• 4(current)
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents
Any chance we can get music streaming included with this?
thegamesdb.net - An open video games database.
scottbrant.net - Blog
(2013-07-15, 23:06)ghostelement Wrote: Any chance we can get music streaming included with this?

Chances are slim at the moment. I don't use the library functions for music at all, plus there are many more mature projects aimed at music streaming available already. This project mainly addresses the need for video streaming.

I started working on a way to stream PVR channels today but sadly the JSON-RPC API has very limited PVR support so for now that feature is on ice.
Had to sign up just for saying thanks for this. Are there any plans that allows a user to seek somewhere in the video without having to buffer the whole thing first? Right now I'm able to do that in VLC by simply pasting a URL from a video in a web directory.
Any plans for transcoding?
(2013-07-16, 14:57)bzellinger Wrote: Had to sign up just for saying thanks for this. Are there any plans that allows a user to seek somewhere in the video without having to buffer the whole thing first? Right now I'm able to do that in VLC by simply pasting a URL from a video in a web directory.

Thanks! The streaming from this app works the same as if you'd open a link to a video file in VLC, so seeking should work just fine. Are you having issues with it? I know for a fact that AVI files can be trouble-some (lots of video corruption unless you happen to skip directly to a key frame).

(2013-07-16, 17:42)Ommand Wrote: Any plans for transcoding?

I don't think so, it is outside the scope of this project. Transcoding can't be done in PHP so the application would need additional components, which is not exactly something I had in mind.

@zag: any luck getting it to work on IIS (see my reply to your earlier post)? I added a proper guide for installing the whole thing using XAMPP, you may want to try that out since you'll have to edit the main configuration file in order to get the thing working on non-Apache web servers.
It does this for all videos, all formats. Even low bit rate mp4's with aac. I have your software on a Linux box along with XBMC. XMBC's movie library is on a Windows share. I wonder if that's why it wants to buffer the entire thing. I will add a video locally to the Linux box and see if it does the same.

Oh, I saw this mentioned before about using an in-browser media player (mp4 aac). What about utilizing the VLC plugin for browsers?
@bzellinger: That's very odd, I haven't been able to replicate that on any setup I've tried so far.

I've had bad experiences with the VLC browser plugin but I'll look into it!

@Ommand: I looked into transcoding, I'm able to get it to transcode but the file it creates can't be streamed by VLC for some reason until the transcoding is complete, which is kinda useless. I'll see if I can find a solution, if so then transcoding support could actually be a possibility since there's a great PHP wrapper for ffmpeg out there
Just a heads up: Plex does transcoding and plays via a browser. (flash or html5 player)
I just added a video locally and it still wants to buffer - fyi. It also does it on the Linux box.

Thanks for looking.
@bzellinger: do you know what format Plex is transcoding to? I tried to transcode to .mp4 yesterday but I couldn't play the file in any way until the transcoding was finished. I read somewhere that it's simply not possible to do with .mp4 files. If I can get it to work with WebM there is a possibility that I could integrate an in-browser media player without any browser plugins (e.g. the VLC plugin) but in either case it's quite complicated.

(2013-07-17, 01:16)bzellinger Wrote: I just added a video locally and it still wants to buffer - fyi. It also does it on the Linux box.

Thanks for looking.

Just to make sure, are you opening the video using the "Watch" button or the download buttons?
Hi,
Your work is just amazing and I was looking for something like that for a while.
I installed your application on my wamp server and it works great.
But I still have an issue :
When I try to dowload / watch a file remotly (through internet), the link contains "localhost" and not my DNS like it does when I go from page to page on your site.
for ex when I download a file, the link is : http://localhost:8080/vfs/****.avi and not http://mydns:8080/vfs/****.avi

What did I do wrong,
bernus
(2013-07-17, 12:10)bernus Wrote: Hi,
Your work is just amazing and I was looking for something like that for a while.
I installed your application on my wamp server and it works great.
But I still have an issue :
When I try to dowload / watch a file remotly (through internet), the link contains "localhost" and not my DNS like it does when I go from page to page on your site.
for ex when I download a file, the link is : http://localhost:8080/vfs/****.avi and not http://mydns:8080/vfs/****.avi

What did I do wrong,
bernus

Make sure the IP address you have entered to your backend settings is public.
Hi again,
I did put "localhost" as backend.
When I switched it to my DNS, I get an error when I try to see my movies in the "XBMC Video Server" :
Error 500
Unable to connect to mydns:8080. Error #0: stream_socket_client():

If I try "mydns:8080" in firefox, it works well (my xbmc webserver is working fine).

Bernus
@bernus: try using the internal IP address instead of the DNS name. Naturally that won't work over the Internet though. I use a DNS name myself and I have no problems on my end. Try pinging "mydns" from the machine you've installed XBMC Video Server on and see if you get a response, if that's the case then there's something weird going on.

On second thought, it may be that your DNS name points to your external IP address so it only works over the Internet, not on your local network. That's a classic network problem and you'll be able to fix that by pointing "mydns" to the internal address of your XBMC server in /etc/hosts on the computer running XBMC Video Server.
Hi,
thanks for the quick answer.
It didn't work at all, local or over the internet.
When I put this in my hosts file : 192.168.***.*** mydns, I can now see the Movies and TVShows !
Everything works great !

I still have a few questions though :

For some movies, the button "download" is not available. Instead, I have "The file(s) for this item is not available". Why?

Another question : Do someone know if it's possible to start the XBMC WebServer without starting XBMC ? Like a standalone service ?
Or would it be possible to use XBMC Video Server connected to a XBMC Mysql database (I heard it was possible to use a Mysql database for XBMC)?

Thx for the help !
Bernus
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Video Server: stream/download your library contents9