playlist Player: skipping unplayable item: 0, path [ftp://--MYFTP SITE--:21/Media/Movies/--MOVIE DIRECTORY--/--MOVIE NAME--.avi]

I'm positive the file is there and playable.

when i access the same file via SMB it works perfectly? I thought it may be a size issue but looking at the files that fail there does not seem to be any pattern i can make out?

Any ideas would be a great help, thanks
Can you play the file over ftp from xbmc on another platform (e.g. windows)?
I have my server (windows) which has my collection, when i connect to it from XBMC using FTP i get that play error (tried SFTP and get an error as well) BUT when i connect vis SMB the video plays perfectly.

This is not occurring on all videos, i can play most videos just fine via FTP (as said above, 60% roughly)... I have no means of testing an XBMC instance running on windows, the Pi's cant handle it. But i do have a different computer running an instance of XBMCbuntu and when i map my collection VIA FTP i get the same error.
Okay, so xbmcbuntu gives the error as pi, so it's not a Pi specific error.
Could be an general xbmc problem, or it could be a problem with your ftp server.

I'd suggest you ask this question in a general xbmc section of the forum where it's more likely someone who knows about xbmc + ftp will see it.
Thanks popcornmix, will do
new location

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168300

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Failed playback via FTP0