Free Beer & Boobies
Okay so no free beer and no boobies. Sorry to disappoint, but since I have your attention already, I am pretty green to the HTPC and could use help on my first build or buy. I am not not hesitant to jump in and build my own, am not computer illiterate, but I am definitely a novice.

I would like my HTPC to be able replace the following stand alone's but still have the same or similar functionality:

Logitech Revue (Google TV) (I really like the ease of use, apps, channels etc and was hoping there is some way to at least incorporate the Android Market onto the HTPC instead of as a stand alone)
Sling Box (Mobile access is convenient but not important enough to be a deal breaker)
Blu Ray (Replace my Blu ray drive on the HTPC but I do have a quality stand alone so again not a deal breaker)
Cable (Just bough an HDTV antenna and I will need a TV tuner as well as some sort of channel guide)
DVR ( I would like to be able to use the HTPC as a DVR to record the OTA TV)

Uses

Will be streaming Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime
Will be the main source for TV in the home
I don't download much now, but this may change with the new setup

Musts/Needs
Ability to train wife and kids to use the unit without going nuts when I am not home
Remote- Keyboard remote is fine, currently using a Logitech with the revue anyway
Internet browsing
If a full size tower, must be able to lay horizontally due to my set up.

I really need to keep this as cost effective as possible.I am not opposed to sourcing preowend parts and building gradually, or running Ubunto as my OS to help put the cost into hardware. The kicker is I would ideally like to be under $500 US if possible. I am willing to add or upgrade hardware gradually.

I would also like to find out if there is a way to access the HTPC from other TV sources in the house. I have smart home with easy panel access. I have 4 hard wire Ethernet ports and 2 coax behind my TV. Every room in the house has 2 coax and 2 Ethernet but not necessarily at the same drop. I also have a Cisco N router with solid connection through the home. At minimum I would need access in the master bedroom. If a minimal unit is need, I can add this later too.

Should I just build from scratch or find an old PC (or a few) and part out and and build on it? If so, just tell me what options/parts to search for. Options are good. I think the processor, blu ray, and hard drive seem to make sense on what is needed. Where I get lost is the motherboard, fans, video cards, etc. and whether parts are compatible or will work in harmony or not.

So I know that is a lot, but any help here is greatly appreciated.
Of course, I'd DIY Smile. Do you need 3D support? If not, you could get away with something pretty small and inexpensive for this. No ugly beige towers needed.

Here is a blueprint for something you could build: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ei7intel.html. Without 3D, you'd need only the G1610. Add a blu-ray player (any 12.7mm one off eBay), HDD or SDD, 4GB RAM and an Inteset IR receiver (works with Harmony) and you'd be good to go under $500 plus the cost (if any) of your chosen OS.
Netflix means OS=Windows
For remote access you can share your library using UPnP(DNLA), If your remote TV is not smart you can use a raspberry pi to give you the full XBMC experience as well as access to the HTPC. (especially if it has a HDMI socket and CEC capability)
or Netflix means Android Smile
or Roku 3 Smile
Roku 3 can't do XBMC, Android can Smile
(2013-07-03, 01:00)davilla Wrote: or Netflix means Android Smile

Android means Pivos Xios? Or is there another Android box reliable & versitile enough to recommend?
(2013-07-03, 06:47)davilla Wrote: Roku 3 can't do XBMC, Android can Smile

I finally got to try one of these and if weren't for the WAF (having to switch between Roku and PC) I'd have one. Netflix, VUDU, etc. are so much better on a puck. If it had XBMC and CableCard liveTV/EPG support it'd be the holy grail of HTPC. But, we don't need the universe collapsing in on itself which is what I am pretty sure will happen if there's one device that does all perfectly well.
You should look into a hdhomerun prime. They stream via upnp and can be up and running in no time.

Even better if you have a machine that you can run mythtv or tvheyon.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Free Beer & Boobies2