Hardware Options For XBMC
Hi All,

I'm in need of some guidance. I recently entered the world of XBMC. Sadly it was not meant to be as the Zotac Zbox AD04 I specifically bought for the task had some annoying issues (not related to OpenELEC or XBMC) so was ultimately returned to supplier for a refund.

I'm hoping someone can spec me a suitable XBMC solution which meets the following criteria;
  • Will only be used for XBMC, nothing more
  • Smooth playback of high bitrate 1080p MKV files
  • Must pass through Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 through SPDIF optical
  • Must be silent or quiet
  • After spending nigh on £275 previously, I'm hoping I can find a solution for less than £150?

A moment ago I very nearly pulled the trigger on a Raspberry Pi, complete with SD card, mains charger, case and a ViewHD Premium HDMI to HDMI + Audio (SPDIF + RCA L / R) Audio Extractor (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ViewHD-Premium-A...hdmi+spdif). This lot amounted to nearly £100. Considering the Pi itself is only £30 and I'm still unsure from various opinions if its suitable for me or not, especially given that I'm making it an expensive option by having to buy the HDMI/optical splitter at £40+, more than the Pi itself.

Is there seriously no off the shelf options that can run 1080p stable with a built in optical out? If not, what a hell of a gap in the market. Until then I'm stuck with my trusty old WDTV Live Gen 1.
Mygica/Geniatech atv1200 running android.
If you don't need the optical out, then a Celeron NUC running openelec is a good platform.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Options For XBMC0