USB IR Reciever - How to verify it's output?
I have a Rpi with OpenELEC running Frodo and all works great by usb keyboard. I bought a cheap IR remote control with USB IR receiver. When I say cheap, the case on the remote is twisted. The key mapping sucks as well and is not very helpful. The remote is recognized by the system and does operate in general.

I am trying to replace the remote with my DirecTV universal remote but my problem is, I don't even know if the USB IR Receiver is 38 khz compatible. I would like to first see if the any data is being received and transferred into the Rpi, then of course record and map the key presses.

I have searched the forums (XBMC & RPI) with nothing but GPIO IR Receiver data which didn't help since I'm using a USB connection and not the GPIO. Read up on keyboard and remote mapping but those didn't point me in the direction I feel I need to start in.

Any pointers would be helpful.
I think ir-keytable gives the info you want.
My guess would be the system recognizes the receiver as a keyboard/mouse and not an IR receiver making using a different remote quite a challenge. Why not use the GPIO solution?? A TSOP****38 is only a couple of bucks and you can use any remote without too many problems
If I have been of help, please add to my reputation as a way of saying thanks, it's free.
(2013-07-07, 02:55)Dilligaf Wrote: My guess would be the system recognizes the receiver as a keyboard/mouse and not an IR receiver making using a different remote quite a challenge. Why not use the GPIO solution?? A TSOP****38 is only a couple of bucks and you can use any remote without too many problems
I may go down this road just because it's easier and I was pricing the IR Diode at Mouser Electronics, thought I'd buy 5 of them since they are like 65 cents each. I was hoping though to use the USB IR dongle I have and ditch the crappy remote that came with it. I have a Harmony remote I could use but I really want to use my DirecTV remote so I don't have to hunt down an extra remote.

@nickjr
So I'm looking into ir-keytable and it looks like I will need to uninstall lirc in order to use it since it's not built in to OpenELEC for the rpi. Does this sound right? I could always fire up Raspbian and work it from that angle I guess.

Oh yes, I guess I cannot install ir-keytable with the OpenELEC build, apt-get is not a working command. Raspbian I guess it is. Please let me know if I'm on the right track? It is about learning how the rpi works otherwise I'd have bought a Roku2 XD for $65.00. And I think I'll buy another rpi in a few months. These are cool little toys and they do so much more than play video.

EDIT: I just placed my order with Mouser for five TSOP38238 IR Diodes, six 8 pin 2 row headers, and five 6 pin 1 row headers. Total cost to my door is $12.22. I bought enough for any other project since I had a $4.99 shipping charge. The headers will be soldered to the rpi through holes so I can take advantage of the reset connection and any other connections in the future. I still will pursue the USB IR gizmo I have just because I want to find out what makes it tick.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
USB IR Reciever - How to verify it's output?0