• 2(current)
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents
So here is a suggestion for down the road if you keep going with this program. Implement a stack to sync the sqlite databases from different XBMC machines with either manual edits to the advancesettings.xml or possibly a add-on that the user can configure to point to your video streaming server program. I know you can already do that with MySQL but I think this would be a lot cleaner method to do so.

Another thing that might make it easier in the future is to convert this server as a WebUI add-on for XBMC so that the user can rely on the built-in webserver packages that XBMC has or try to work on a headless XBMC client with this integrated into it.
(2013-07-07, 20:18)tallnerd1985 Wrote: So here is a suggestion for down the road if you keep going with this program. Implement a stack to sync the sqlite databases from different XBMC machines with either manual edits to the advancesettings.xml or possibly a add-on that the user can configure to point to your video streaming server program. I know you can already do that with MySQL but I think this would be a lot cleaner method to do so.

Are you talking about accessing a remote library from within XBMC? That's definitely outside the scope of this application, even though it would be a very cool feature.

(2013-07-07, 20:18)tallnerd1985 Wrote: Another thing that might make it easier in the future is to convert this server as a WebUI add-on for XBMC so that the user can rely on the built-in webserver packages that XBMC has or try to work on a headless XBMC client with this integrated into it.

That would certainly be a good idea, although I haven't done any research on XBMC web interface addons. I assume they have to be written in Python (which I have never used)?
Could you please explain the "insecure" nature of the script a little further? What exactly is at risk, and for an average user, without going through secret proxies etc, what would be the best method to prevent non-NSA level of intruders from destroying my XBMC library or wiping clean my hard drives?

Thanks!
(2013-07-08, 08:32)ilovecats Wrote: Could you please explain the "insecure" nature of the script a little further? What exactly is at risk, and for an average user, without going through secret proxies etc, what would be the best method to prevent non-NSA level of intruders from destroying my XBMC library or wiping clean my hard drives?

Thanks!

The insecurity stems from the fact that the media links (those that you open in VLC for example) either contain your username and password to XBMC's web server, or alternatively they are password-less (if you use a reverse proxy). In the first case, the worst thing that can happen is someone can control your XBMC remotely until you change the password. In the second case, someone who gets his hands on a movie download link can potentially guess the links to other files in your library too.

My advice to you is to not give out access to this application to people that you don't trust.
Quote:The insecurity stems from the fact that the media links (those that you open in VLC for example) either contain your username and password to XBMC's web server, or alternatively they are password-less (if you use a reverse proxy). In the first case, the worst thing that can happen is someone can control your XBMC remotely until you change the password. In the second case, someone who gets his hands on a movie download link can potentially guess the links to other files in your library too.

My advice to you is to not give out access to this application to people that you don't trust.

Thanks. Can I assume that if I disable streaming/downloading of the media (does such an option exist?), and use the server solely for browsing info, there will be no such security concerns?

And when you referred to "XBMC's web server", did you mean the built-in HTTP server of XBMC? Is it required for streaming/downloading via your server?
(2013-07-09, 10:13)ilovecats Wrote: Thanks. Can I assume that if I disable streaming/downloading of the media (does such an option exist?), and use the server solely for browsing info, there will be no such security concerns?

You're correct, if such an option would exist then there would be no security issues since the API credentials are only exposed through the download/streaming links. I'm reluctant to add such a feature though since there are a million alternative library management interfaces out there. The purpose of this one is precisely to allow streaming and downloading, not much else.

(2013-07-09, 10:13)ilovecats Wrote: And when you referred to "XBMC's web server", did you mean the built-in HTTP server of XBMC? Is it required for streaming/downloading via your server?

Indeed that's what I'm referring to, and yes, it is necessary to use it for streaming/downloading. Technically the application could read the media files directly from the harddrive, but that is assuming XBMC is running on localhost, plus you'd have to grant read access for your web server's user to your whole library (which generally isn't a good idea), plus you wouldn't be able to stream RARed content. All in all I don't think such an option will be added either since it's much work for little gain.

On a side note, has anyone been able to install this thing yet? I realize the installation instructions are relatively complicated, that's just the way it is with modern web application (installing web applications correctly is usually not for laymen).
Tried on a fully working windows php install but I get:

Code:
Warning: require_once(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x/../vendor/autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x/../vendor/autoload.php' (include_path='.;C:\php\pear') in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13

Problems with linux slashes maybe?

EDIT: works ok if I change the slashes. But /vendor directory is not included on GitHub?

Code:
Warning: require_once(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\vendor\autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13
(2013-07-09, 15:34)zag Wrote: Tried on a fully working windows php install but I get:

Code:
Warning: require_once(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x/../vendor/autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13 Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x/../vendor/autoload.php' (include_path='.;C:\php\pear') in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13

Problems with linux slashes maybe?

EDIT: works ok if I change the slashes. But /vendor directory is not included on GitHub?

Code:
Warning: require_once(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\vendor\autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\x\index.php on line 13

The vendor directory is created when you run "php composer.phar install". The slashes shouldn't be a problem, I can open e.g. "C:\Users/Me\Documents\SourceTree/yii\composer.json" from the Start menu just fine.

@zag Currently the application doesn't work correctly without mod_rewrite, which is an Apache thing. If you end up with just 404 pages wherever you go, try commenting out the whole snippet below from src/protected/config/main.php

PHP Code:
'urlManager'=>array(

'urlFormat'=>'path',

'showScriptName'=>false,

'rules'=>array(

'<controller:\w+>/<id:\d+>'=>'<controller>/view',

'<controller:\w+>/<action:\w+>/<id:\d+>'=>'<controller>/<action>',

'<controller:\w+>/<action:\w+>'=>'<controller>/<action>',
    ),
), 

@zag: You also have to put the whole project somewhere in your webroot, not just the src/ directory.
I would love to use this, but it's not very windows friendly. I'll just have to wait a bit. Smile
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
(2013-07-09, 19:37)ghostelement Wrote: I would love to use this, but it's not very windows friendly. I'll just have to wait a bit. Smile

I'm afraid you'll have to wait quite a while. It's possible to install the whole thing on Windows but the process is very complicated like I mentioned earlier. I suggest you grab VirtualBox and Ubuntu and install it in a virtual machine. You'll find a bunch of guides on the Internet on how to install Linux, after that you'll just have to follow the instructions on Github for installing the application itself (it assumes a completely vanilla installation).

You can PM me if you need any help!
(2013-07-05, 15:52)negge Wrote: I tried the Microsoft Web Platform installer but couldn't get it to work (IIS installed but it's nowhere to be found). I also started writing a step-by-step guide to installing XAMPP and getting the application to run, but the steps involved are very many and complicated so for now the best way to use this on Windows is to install Ubuntu Server in a virtual machine (e.g. in VirtualBox, which is free) and following the steps in the readme.
XAMPP needs too many steps to install? It's only like 4 clicks.
edit: ah, you meant the additional steps required to get your webinterface running (compozer and such). But why do you have to install sqlite3? Can't you auto-import the DB schema via PHP and PDOConfusedqlite ?
Seems to mostly work on Crystalbuntu. I'm having issues actually seeing episode lists, but the "Watch the whole season" link works. I'll keep playing with it, but let me know if there's anything I can provide, like a log of some kind.
(2013-07-10, 10:28)da-anda Wrote:
(2013-07-05, 15:52)negge Wrote: I tried the Microsoft Web Platform installer but couldn't get it to work (IIS installed but it's nowhere to be found). I also started writing a step-by-step guide to installing XAMPP and getting the application to run, but the steps involved are very many and complicated so for now the best way to use this on Windows is to install Ubuntu Server in a virtual machine (e.g. in VirtualBox, which is free) and following the steps in the readme.
XAMPP needs too many steps to install? It's only like 4 clicks.
edit: ah, you meant the additional steps required to get your webinterface running (compozer and such). But why do you have to install sqlite3? Can't you auto-import the DB schema via PHP and PDOConfusedqlite ?

I guess the schema could be imported using PHP, it would certainly be great to get rid of the sqlite3 CLI tool dependency. I'll look into this.

(2013-07-10, 14:59)Ned Scott Wrote: Seems to mostly work on Crystalbuntu. I'm having issues actually seeing episode lists, but the "Watch the whole season" link works. I'll keep playing with it, but let me know if there's anything I can provide, like a log of some kind.

What do you mean by "issues actually seeing episode lists"? Could you post a screenshot?

There's a log file in src/protected/runtime/application.log that you could upload somewhere if you'd like, although I'm not sure if it will contain anything interesting unless you get an exception of some sort.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2340692/XBMCVS.png

It doesn't show a list in Safari or FireFox.
@da-anda: https://github.com/Jalle19/xbmc-video-se...dcf994e6eb

No need for sqlite3 anymore!

@ned Scott: you're completely missing all CSS. Does this work for you in some browser or is it the same in all of them?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents9